Building sick bay ideas - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 27th November 2016, 04:33 PM

Building sick bay ideas

I am in the design phase of building a cage to house sick birds or new arrivals one of my homers has been lagging out of the training box and was late once.
I don't like to flock treat birds but had to once cause I didn't isolate quick enough. Wanted input in design, I plan on a box with a perch, will add a heat system on a thermostat to keep box warm. My dilemma is venting, my thought was. To heat from bottom and have a few small holes in bottom and and a few in top, while my coop is well ventilated my thoughts are the sick bay is short term and keeping warm temp woukd be more important than ventilation. Also the bird will not be getting sun light, can I use a full spectrum light bulb to help in this department? or some other type of bulb? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 27th November 2016, 07:20 PM
I think it's just easier to bring a sick bird in the house in a cage, as it is warm they're and lots easier to monitor. Can give him a lot more attention than if I had to go outside to take care of him. Supplemental feeding is easier as well. If it's a new bird, I can watch him closer than if he was outside. I use a heating pad under the cage bottom, or in the cage to keep them warm, and can use a bird light if it will be inside for a while. If it's hot outside, this works well too, as you can control the temp inside better.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 27th November 2016, 08:51 PM
Jay3 has given many good reason to bring them inside, and I agree. I bring any sick or new birds in my heated garage which is attached to our home and where I spend a lot of time myself. And I use a heat lamp under the droppings tray of a metal wire rabbit hutch. You also have the benefit of keeping new or sick birds far away from the healthy birds. I always feed and care for the flock first and then care for any birds in sick bay. And wash often.

Last edited by Jr Brown; 28th November 2016 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: typos

Posted 28th November 2016, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Brown View Post
Jay3 had made many given many good reason to bring them inside, and I agree. I bring any sick or new birds in my heated garage which is attached to our home and where I spend a lot of time myself. And I use a heat lamp under the droppings tray of a metal wire rabbit hutch. You also have the benefit of keeping new or sick birds far away from the healthy birds. I always feed and care for the flock first and then care for any birds in sick bay. And wash often.

Good point here. Less chance of infecting the other birds. And being somewhere you spend time, you are much more likely to pick up on any illness or other problems then a bird left outside in a separate enclosure.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Last edited by Jay3; 28th November 2016 at 08:06 AM..
Posted 28th November 2016, 10:09 AM
Jr Brown and Jay3 have made good points. We always quarantine and treat any sick or new bird in a bedroom where we can raise the temperature and monitor the bird closely.
Posted 28th November 2016, 06:15 PM
Thank you all for the wonderful advice, my spousal equvilant woukd toss me out if I brought one into the house, but had no idea bird bulbs existed. Have a partial basement that the furnace is in can keep it away from furnace and still be in 70 degree area. I'll put light on a timer and will set it up also with heating pad if any occupants need the extra heat.
Posted 28th November 2016, 06:21 PM
Sounds like a plan. Always use heating pads on LOW with a layer of towel between it and the pigeon. That or if it does go under the cage, then feel to see that the warmth comes through. All depends on the cage. Also, if you want to keep a bird on the heating pad, you need to remove perches, or they will always be on the perch, and not receive warmth from the heating pad. Creatures of habit that they are.

Tags
isolation box