Can anyone help me? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 19th September 2007, 03:12 PM

Can anyone help me?

Hi everyone!

One week ago now I found a young pigeon that couldn't fly or even walk. She was in a busy train station, so I knew immediately I should help her. I put her into a box and took her with me.

She is still a baby, but has "grown up looking" gray feathers, with some yellowish baby feathers sticking out from her neck. Someone experienced with pigeons told me she should be old enough to eat by herself.

She has progressed everyday;

She eats oatmeal mix from a pipette a few times a day with good appetite. She has also started to eat seeds all by herself. She is not afraid of me anymore, and she seems very awake and curious; she's a very alert little thing!

When she is held up high, she starts to flap her wings, and today she flew slightly higher for a little moment~ so she is progressing and her wings seem very strong and healthy.

So what's the problem then?

The first moment I saw her I thought something might be wrong with her, because she couldn't fly or walk, or even stand on her own feet. But then, as I'm not experienced with pigeons, I thought it might just be normal baby behavior.

It's just very weird that she doesn't use her legs at all; even when she is on the floor or in her box she always tries to "walk" by moving her wings, instead of her legs~ which makes it extremely difficult for her!

She can somehow move her feet though, so they're not completely "paralyzed".

As I read this forum I came across with "Paramyxovirus infection", in which a pigeon's legs can paralyze among other symptoms.

Do you think this is the case?

My pigeon also has some trouble eating her seeds, as she usually doesn't get to eat even the every second one, and so drops them easily from her beak. (I thought this could perhaps be typical for baby pigeons? As she only started eating seeds by herself a few days ago)

Also, sometimes when she makes a poop, it is normal looking but has some water (?) around it.

Otherwise this pigeon seems very awake and extremely curious about her environment! She doesn't seem sick at all. So could there be any other explanation for her not walking by herself?

Right now it's a problem, because she can't even walk to her food and water bowls in her box, so I always end up moving her to where she needs to go.

What to do with a pigeon like this? Is there anything that could save her legs still? Or can they heal by themselves? If they were broken, would it be obvious?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 19th September 2007, 03:33 PM
Hi there and a big welcome to you!!!!

Your piggie sounds like it is still a very young squab. Can you post a picture to give us all a better idea of how old it might be.

I suspect your piggie is dropping seed because it is still learning how to feed itself.

Im not sure about the piggies legs. When they are very small squabs they sort of use their wings to stay upright.
I dont have enough experience tomake a judgement but I really dont think your piggie has PMV.

Where are you based? We could find a Wildlife rescue centre for you.They could advise. Also hopefully someone else here could advise further.

Hope your little one will be okay.

Jayne
Posted 19th September 2007, 03:49 PM
Welcome! Sounds like you have a pretty young pigeon, and thanks for picking her up as she probably wouldn't have done so well in a busy train station. It is typical of her to drop seeds as she's learning to eat. It is not typical to walk on wings and not use her legs. The good news is that the legs aren't paralyzed. Can you notice if they are "splayed", such as when she tries to stand (if she does), or when she wing-walks, does each leg go out to either side? She may have "splay leg", which is correctable in young birds. It may be something else, and others will be along shortly to discuss medical causes. Make sure to provide her with a towel in her box, so she can get traction when trying to stand. Splay leg is often caused by being raised on a slippery surface with little or no traction, and many feral pigeons do indeed have nests like that since they are often the only nests available to them. Sounds like you're doing a great job with her and probably have made a friend for life. Please feel free to ask any questions or share any thoughts you might have.

Talk to me,
Coo to me,
Bow to me,
Listen to me.
And I'll teach you
To fly with me
And I will love you
Like no other....

http://picasaweb.google.com/awrats3333

21 Amazing Facts You Might Not Know About Pigeons!

Posted 19th September 2007, 03:58 PM
Hello and Welcome to Pigeon Talk,

Thank you for helping this youngster.

Can you tell us from these different age baby pics approx. how old the baby is:

http://www.speedpigeon.com/baby_racing_pigeon.htm

Does the youngster have any odd looking lesions inside the beak, or is it nice and pink?

Are there any noticeable difference in the one leg versus the other, you can compare by running your fingers gently around the legs, and do the same with the wings. Any swelling anywhere?

You might also try to give the youngster some added probiotics for healthy gut bacteria, which can crowd out any bad bacteria. A lack of calcium in the iet can also cause them to have weak legs, you can add crushed oyster or liquid calcium to the diet.

Posted 19th September 2007, 05:21 PM

Hi again!

Thank You to you all for your quick responses!

I'm very happy to be here at Pigeon Talk!

I feel slightly relieved that none of you so far think the little pigeon has PMV. I just got very nervous when I heard about the "paralyzed legs" being related to this virus.

I would say the pigeon is about 22 days old? I'll try to attach a picture for you to see!

I have checked her legs; they both look the same and are not swollen. The legs also don't really go on each side when she is trying to stand. When she is trying to stand, she's just doing it with her body and wings, and her feet are just somewhere under her tight together~ I'll try to send a picture of her feet as well!

She has a towel in her box made into a shape of a nest, which she really loves! It makes it so much easier for her to even stay in one place. (I also feed her while she is sitting in it)

Maybe the splay leg is the cause of her not-walking... I hope so, as then she would most likely be fine.

Her beak is also nice and pink inside~ no odd looking lesions.

Where can I buy some probiotics for her? And liquid calcium? How much to give her? I'd like to try that.

I'm located in Europe (Denmark) right now.

She is such a charming little creature, that I can see already now I've made a new friend for life!

Thank you for your help~ I'll keep you up-to-date with what happens with her! Each day has brought something new in her, so we'll hope for the best she'll start to stand and walk soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (29.1 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (18.4 KB, 252 views)
Posted 19th September 2007, 05:29 PM
I'm concerned that the nutritional needs of your Little pigeon aren't being met and that perhaps the little one isn't getting enough to eat.
I don't know what you have available to you in Denmark but perhaps you could find a pet shop that sells a hand feeding formula for baby birds. Also, how much are you feeding each time and how often?
I sure don't doubt your love and concern for your new ward and I understand how absolutely endearing they are.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 19th September 2007, 06:07 PM

Feeding

Hi Charis,

She eats an oatmeal mixture, which also includes some powdered wheat spores and bran. I have also added some finely crushed linseeds into the mix. It's all 100% raw.

I give this mixture to her at least three times a day, and each time she eats more than enough. I feed her with a pipette, and I do it by opening her beak (except today as she actually ate straight from the pipette herself).

On top of that she gets seeds (pigeon seed mix) many times a day.

I can sometimes also see from her if she gets hungry, which after I always feed her.

I've only had her for 6 days, so I haven't got any special vitamins for her~ I've done a lot of internet search though, so I'm aware she needs some added vitamins like calcium soon.

When I first found the pigeon I went to the pet shop to buy some baby parrot formula for the feeding, but they didn't have any! I live in a quite small town right now, which is probably the reason the shops don't carry any baby formula for birds...

I've had many animals and I've also worked in a pet shop with parrots and other birds, so I'm rather confident she gets enough food and often enough. I will of course still keep looking for the formula, as I'm sure that would be the best option! (the oatmeal mix is only a temporary solution)

Thank you for your concern! And of course I welcome all possible ideas and recommendations when it comes to the feeding! (I'm very new with pigeons so any possible info is very appreciated)
Posted 19th September 2007, 06:16 PM
I would remove the bran from the mix. It could be too much for her system.
How much food do you think the pipette holds?
At the top of this page, this is a search tab that you will find quite helpful and you also might want to explore," I've found a Pigeon, now what" category.
This bird is really lucky that you have experience with birds. Pigeons are a bit different from other birds but I can tell you will pick that up really quickly.
It is a very cute baby, by the way.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 19th September 2007, 06:29 PM

The bran

Oh, I will remove it from the mix! Luckily I've only added it twice and each time very little. Thanks for the advice!

In fact, I came to this forum the same night I found her! It was a great help and support! (still is)

Thank you, I think she is very cute as well. And she has such a great personality! She is so curious and awake! I also let her be in her "nest" on my lap or stomach, which she loves and I hope it'll make her feel even more comfortable (she also loves to observe the surrounding a lot).

I've always loved pigeons on the streets, but now as I've actually got to know one I'm even more impressed! They're such fascinating little creatures!
Posted 19th September 2007, 06:41 PM
Hopefully, ippychick, other members will be along to give advice about possible massages, phyical therapy techniques and possible creams to use on those feet.

--Do her toes seem to have any strength at all?
--Do the toes curl under or stay straight?
--Feet warm to the touch?
--Has she/he gained weight? Do you have a scale to weigh?
--Poops OK?

Your little one is such a cutie! Wishing you both all the best!

Sending Hugs and Scritches

Shi & Squeaks

Posted 19th September 2007, 07:15 PM
Hi ippychick,

I am not aware of any association per-se, between PMV and paralized or limp Legs.

However, Legs can become too weak to use from inflammations of the Kidneys, effecting their Sciatic Nerves, so, anything effecting an inflammation of the Kidneys, in theory, can occasion their Legs becomine useless for the time being.

This can be occasioned from some Bacterial or Protozoal infections, or other illnesses to which the Kidneys may be sensitive...

Falling and injuring their lower Back, can do so also.

If your youngster is making 30 to 45, nice 'Raisen' Size poops every 24 hours, then they are eating enough or being fed enough.

You may encourage her to peck, by pecking with her, useing your crook'd index finger...even having the back of your hand next to or against her Wing as you do so. Small size whole Seeds, such as Finch Seed or Canary Seed are very good for them to learn to peck with, and also White Safflower, though larger, they seem to manage well with as novices.

For them, at this age especially, eating is also a social or familial thing, connected to emotion and safety-comfort...

Possibly she injured her Back in a fall, and whether her Leg issue is from that, or, some Virus or other illness, it may take some weeks or even months to resolve.

If the poops continue to be other then well defined and merely moist, let us know, since she may have an illness for which some medical regimen would be best. Poops should be brown-green with white urates, formed more or less to be the size of a Raisen, and not having any liquid to them.

If you see any 'yellowish' urates, let us know...

Meanhile, if she gets soiled from poops, since she can not stand or walk to poop away from where she lays, you can just allow her a simple Bath in the sink now and then, in shallow cool Water, useing the fingers of your free hand to gently wash and massags off any soiling of her underside, with you supporting her securely in your other hand so she does not worry...and get her nice and clean again every now and then.

She is a very pretty youngster..!

I am very glad you found her and are caring for her.

Best wishes!

Phil
Las Vegas
Posted 25th September 2007, 02:57 PM

Back in the forum!

Sorry for my disappearance, but I've had a little cold~ and as you can imagine, to be sick AND take care of a little pigeon can be a lot to handle! (just need to remember to feed myself, too)

Thanks for the messages Shi & Squeaks AND Phil!

The little pigeon has progressed day by day! She's still not perfect with her feet, but it seems as she's somewhat improved~ right now it looks as the other foot was a little better than the other. And when she 'stands', she stands on the whole part under her 'knees'.

Let me answer Shi's questions to start with;

1. I think she does have some strength in her toes, and I have seen her move them a little as well. In the beginning both of the feet seemed very limp, but now the left one seems much better~ the right one though, looks very limp still...

2. The toes curl under in the other foot now, and in the other they stay much more straight.

3. Both of the feet are warm.

4. Scale is a great idea! I'll start weighing her, but I can already see she has grown since I found her.

5. Poops seem fine, no more liquid around them like in the beginning.

Then to Phil's questions and comments...

1. Yeah, the youngster poops a lot! I haven't counted them though, but I'm sure it's around the numbers you mentioned. Sometimes they are about a size of a raisin, and sometimes much more.

2. She has really improved with pecking! It's still a big mess when she does it; seeds fly all over the place when she is pecking, but I can see she is getting them into her mouth much better now! She also prefers to eat her oatmeal mix from the pipette by pecking, so that's cool as well...

3. You said eating for them in this age is also a social or familial thing~ I've noticed that! She gets so excited when it's feeding time! I also take her on my lap afterwards and just stroke her head and wings, which she really enjoys and makes her fall asleep...

4. The poops look normal right now, but I'm gonna keep an eye on them! I haven't seen that liquid around them for a while now.

5. It's good you mentioned the bath, because I've been wanting to do it! When I first found her, she had a lot of poop gathered under her~ it was really a lot, so I did clean it as much as possible then, and now it's been so much cleaner. But I'm glad to hear she's old enough to get a bath now! // Should I just dry her with a towel afterwards, or gently with a hairdryer, etc? (I saw on TV the other day someone drying their pigeon with a hairdryer after a bath!)

6. If her feet/back are injured because of a fall, etc, is there a chance for a full recovery then? Even if it took a lot of time? At least she's improved a little bit by now, which is already a great sign.

The little pigeon is really social, and I've noticed she has tried to follow me a few times! Even yesterday she flew on my lap to be fed, which was really funny... Now the thing to focus on are the feet, as even her flying has improved day by day! Yesterday I took her out for the first time; she was just sitting on the grass and looking around~ it must've been her first time to see grass as she is from a big train station...

Thanks for all of your help and support so far! I'll keep you up-to-date about what's going on!

Jo
Posted 25th September 2007, 08:55 PM
Hi ippychick,

Below are a couple of links explaing how to dose w/Baytril and where to
purchase it. Please get some Baytril and start dosing your bird. I can't
tell you how many birds I've had in this year in this kind of condition or
worse from Paratyphoid. This is what I would do if this baby came into
my care and showed no signs of injury. The ones I have treated in this
way fully regained use of their feet and legs.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=9455

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=16368

Good luck to you and your bird.

fp
I have been feeding pigeons, thousands of them for years. But there was one, a beautiful bird, pure white with light grey tips on its wings; that one was different. It was a female. I had only to wish and call her and she would come flying to me.
I loved that pigeon as a man loves a women, and she loved me. As long as I had her, there was a purpose to my life. Nikola Tesla
Posted 25th September 2007, 10:00 PM
Hi Ippychick!

I hope when you take her outside that she is protected from predators, unless that isn't a problem in your area. It's amazing how fast a predator (e.g. a hawk) can snatch them from right under your nose!

I'm glad to hear he/she is doing better and hope all goes well for her legs and feet.

Have you thought of a name?

Hugs and Scritches

Shi & Squeaks

Posted 26th September 2007, 09:12 AM
Hi Jo is there anyway of getting an x-ray of her legs or feet? Maybe she has a hairline break and that could hurt so she isn't putting any weight down on it. Very happy to hear she is pecking at foods. Pigeons are very intelligent birds and can steal your heart in seconds. Good luck with your new friend and pet her for me

Cindy

They are not rats with wings and they feel pain like you and me. Save our beloved Pigeons without people like us their numbers would be less. God Bless to Pigeon Lovers

Tags
baby bird, baby pigeon, broken wing, eating seeds, feeding formula, feral pigeon, flight suit, gut bacteria, male pigeon, nesting material, pet shop, pigeon rescue, pigeon seed, pigeon seed mix, seed mix, wild pigeon, wild pigeons, wildlife rescue, wood pigeon, young bird, young pigeon