Dove hit by a car - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 8th July 2019, 06:03 PM

Dove hit by a car

On my way home from work on the fourth of July, the vehicle in front of me hit a mourning dove. I witnessed it trying to escape off the road so i did a u turn and went back to find it.

The wing was badly broken, multiple fractures and the bone was protruding from the wing in one spot. The veterinarians i called would not treat a wild bird, and the wildlife centers euthanise animals that cannot be rehabbed and released. He/she was active and alert and made it through the night so i decided to care for it and give it a chance to recover

I have been cleaning and disinfecting the wound with chlorhexidine and silver sulfadiazine cream. I could not see a way to get the bone back into the wing and i was concerned about infection...so i made the decision to clip the piece of bone that was protruding, so the wound can hopefully heal closed. I glued two feather shafts together in a way that should help hold the wound closed over the area. He will likely never fly again

After a couple of days of just water i gave him birdseed and hes been eating drinking and pooping and mainly seems concerned with escaping when the opportunity presents itself. So far he seems to be doing very well. Its not 'legal' for me to keep him but i cant very wll throw away a life based on legal technicalities. If i can prevent infection in the wing, its looking like i may have a new 'pet'

Any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 9th July 2019, 06:04 AM
Try to provide everything close to his wild home as possible. he is going to need an aviary with sunlight, and because they mate for life and migrate in flocks, social birds.. , it would be happier with another dove . You can get a hen ring neck dove. It Needs to be a hen as two males may not get along, but two hens would.

A wild bird being caged is a sad affair, sometimes I wonder if death is less cruel.
Posted 9th July 2019, 07:40 AM
Hi, thanks so much for helping him.

Have you noticed if the injury has a bad smell? When I rescued my broken wing pigeon Apple she had a bad smell because the wound was becoming infected. In these cases an oral antibiotic is absolutely and urgently needed.
Are you still disinfecting the wound and applying an antibiotic cream?

Can you find there a complete vitamin supplement (vitamins + trace elements +amino acids)? If so, you can put it in his drinking water, it will help him to stay as strong as possible.

Posted 9th July 2019, 07:48 AM
We adopted a critically injured feral pigeon and got her fixed up and gave her as much love and enrichment possible. We felt life in a cage is better than being dead.
Posted 9th July 2019, 10:17 AM
Hi everyone! Thank you for the suggestions. If i keep the bird myself i will build an outdoor aviary, i wouldnt intend on caging it up in the house. Thank you for suggesting a ringneck dove as a companion, i know they are social and i wouldnt want him or her to be lonely. The birds mate was present at the accident. 😕 i do know someone who has a large aviary and keeps doves. Im not certain how a handicapped bird would do in that sort of setting.

As far as the wound goes, so far so good. I have been smelling it every day, i have a very good sense of smell, and there is no smell to it. Except at times the lingering scent of the chlorhexidine. The wing is scabbing up now, which is an ok sign, i wouldve rather kept it bandaged and moist to heal but the bird would not keep a bandage on for any length of time.
Posted 10th July 2019, 02:16 AM
I have an ex-PMV that I'm keeping and I'm in the process of having a 6ft x 18 ft aviary built in my garden. I intend to put grass, plants, climbling equipment, ramps etc in it to give him the most interesting life that I can and encourage him to fly a bit more. Keeping a bird caged isn't my preferred option, I was really disappointed when I was told I wouldn't be able to set him free, but he's not a very wild bird and likes human company. Depending how things go I may see if I can get another disabled pigeon so that he has company.

I don't know where you are but if you're in the UK I used a company called www.4wire.co.uk for my aviary.

They sell complete aviaries or individual panels, which is what I bought, to make your own size/shape. They're quite reasonable, good quality and the 16G is cat, fox and rodent proof.
Posted 10th July 2019, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
We adopted a critically injured feral pigeon and got her fixed up and gave her as much love and enrichment possible. We felt life in a cage is better than being dead.
Feral pigeons are different than a wild species of dove, they(wild dove) do not adjust well to captivity, just like any wild adult animal. Wild doves are esp nervous.

Even hand raised ones when mature are flighty.

Last edited by Ladygrey; 10th July 2019 at 04:51 AM..
Posted 10th July 2019, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauraeli View Post
Hi everyone! Thank you for the suggestions. If i keep the bird myself i will build an outdoor aviary, i wouldnt intend on caging it up in the house. Thank you for suggesting a ringneck dove as a companion, i know they are social and i wouldnt want him or her to be lonely. The birds mate was present at the accident. 😕 i do know someone who has a large aviary and keeps doves. Im not certain how a handicapped bird would do in that sort of setting.

As far as the wound goes, so far so good. I have been smelling it every day, i have a very good sense of smell, and there is no smell to it. Except at times the lingering scent of the chlorhexidine. The wing is scabbing up now, which is an ok sign, i wouldve rather kept it bandaged and moist to heal but the bird would not keep a bandage on for any length of time.
Sounds like your doing the best you can for this bird and that is really wonderful. Everything sounds handled.
Posted 10th July 2019, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauraeli View Post

I'm so glad to hear that there is no smell and that the wing is scabbing up now. You are doing an excellent job 😊.