Canker - big, hard crop - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 16th August 2019, 07:25 AM
Update: Pigeon with dried liquid on its eye passed away. Pigeon with hard crop is in near death state.
Update 2: Pigeon with big crop passed away.
Hello, this is my first post. I'm located in Poland, Kraków.

I found 5 sick birds on Wednesday. The city's authorities refused to take care of the birds. Today I tried calling my avian veterinarian but with no success (yesterday it was a national holiday and I think they're on vacation). One pigeon unfortunately died yesterday.

There are four of them left: fledgling (seems to feel the best), pigeon with an eye tumor, pigeon with one eye completely covered by dried eye liquid (I think from canker) and the last one with heavy canker (it has yellow sores all over the throat, it's hard to put a syringe in his crop).

On Wednesday (the day we found them) they were given and still are getting:
- Metronidazol 50 mg (once a day)
- Enrofloxacin 2 insulin syringe lines (once a day)
- NutriBird A21 food for feeding babies 10-15 ml (three times a day; today they also got peas)

1) My biggest concern is the bird with heavy canker. It has a big and heavy crop which I think got harder in touch today. Sometimes breather through mouth. It is canker's fault, right? What else can we do for it? Should we feed it normally or it will cause extra inflammation? Palomacy recommended me to open its mouth and rub its yellow sources with mixture of water and Metronidazol, is it a good option? Any other meds needed?
2) What's this eye tumor?
3) How do I remove this dried liquid? I've been rubbing it for the third day with warm, boiled water and it won't go.

1) (pigeon with big crop)
(latest poop of the pigeon with big crop)
2) (other pigeon with eye tumor)
3) (pigeon with dried liquid)

Last edited by blackrose888; 16th August 2019 at 01:09 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 16th August 2019, 11:34 PM
Can you get hold of human baby applesauce? Make it lukewarm and feed this to him. Try to massage the crop after feeding. Otherwise, add some apple cider vinegar to his drinking water (5 ml to 1 l water), this will also help with digestion. Keep him warm on a hotwaterbottle. When the crop goes down, continue feeding him with defrosted green peas. They are easy to digest and will be a better option than seeds for now.
Posted 17th August 2019, 07:30 AM
These birds could of been poisend. From the sound of it.

For all to be sick at the same time is unusual.

Posted 17th August 2019, 07:33 AM
Two survived and they re in a good condition. Little number of coccidiosis was found in them. I really dont think they were poisoned. There are thousand of pigeons in Krakow s main square.
Posted 17th August 2019, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrose888 View Post
Two survived and they re in a good condition. Little number of coccidiosis was found in them. I really dont think they were poisoned. There are thousand of pigeons in Krakow s main square.
Well, not everyone likes pigeons, and with thousands, someone could of given bad feed or tainted feed. Even sprayed them with something,

The hard crop could be a canker or something he swallowed and it is lodged in.. starving young can do that and swallow unknown things. I would have a vet look at it, it may need to be removed if it is not canker..

Tags
big crop, canker, hard crop