Dispensing metronodizole tablet (250mg) - amount for sick bird - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 8th February 2017, 11:38 AM

Pics of poo and Jo

Let me know what you see as she's only eating a little seed and green peas. Love to see her happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170208_101718.jpg (651.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170208_101517.jpg (904.0 KB, 25 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 8th February 2017, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pijinpower View Post
Poo this morning is attached. After eating nothing but peas and a green antibiotic the bird is more active, hit me with her wing and grunted a "leave me alone" which is improvement over yesterday. Still too listless but some progress and fight is good. I'm on my way for metronidazole and don't want to switch meds that are unnecessary when maybe the cephalixin ronidazole is working and hope for suggestion about it.
Here's a look at Jo, who I think is a woman.
Glad to hear your bird is better =).

Stick too cephalixin ronidazole. You don't need metro at the moment cause ronidazole works for canker too.

His poop doesn't look that great but in time it should become normal.

Your bird lovely =).

Give him yogurt everyday though. Antibiotics kill good bateria too so you need to have something for the good bacteria to flourish.

Also some baby apple sauce (unsweetned) it will help with crop ph.

For garlic capsules you give 2 garlic caps each week. One in each day.

Last edited by Dotty; 8th February 2017 at 12:29 PM..
Posted 8th February 2017, 12:48 PM
You are throwing too much at the poor thing. You shouldn't worm him unless it is worms that are suspected of being the problem. At least not when he is so thin and not well. He can be wormed later when he is doing a bit better.
Just to clear a few things up, canker should be treated for the 7 to 10 days. 4 days is not long enough. You said you had trouble seeing the throat, but you just open the beak like you do when you feed peas.
I would use the Metro as it works well. Cut the tablet in quarters, then shave maybe 1/3 off of each piece. That should give the right dose for him. How many peas are you feeding him. He should get about 50 twice a day, or 30 3 times a day for now at least. Use frozen peas which have been defrosted and warmed under warm water. Never use a microwave, as hot pockets will form inside the peas and can burn the crop. Here is how you would do it.

If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.

If you are going to add anything to the water, add a couple of drops of Apple cider vinegar. The applesauce is mixed with just a small bit of water when you are feeding with a syringe. Not in the drinking water. It is to help the crop work better if it is slow. If he is drinking water, then a couple of drops of the ACV works better in the water.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted 9th February 2017, 06:49 PM
Thanks. The bird is probably not sick with visible canker. Her throat is shiny pink. Her poo smells okay and her joints seem ok. The poo is green. She's not eating or drinking on her own. She's not in the mood to walk and stargazey, slightly completely unafraid of me. Id like to see her eat on her own. She'll have probiotic, tomorrow. Others suggest PMV. Hopefully she'll turn around.
I thought the ivermectin might help with worms. Emaciation, etc. She's on day three of the initial med. I have metro for later, if need be. A C V is a great idea.
Posted 9th February 2017, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Thanks. The bird is probably not sick with visible canker. Her throat is shiny pink. Her poo smells okay and her joints seem ok. The poo is green. She's not eating or drinking on her own. She's not in the mood to walk and stargazey, slightly completely unafraid of me. Id like to see her eat on her own. She'll have probiotic, tomorrow. Others suggest PMV. Hopefully she'll turn around.
I thought the ivermectin might help with worms. Emaciation, etc. She's on day three of the initial med. I have metro for later, if need be. A C V is a great idea.

Can you get a deep dish and feel it with seed ? She should start trying to eat it. It will take some practice though.

I would hand fed her too to make sure she is getting enough food.

She will start eating once she gets better. The nervous system damage heals slowly.

Last edited by Dotty; 9th February 2017 at 07:21 PM..
Posted 13th February 2017, 03:09 PM
This bird is being transported to Charis in Portland. She is still listless, unafraid of me. Poo is on the brown side but not formed well. I put her on baby bird formula. Had some yogurt discontinued meds. Charis will be able to help her survive. I didn't give the metro. I couldn't keep the pet pigeon though I'd love to.
R
Posted 13th February 2017, 03:27 PM
Quote:
This bird is being transported to Charis in Portland. She is still listless, unafraid of me. Poo is on the brown side but not formed well. I put her on baby bird formula. Had some yogurt discontinued meds. Charis will be able to help her survive. I didn't give the metro. I couldn't keep the pet pigeon though I'd love to.
R
Bless you for taking care of her.
Even if you couldn't keep her you still did a noble deed.

So happy to hear everything worked out.
Posted 13th February 2017, 07:22 PM
The bird is safe with Charis now. She's good at her work and has every ammentity. She was nice enough to bring me bird meds and a sandwich for the ride home. I almost lost my storage for this one where I was hiding the bird. I left my apartment threatened with eviction for the last sanctuary I'd I'd turned it into for my pals with wings. Good to know more bird people around WA with more space.
Thx for your support.
Posted 20th February 2017, 03:49 PM
Talking

This bird is recovering, miraculously! One day at at time. Since we last talked

"She" is a HE. The name Jo has changed to Pike.

Pike can eat on HIS own now. He's safe in a cage with a licensed rehabber. He's much heavier. Charis administered baytril and metro to the bird. He's been wormed now and is getting off of metacam. He can make it. I'm glad I handed him over to a rehabber who does good work.

Hopefully the bird will make a wonderful FOREVER pet as illnesses in adult birds this sick are hard to guess about and hard to see get worse out in the "real world".

Neither of us know for certain what ailed / ails the bird. Video of the bird is posted on Facebook / Pigeon Angels.

Tags
canker, head injury, worms