Dog bite - Page 4 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 24th April 2019, 11:01 AM
Is that a string around his neck?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 24th April 2019, 11:23 AM
Jay3, I say this as respectfully as possible, but I would appreciate that if you comment on my posts that you please don't start from the assumption that I have no idea what I am doing or am harming my pigeons. I have noticed it since I joined the site and I don't think you mean it badly (I can be blunt, myself) and I respect that you have a knowledge and probably a lot of frustrations from people who don't follow your good advice, but it is incredibly insulting. I do not owe you explanations about basic care issues. I hope this won't happen again but if it does, please know that I won't respond.

Of course it is not string around Gael's neck. The flight suit is a bit big so as per their instructions - and of no effect to him - you can put a bit of string or ribbon through the elastic arm/wing straps to bring them closer together and improve the fit. Both this and the Aviator harness I use with the pigeons are safe and comfortable for them, and I'm always with them when they're in use.
Posted 26th April 2019, 06:35 AM
Here you can find helpful informations about canker and others illnesses and injuries, baby pigeons, etc:

https://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/

Here is another useful link:

http://www.chevita.com/en/pigeons/symptoms/

So let us know what you will decide about Gael!

I hope that the blackbird will be fine soon (you are lucky, your neighbor seems a really good person).They are so nice, I saw a lot of them in the garden of my Italian country home (I'm back to France). Keep us updated!

Last edited by Colombina; 26th April 2019 at 06:42 AM..

Posted 27th April 2019, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the links, Colombina. I'll let you know about Gael!
Posted 28th April 2019, 03:09 AM
You're welcome 😊.
Posted 26th May 2019, 06:47 AM
Hi Hekie, I just want to tell you that I finally gave a name to my dove: Doris.

Hope you, Beth and all your "patients" are fine! Have a found a good home for Gael?
Posted 8th June 2019, 04:16 AM
Colombina, hi 🙂 That's a sweet name. I hope she's doing well.

I waited to reply to you because this week was a big one for all the animals. I have gone frome two pigeons to one. I released Ruth, and Gael arrived to HER new home (confirmed she is a girl). I only have Sabrina now - she got her cast off this week and her broken leg is healing very well! It's all good news for the pigeons.

The cats I am trapping have been more complicated. I started trapping street cats a few weeks ago - it's a colony where I have caught kittens before, and due to some changed circumstances in their environment, I've been trying to catch the pregnant girls and any kittens. It is going very well overall. At one point I had three cats and three pigeons! This week, I trapped a sick cat though, so it's difficult.

About Gael. On Thursday night she travelled to Madrid in a van (6.5 hour drive). I was very nervous. However, everything was perfect and she is now in the sanctuary where she will spend the rest of her life. She appears in the second half of this video, coming out of the blue cage with dog bones on it:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Bya0TR0...d=6jlo8v4hxu9j

As you can see, she immediately had the attention of one of the boy pigeons! I am filled with joy at this outcome. I think she will be so happy in their huge aviary (it is 40m2) with all her new friends. It is a wonderful outcome for this little baby. It is very weird seeing all the empty pigeom cages, but there will always be more.
Posted 8th June 2019, 11:49 AM
Glad to hear from you, Hekie 😊.

I'm so happy to hear these good news!
I saw the video: yes, surely Gael has an admirer! A nice guy lol! I'm sure she will have a happy life in her new home.

I'm also really glad to hear that Sabrina is doing very well!

Btw, you are doing a great job with pigeons and cats! They are lucky to have you, your dedication to animals is admirable!

I hope that the sick cat will feel better soon, keep me updated!
Posted 14th June 2019, 12:02 PM
<3 Colombina, thank you as always for your kindness and kind words.

The kitten, Rafael, is doing incredibly well. I am looking for a home for him now, and he is just a wonderful, well-rounded kitten. He is a joy to have at home. Perhaps less for Beth, who gets chased a lot.

Very amusingly, last night I caught Victoria the cat for a second time in my trap!!! Poor girl. I released her, of course. There are a lot of cats in the colony but she really likes the food!

I will take Sabrina out flying over the weekend to stretch her wings and see how she interacts with the other pigeons. Hopefully I can release her in the next two weeks.

I am on my terrace now with Rafael, Beth, Sabrina and a pigeon I call Violet who is eating the seeds I put out. It's a lovely Friday evening. I hope that yours is the same &#x1f642;
Posted 14th June 2019, 12:05 PM
About the sick cat, his sickness is permanent. After reading a lot about it and talking to some people, I released him in the colony last Saturday. Now that he is castrated, he is less likely to fight and spread the sickness. He escaped the small bedroom while he was here so there is a very small risk that he infected Beth or Rafael. But it is a very very small risk. I will test Beth in some months. For Rafael, they would do blood tests before they de-sex him. It was scary, but I don't think there is any big risk.

Last edited by Hekie; 14th June 2019 at 12:15 PM..
Posted 14th June 2019, 12:13 PM
These are some videos of Beth and Rafael &#x1f642;

https://youtu.be/BCqY6pgDIbM

https://youtu.be/XAJToNhvY-Y

https://youtu.be/fheMxN3Fx6A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190606_005426_1560536009628.jpg (1.45 MB, 17 views)
Posted 14th June 2019, 12:14 PM
And this is dear Sabrina <3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190613_091351-1_1560536057150.jpg (1.30 MB, 20 views)
Posted 15th June 2019, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the update and for the videos and photos, Hekie.

Rafael is soo sweet and beautiful! I'm really glad to know he is doing incredibly well!!
I'm sorry to hear about the small "accident" with the sick cat, let me know something when you will test Beth and Rafael, I'm sure they are both fine.

Do you think to release Sabrina in that park? Let us know if she will enjoy her walking over the weekend! Btw she is really cute, she has very smart and sweet eyes &#x1f60a;.
Posted 15th June 2019, 01:07 PM
I will let you know when I test them &#x1f642;

Thank you for the nice comments. Today I de-stringed my first pigeon! It is one I tried to catch before and both its feet were wrapped in red wool and twine. It was walking really badly. Today I caught it while I was walking with both cats! Rafael is not good with pigeons like Beth. He was pouncing at them haha. But he's not very good (yet). I managed to remove all of it, even the parts that were nearly bonded to the skin. Hopefully she gets back the use of both feet but at least one of them was perfect. I'm so happy. I walked home with both cats and also the pigeon in my backpack haha. I released her about half an hour later and she stayed and enjoyed some seeds so she wasn't too traumatised.

I took Sabrina out for the first time tonight and she doesn't even have a limp like the vet said she would! Her leg has healed so well, you wouldn't even know it was broken. However, her tail is in a terrible state. You've recommended me vitamins and things before, could you suggest something for this? The seed mix I feed is good but she's lost so many tail feathers since being with me. I wonder if she is really stressed - probably &#x1f61e;

I'm attaching a photo of her tail so you can see how bad it is. I don't know whether they can grow new feathers to replace the bad ones or you have to wait for them to fall out and re-grow. I may start a new thread for advice about this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190615_201412_1560625613355.jpg (1.19 MB, 12 views)
Posted 16th June 2019, 06:49 AM
The supplements specific for moulting period like Muta-Vit Oropharma are rich in amino acids so they could help in situations of feathers problems.

"Oropharma Muta-Vit is a special blend of vitamins, amino acids and trace elements, with high content of sulphurous amino acids and biotin. This dietary supplement promotes feather development and condition, strengthens the plumage, protects the liver and ensures an optimal metabolism. Muta-Vit helps to prevent fright moulting. During the moult, the bird is subject to stress. An optimal supplement to the feed is necessary then. The sulphurous amino acids in Muta-Vit are essential for the production of keratin, the building material for feathers and skin. Biotin ensures good quality keratin. This guarantees a fast and good moult.
Ideal for the moult: promotes plumage development and feather condition
Strengthens the plumage
Helps to prevent fright moulting"

https://www.versele-laga.com/en/orop...harma-muta-vit

You could also look for a product like the one in the pics (it's for plucking problems); when I rescued the two glued birds my vet gave me it to help their feathers to grow back.

I noticed that many feathers are broken (do you keep her in a cage/box? Maybe she broke them trying to escape from it), yes, you have to wait for them to fall out and regrow. Just the missing ones are going to immediately grow back.
Of course, you need to be sure that all her feathers are back and in good condition before releasing her.
Anyway, I'm really glad to hear that her leg healed in an excellent way! What a great news!

Over the years we de-stringed many and many pigeons... Here there are many pigeons missing toes, foot (even both of them...) or leg... It's really sad, here strings are a serious problem for birds...
You could give a look at this link, you could find helpful information:

http://nycprc.org/StringRemoval.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190616_144304_1560689008361.jpg (2.51 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190616_144246_1560689027200.jpg (2.44 MB, 10 views)