Broken leg healing time (Sabrina) - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 9th June 2019, 10:54 AM

Broken leg healing time (Sabrina)

Hi all,

I have a baby with me, Sabrina, who was hit by a car on May 12. She had a break in one leg (with an infection) and has been on several medications, all of which are now completed. She got her cast off on June 4. The vet was very pleased with how the break has healed and Sabrina is bearing weight on both legs and sitting, which she couldn't do with the cast on. The break was low in the leg (near the foot) and the vet said one leg will be shorter than the other, so she's likely to have a limp.

I will call this week to see what the vet says, but how long would you wait until releasing her? I am assuming that I should give her at least 2-3 weeks after the cast is off. She is a young bird and had been out on her own I think for at least 2-3 weeks when she turned up with her injuries. I know that some people don't release babies because they don't have good survival chances and I'm not interested in that debate. Only what people's experience has been with broken legs.

Before releasing her, I will take her out in a harness and leash for her to have a fly and to better judge her walking and interactions with other birds. Thank you for sharing any of your experiences!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 9th June 2019, 11:28 AM
I would give her a couple of weeks to make sure she is good to go and flying well, eating well, drinking.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 14th June 2019, 11:50 AM
Thank you, jay3. I was going to try and take her out in the harness today for the first time and see how she handles her leg and flying, but the wind has been ridiculous! I will try over the weekend. She has lost some tail feathers while with me either because of being unwell or the stress of living with me, so I'll be sure that's grown back properly too before releasing her.