Dog bite - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 23rd March 2019, 11:30 AM
Aw, Geordi <3

Thanks for the good wishes. I didn't update yesterday but I spoke to the vet at 15:30 Friday and he again had good news. Gael is still doing well. The vet is really surprised. He is still at risk - infection is probably the biggest worry now - but for now he is still good. He also ate for the first time (liquid food).

David (vet) is very kind and he has taken Gael home with him this weekend to care from him. He will call if anything bad happens but otherwise I will speak with him on Monday for an update. I'm super, super happy. There is still a high risk but for now, he is doing well. If he recovers enough to eat on his own, then he will come home with me to continue his recovery.

Yes, we have the same problem here (and in New Zealand) with thread and hair and things getting caught in pigeons' feet. It's such a shame. I pick things up when I see them, too. Sera (the pigeon I couldn't catch) has adapted well. There are two others in the flock who have hair or thread around their feet but it's not causing any injury (yet). I will try and help them.

It wasn't a "bad" experience with Perséfone exactly. The other pigeons were not sociable with her like the ones in my neighbourhood (probably because of me, not her - the ones in my neighborhood recognise me and come close for food). And the park is really big but there aren't so many pigeons there as near my house. It just didn't feel quite right. However, now that I have seen these attacks from the gulls in my neighbourhood, I think I will probably choose to release other birds in the park in future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 24th March 2019, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the update.
Let us know something tomorrow! I'm feeling optimistic &#x1f60a;!
Posted 26th March 2019, 12:56 PM
Meet Gael &#x1f642; You can't see his scar or missing feathers properly in this photo - it's pretty impressive!

Unexpectedly, the vet told me that he could come home with me yesterday. He is not on solid food yet - I have to crush the food into a powder. And he is hungry but he can only have a little bit, three times a day. His crop is not working properly (yet) so he can't process food like normal. But he is very lively and fights me when I give him his medication. He was alone while I was at work today and he was just fine when I arrived home.

Right now, the biggest risk to his life is infection. I am changing the paper in his cage frequently, and putting antiseptic on his wound regularly. If he doesn't get an infection and gets better, the biggest barrier to release is his eye. It turns out that he doesn't have full sight in one eye right now because the seagull pecked him. I am giving him eye drops.

We go step-by-step, but I am thrilled that he has survived and is doing well so far. Thank you for your good wishes and support, and please keep thinking of him!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190326_191201_1553626240346.jpg (251.5 KB, 26 views)

Posted 26th March 2019, 04:29 PM
Thanks so much for the update and for the photo, Hekie. Gael is so lovely!

I'm really glad to know that he came home with you, it means that your vet is optimistic &#x1f60a;.

I understand, a blind eye could be a serious problem. In the bad case, could your vet help you to find a good home for him? I know you can't adopt him..

Anyway, keep us updated. We are still keeping our fingers crossed (even Geordi &#x1f609; ) .
Posted 26th March 2019, 06:08 PM
I hope you are hand feeding him. Not sure what that was in his dish?
Even if not safe near your house for releasing them, they do need to be released into a flock. They won't survive out there unless part of a flock. It isn't safe most places when you are a pigeon, unfortunately. Glad he is doing better. If the vet is concerned about infection, then he should have given you an oral antibiotic for him.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 26th March 2019, 07:06 PM
Glad to hear Gael is doing well!
Posted 27th March 2019, 01:37 AM
Thanks all.

Colombina, hopefully the vet can help with that, if it's needed. It will be tricky, but I have a smallish network of pigeon people here and there are some organisations which work with pigeons. Hopefully I can find him a home if he can't be freed.

Jay3, no need to worry. Aware of all that and have a good pigeon vet.

I'll keep you updated. He is a fiesty one!
Posted 27th March 2019, 08:23 AM
I'm glad to know that in the bad case you could help him to find a good home!

I had too to feed for a few days soft food to my dove (she was an adult and fortunately didn't have crop problems), I gave her small balls of baby birds formula and left her available some pieces of biscuit. When Gael will feel better you could try too to leave him available some small pieces of biscuit (something simple without chocolate, marmalade, etc), usually birds love it and it is a soft food.

When he will finish his antibiotic treatment, you could give him a complete vitamin supplement and probiotics, they would be helpful.

Your vet seems a great doctor and an excellent man!

Please keep us updated &#x1f60a;!

Ps: you can see in the photo the dove badly attacked by the seagull. Her wounds healed well. She is still traumatized but little by little she's making progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190327_152059_1553696501432.jpg (2.40 MB, 27 views)
Posted 3rd April 2019, 02:25 PM
All, I am so sorry for my delays in replying here. Work is killing me! And then with the addition of a pigeon into my daily routine, I am just very tired right now (though not as tired as when I had three wild kittens I caught, oh my god that was so exhausting).

Colombina, I just saw your photo and your dove is adorable! So, so sweet. Does she have a name? I have never found an injured dove in my neighbourhood and I've always been surprised about that. But there aren't as many doves as pigeons, so I guess it's not such a big surprise. It is one of the doves who first started recognising me and following me. They are lovely, but they can be so violent towards each other! Whenever I feed the flock, there is always an angry dove who chases another dove away from the food. The pigeons never do that.

Anyway, I have overall very good news Sweet Gael (who I suspect is in fact a fighty, fighty girl rather than a boy) is doing incredibly well. I have been changing the paper towels in his cage three times a day to rid it of poo/reduce the risk of infection, and cleaning his wound three times a day as well as giving the eye drops. He (she) is strong as a freaking ox. And has been since the moment I found him. I have had a few pigeons with me now, but never a fighter like this wee one. You'd never know about the injury; it's quite remarkable.

For now, he continues to get antibiotics via his water, and I am grinding up Harrisons finest bird food into nearly a powder and giving him a small-ish amount three times a day, to ensure that his crop doesn't get overworked and he can process the food. He eats fine on his own, and I cannot wait until the vet says that I can re-introduce regular seeds for him to eat. He's going to absolutely love it.

We went to the vet yesterday evening for his check-up and the vet couldn't believe how good the wound looks. We both thought he wouldn't survive and that there wasn't enough skin to cover the hole, but yep - there was! I have formed a lovely friendship with the vet, he is such a kind, caring man. I really love watching him care for the birds, it's quite beautiful.

The only bad news is that it does seem that Gael is blind in one eye, at least for now. It is terrible luck because he has survived such a bad injury and one peck in the eye is the bigger problem. However, we are going to wait and see, and hopefully the haemorrhage disperses with some time as it's still very early days. I really hope it does, and that he can return to the wild. At the moment, it is like two different birds - the calm one, when I approach on the side with his bad eye, and the FIGHTY one when he sees me coming with his good eye

Thankfully, the weather remains in a good enough state that he can spend the days I'm at work mostly out on the terrace in his cage, sunbathing but without getting overheated. I heard him make a couple of unusual sounds just before and got up to check on him in his cage, and he was dreaming, awwwww. we will return to the vet in two weeks for his next check-up.

Thank you all for your support with him. Let's hope that his eye heals with time.

Colombina, do you have a particular vitamin supplement and probiotics you would recommend to me, for pigeons?
Posted 5th April 2019, 04:43 PM
Don't worry for the late reply, Hekie, no need to apologize.

Thanks so much for the update, I'm really really happy to know that Gael is doing so well! What a wonderful news &#x1f600; ! He is so lucky he found you and your fantastic vet (lol I'm a little envious of your vet &#x1f605; ) . You are really doing a great job with him!

I really hope that the haemorrhage will disperse as time goes by...I know, a blind eye means a blind side...Anyway, let's see, we are all keeping our fingers crossed!

I think that Oropharma Versele Laga products are available there. If I'm right, you could look for Omni-vit (it's a complete vitamin supplement: vitamins, amino acids and trace elements) and for Probi-Zyme.

https://www.versele-laga.com/en/orop...harma-omni-vit

https://www.versele-laga.com/en/orop...rma-probi-zyme

Uhmm &#x1f60f; I haven't chosen a name yet for my dove: on one hand, she is a big fighter, a warrior because she survived to that terrible attack, on the other she is still recovering from her trauma and seems so helpless...not easy to find a name...Anyway, I love doves. Yes, they are lovely and sweet but, as you said, they can be so violent towards each other! From my balcony, in France, I even saw a dove drive away a crow! In the south of France there are many doves, the weather is always good so I'm not surprised about that. I'm really surprised to see so many here. I'm spending some time in my country home in Italy (we are, liiittle by liiittle, renovating it). Here the winters are really cold and foggy but I see (and hear) doves everywhere! In the pic you can see them visiting my garden (well, I should say wood/jungle instead of garden...).

Anyway, keep us updated!

Ps: how is Beth doing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190326_121313_1554503981980.jpg (2.10 MB, 19 views)
Posted 13th April 2019, 11:46 AM
Hi Colombina! I'm finally on holiday, woo-hoo. And I found a new bird yesterday which was perfect timing - I'll tell you about her in a moment.

First, Gael. He (I still think "she") is definitely blind in one eye. So I xant release him. I have started looking for a home for him today - I will need a lot of luck. For now, he has finished his medicine, and the neck wound has healed very, very well. He's already grown feathers over it. He is enjoying eating a normal seed mix again &#x1f642; I had a friend staying this week so he couldn't fly around, but now that I am on holiday I will make sure that he gets to stretch his wings.

Beth is feeling sick today (hairball - she will be OK soon) but she is otherwise very good. I can't wait to spend two weeks at home with her <3 Thank you for asking.

Now, for the new arrival. This is the first time I've had two birds together, and also my first dove. I saw her on the footpath yesterday when I was with Beth, and she didn't move and I could nearly catch her which didn't seem normal. She is very young (4 weeks old) and the first baby dove I've seen. But then she flew up in a tree and is thought she was fine. Then, Beth and is returned home 50 minutes later and she was back on the footpath. It was an area with a lot of people sitting in a café, and it seemed weird. I tied Beth up briefly and went to see if I could catch her. This time, I did. I checked her mouth and there was some liquid. So I took her home and then made an appointment with the vet for both Gael and her (I have named her Stefania). I honestly thought that she was probably fine and I was overreacting, and I had stolen a baby from her parents.

It turns out she's very sick, and the vet thought she would have died in a couple of hours. She has canker really badly. I am injecting her with medicine because it's so serious. She is lively, and I really hope she makes it. I'm mostly worried right now that she is not really eating and very small. Please send us good luck! She is the cutest thing ever; so, do adorable.

You're right about my vet, he is really fantastic. I'm very lucky.
Posted 13th April 2019, 11:47 AM
Thank you for the vitamin recommendation. I have some vitamins for Stefania so I am giving them to Gael as well. I will look for the one you recommended.

Let me know when you choose a name for your dove. What a darling.
Posted 13th April 2019, 07:08 PM
Hekie, if the new bird has canker, would isolate her from Gael.
Posted 14th April 2019, 08:39 AM
Have done, cwebster! I had them in (separate) carriers side by side in the taxi on the way to the vet because I was aware there could be something contagious with the little one, but they've been separated once it was clear she was sick. I think the bigger cross-contamination risk is in the poo as I change the paper in their cages, or wipe one of them down. I'm being careful.

Last edited by Hekie; 14th April 2019 at 01:22 PM..
Posted 14th April 2019, 05:21 PM
I'm adding a photo of Gael (his good eye side) and here is a video of Stefania, my cat Beth and Gael on the terrace this afternoon &#x1f642;

https://youtu.be/ZGWuXA_dAsg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190402_170221_1555284032706.jpg (1.10 MB, 12 views)