Birds dying - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 7th August 2019, 09:42 PM

Birds dying

I have had 3 birds die in the last 10 days for no apparent reason. It has been extremely hot here recently but they have 2 water sources. They do not fly free. The 1 I found tonight was in good shape. He is bonded to a female and they just laid eggs. When I went out this afternoon he was sitting on the side of the bath. I didn't think anything was wrong. I went out tonight to check on a baby and found him dead. Will his mate be able to care for both babies by herself when they hatch?

I have a 4 in 1 medication from Global pigeon supplies. Will I harm healthy birds if I put it in the water for a few days?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 8th August 2019, 10:45 AM
Moderator may want to combine his threads on the same subject.
Posted 8th August 2019, 08:02 PM
We put a small air conditioner in the shed with our pigeons to keep them at 86 or lower. We also give them water to bathe in. At the pound I notice they put frozen blocks in with their rabbits. I wonder if this would help cool your birds.

Posted 10th August 2019, 09:01 AM
After talking with a knowledgable person I out the coop on a 4 in 1 on Thursday. Lost 1 more bird that afternoon. Yesterday I tore the coop apart and changed the pine chips I use on the floor. Cleaned and sanitized surfaces. All the birds looked healthy and came doe to me to be hand fed. This morning I think I have a sick bird. He came to me yesterday but did not eat from my hand. He's been a little angry with me. I put him in a timeout cage gor about a week for fighting and he hasn't for given me. When I caught him (yes a boy) he felt thinner and a bunch of feathers came off in my hand. I'm thinking about tube feeding him as supportive care. I have kaytee baby bird food. Should I mix it with the medicated water? I currently gave him isolated from the rest of the coop. I do not have the funds for a necropsy. I have lost 3 birds so far
Posted 11th August 2019, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoppock View Post
After talking with a knowledgable person I out the coop on a 4 in 1 on Thursday. Lost 1 more bird that afternoon. Yesterday I tore the coop apart and changed the pine chips I use on the floor. Cleaned and sanitized surfaces. All the birds looked healthy and came doe to me to be hand fed. This morning I think I have a sick bird. He came to me yesterday but did not eat from my hand. He's been a little angry with me. I put him in a timeout cage gor about a week for fighting and he hasn't for given me. When I caught him (yes a boy) he felt thinner and a bunch of feathers came off in my hand. I'm thinking about tube feeding him as supportive care. I have kaytee baby bird food. Should I mix it with the medicated water? I currently gave him isolated from the rest of the coop. I do not have the funds for a necropsy. I have lost 3 birds so far
Who ever told you to use 4in 1 is not knowledgeable.

That med does not have enough in it to cure any one disease, plus the pigeons do not get correct dosage. Plus you do not even know what they have. These treatments tend to cause resistant strains.

1. use a vet to find out what the disease is.

2. treat each pigeon for that disease per instructions , individually.

Repeat Loft cleaning treatment if necessary after medicine prescribed. Use Clean quality feed and fresh water daily. No breeding or flying or stress of any kind. Until your birds are healthy.

Last edited by Ladygrey; 11th August 2019 at 07:58 AM..
Posted 17th August 2019, 07:19 PM
Yes, Ladygrey is right. You must clean out and sanitize your water and feed pans or whatever you use, no ground feeding. And make sure the birds are not in direct sunlight. Some early am sunshine is ok, but not for the rest of the day. ( I assume they have exposure to some kind of natural sunshine for a short period and adequate airflow ) Even check to make sure you don't have any wet areas or areas that are not drying out in your loft as those can grow all kinds of nasty things. And of coarse, not other birds with the pigeons like chickens or etc. I live in Northern California close enough to Sacramento, so I know what hot is.