bad canker/pox pigeon - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 27th July 2007, 08:04 AM

bad canker/pox pigeon

ok, most of you know this guy, he was mentioned in my other thread. sorry to confuse things.
here's the link to his pics again

http://pets.webshots.com/album/560023207XJwuAt

being treated with baytril and flagyl.
put diluted iodine on beak with brush, nostrils completely eaten away.
bad canker inside beak, cannot eat on own. am carefully tube-feeding.
outlook poor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 27th July 2007, 08:53 AM
Poor little fella.........that's sad. I hope he'll make it through. You're an angel.
Posted 27th July 2007, 09:44 AM
Poor bird! I did not know that canker can be so nasty.

Hopefully he'll survive this ordeal.

I think you're doing great for the birds, Moxie!

Posted 27th July 2007, 09:48 AM
Moxie, it takes a lot of courage to try to help a pigeon that is this sick and damaged and thank goodness you have that kind of courage because it isn't easy.
Posted 27th July 2007, 10:36 AM
the first thing i thought when i caught him, was euthanasia, and i hate euthanasia. only when it's really needed i dont hate it.
well, so i was gonna call the animal "rescue" league, because we all know what they do for rescue, they rescue them from life. at least i have that though, a place as a last resort if things are not working out. i used to give all my animals/birds to them, and not one did they save, so thats when i found Pigeon Talk!
so, his beak is in poor shape, bits are falling off, and the valley in the pic, about where the cere would be, is actually deeper than the pic shows. it's really bad, stinky, and his eyes are starting to pus up too. i feel horrible for his guy.
Posted 27th July 2007, 10:37 AM
Hi Moxie,

Unfortunately the "canker" inside the beak could also be pox. If it is canker then the nodule should reduce very quickly, it usually clears up within 10 days.

If you have spartrix you should use that as well as the Flagyl. The case is serious enough to justify the "double whammy" and it is a giood medicine for reducing the size of the nodule and opening up a way for food and medication very quickly.

As Maggie says you have a lot of courage, fighting both these diseases is an emotionally gruelling experience.

Cynthia
Posted 27th July 2007, 11:13 AM
can pox look like canker, as in white/yellowish cheesy stuff?
yes, every time i look at him, it kinda makes me sick to my stomach for the poor guy.
Posted 27th July 2007, 12:49 PM
Hi moxie,

If you can get some Colloidal Silver in the little finger tip plunger 'Spray' Bottle ( most Health Food Stores) , it can be a good one for topical situaitons like this...slightly dilute Hydrogen Peroxide also can be very good, can dry things out which are 'wet' with infection as those Ceres are...

Too, having some actual 'Antibiotic Eye Ointment' on hand is good, in case you start seeing an Eye which is getting infected.

Phil
Las Vegas
Posted 27th July 2007, 01:29 PM
In the mouth it like canker but flatter and smoother.

Cynthia
Posted 27th July 2007, 08:58 PM
Pox lesions don't tend to get the cheesy build up...they seem to stay looking
like lesions, as Cynthia mentioned, flatter. Also, if you've had the bird on canker medication, it will not seem to help these lesions.

fp
Posted 27th July 2007, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyro51 View Post
In the mouth it like canker but flatter and smoother.

Cynthia
Are you talking specifically about "wet pox" or is there a presentation of "dry pox" that occurs inside the mouth?

Pidgey
Posted 27th July 2007, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgey View Post
Are you talking specifically about "wet pox" or is there a presentation of "dry pox" that occurs inside the mouth?

Pidgey
Wet pox, dry or cutaneous occurs in dry/external sites yet is in the skin.

fp
Posted 27th July 2007, 10:32 PM
It does look to me that this poor pigeon has both pox and canker. If you will recall the Egyptian Goose I posted about with both wet and dry pox, I think you will see some similar things with this pigeon. We were pretty much able to eradicate the external/dry pox in the Egyptian but could never get on top of the internal/wet pox. I truly hope for a better outcome for this pigeon. The Egyptian was eventually euthanized after several months of intensive care.

Terry

Posted 27th July 2007, 10:54 PM
Red face

So sorry to hear of your ordeal. Don't give up, I know just how you feel. Each time I handeled my canker/pox baby to feed or medicate it I worried about hurting it, just be as gentle as you can be. My baby lost it's entire lower beak, I don't kow if you remember that are not. She's doing very well now. I don't know about losing the upper beak and still having the lower beak, but you'll just have to wait and see where this goes. I'm sending encouragment and prayers your way. If you need to talk I'm here. Marie
Posted 27th July 2007, 10:57 PM
It does look like a combination of canker and pox, and both of them and the different kinds of pox can and do occur together. The wet pox is hard to deal with as it can enter the bloodstream and take up residency in the organs. High protein and hand feeding are important to keep up the reserves.

There was that case a while back that Jules came here with and she posted on an herbal approach to treat her pox birds with, she had two pretty severe cases on her hands. Again, I know folks would pass the hat if you needed some of those things Moxie that Jules posted about but didn't have the money to get them with. They won't cure, but may provide comfort.

fp

Tags
avian medicine, colloidal silver, digestive system, fishing line, hydrogen peroxide, pigeon mix, pigeon seed, pigeon seed mix, respiratory infection, safflower seeds, seed mix, sunflower seeds, upper beak

You may also search for:

People searched for this, also searched for these:

Permectrin 10% pigeons