Baby pigeons positive for ornithosis - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 19th May 2019, 05:39 AM

Baby pigeons positive for ornithosis

Dear all,

I was recently brought two healthy looking baby pigeons of about 10 days of age. Someone took a whole nest off a building and threw it away, so I took the babies in for hand feeding.

I took poop samples to the vet just to check if I missed something. In the meantime, babies are eating great and growing very good.

So 5 days later vet calls and they have some bacillus, but they also have ornithosis. They do not show any signs of an illness thou, but have the disease.
As I plan to release them once they are big enough, vet said to give doxycicline, 2.5 mg, once a day, and up the dose by 2 mg ever week, until I reach 5 mg a day. And I stop once they fly away. he said this will stop Chlamydia to be excreted trough body fluids so I am OK, and they will also still have the disease when they fly away so they can build up their immunity.

I was a bit concerned about their development if they are on doxy from day 15 of their life onward. Will this harm them? They will probably be with me for at least 20 days... Do you have any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 19th May 2019, 07:28 AM
I would dose them with bird specific probiotics a week before you release after the doxy is done. The doxy will kill the good bacteria well as the bad.

Another problem is though, how will they know where and how to eat and forage after you let them go?
Posted 19th May 2019, 08:15 AM
They have probiotics in their formula. And will continue to receive them in their food.
I have hand fed many feral pigeons and they join the flock of the ones arriving to my feeders.

I am not worried about this, but will doxy harm them in any way since they are taking it so young.

Posted 19th May 2019, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFeral View Post
They have probiotics in their formula. And will continue to receive them in their food.
I have hand fed many feral pigeons and they join the flock of the ones arriving to my feeders.

I am not worried about this, but will doxy harm them in any way since they are taking it so young.
Any medications are a risk, but it outweighs the benefit.

The probiotics in the feed are not doing much as it is being killed by the doxy. The probiotic should be given after the medication. To rebuild their good gut bacteria. When they have a good firmer stool, then do your release , which sounds promising from your description.
Posted 19th May 2019, 10:34 AM
I just feel so bad because they show no signs of illness. The only reason I am poisoning them right now with doxy is to prevent them from shedding the disease and thus infecting me. I feel so bad. Poor babies.

PS they will get probiotics after, sprinkled on the food of course. I sprinkle supplements and porbiotics on the feeders sometimes even if the birds are OK, especially during molting or nesting.
Posted 19th May 2019, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFeral View Post
I just feel so bad because they show no signs of illness. The only reason I am poisoning them right now with doxy is to prevent them from shedding the disease and thus infecting me. I feel so bad. Poor babies.

PS they will get probiotics after, sprinkled on the food of course. I sprinkle supplements and porbiotics on the feeders sometimes even if the birds are OK, especially during molting or nesting.
Sounds like a great plan! Very nice of you to care for them.

Tags
pigeon ornithosis