Basic first aid question - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 12th May 2019, 11:39 AM

Basic first aid question

Hi all,

A third injured baby joined my clan today. I currently have:

Victoria - a stray cat I thought was pregnant but isn't, and we'll de-sex her this week.

And pigeons:

Gael - survived a seagull attack with an awful injury to his crop, but blind in one eye so can't be released. I am in the final stages of sending him to a home.

Ruth - survived a dog attack but lost her tail fresh out of the nest. Also had canker. We go for a vet check tomorrow but I expect she will be fine and I'll release her once her tail grows back fully (it's on its way and she flies very well without it).

Sabrina - found today. She's a baby in my regular flock and I suspect is the baby of one of my favourite birds, Sera. I haven't seen Sera in weeks and suspect she's died (I'm so sad about it). Sabrina seems to have been hit by a car and has a bad leg bleed. Nothing seems broken, so I think it will be a question of whether she survives the shock/blood loss/any resulting infection. She was remarkably lively when I found her and seems full of spirit, which is always a great sign.

I have a question which won't help me this time, but for next time. I will also ask my sister who is a vet and has birds herself. Sabrina's blood had largely clotted when I found her so the source of the bleeding wasn't clear. I cleaned it with warm water and then with antiseptic I had left over from the last pigeon injury. I cut away some small leg feathering to see it and so that the feathers weren't caught in the blood. It re-opened the wound (unsurprisingly) and I was able to see the source of the bleeding, clean it with antiseptic as best I could, and put a gauze bandage over it. Luckily I already have a vet appointment tomorrow for Ruth, so I will take Sabrina with us.

Did I do the right thing in re-opening the blood clot to get antiseptic into the wound? I assume the vet would have to do this anyway. But of course it hurt her (I'd given her some pain relief a couple of hours earlier). Or do you think it would have been better to leave the blood clot and feathers in place until we got to the vet?

Cross fingers for this wee one, please. She's very spirited, but has lost a lot of blood and must be in pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 13th May 2019, 09:55 AM
You should call the vet and let them know you are bringing another patient, the next person after you will have to wait for the doctor longer,and put everybody behind.
Posted 13th May 2019, 10:00 AM
Yes, I know. I did.

She's got a bad infection in her leg. She's got a cast on it and antibiotics. She's doing well so far. Hopefully she is OK.

Posted 13th May 2019, 06:43 PM
I would have cleaned it with saline and looked for the source of the bleeding. If not too deep a wound would have covered with an antibiotic cream.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 14th May 2019, 10:11 AM
Thanks Jay3
Posted 8th June 2019, 04:26 AM
Update on the residents:

Sabrina survived the blood loss and the bad infection and got her cast off this week. Her leg is healing very well! I'm so pleased.

Victoria (the cat) was pregnant after all which they found when they did her sterilisation surgery. She was also a new mother, which I discovered after trapping a 7 week old kitten and it became immediately obvious that he was hers when I reunited them. I'd previously checked (as had the vet) and she wasn't lactating, so the kittens were weaned but still very young. I've released Victoria after keeping her with her baby a couple more weeks and sterilising/vaxxing her etc, and I have wee Rafael with me. I will find him a good home. He's an absolute sweetheart of a kitten.

Gael arrived in Madrid from Barcelona yesterday to live permanently in a sanctuary. I will be able to follow her all her life.

Ruth, I released on Monday in a big green space near my house, after she re-grew her tail. It's been a very good week for my pigeons 🙂
Posted 8th June 2019, 09:39 AM
Glad to hear the great news! Thank you for helping them.