egg laying - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 7th April 2008, 07:25 PM
Could be she isn't eating enough. Have you been hand feeding her? I think it might be a good idea because those do look like starvation poops to me.
The seeds in the picture...have those been tossed or did she vomit them?

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 7th April 2008, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charis View Post
Could be she isn't eating enough. Have you been hand feeding her? I think it might be a good idea because those do look like starvation poops to me.
The seeds in the picture...have those been tossed or did she vomit them?
Over the weekend, she didn't seem interested in eating even when I offered seeds. Sunday she was refusing water too (she usually drinks if I hold her water dish under her beak). When you say hand feeding, do you mean putting seeds in her mouth, or simply holding the dish in front of her?

She ate some just now when I did the latter. The vet had said to tube feed tonight, but I know it will be stressful for her, so I'm debating whether I should or if I should just assist feed her more seeds. She's lost 20 grams in the last day or two (she weighs in at 320 grams now; her typical is 340-360).

Those seeds in the photo were tossed around. No vomit.

I'm also trying to decide whether I should haul her to the second avian vet tomorrow for more diagnostics or if the stress will just set her back. She has these periods of looking alert, but then there are times when she'll sit completely puffed up with her eyes closed.

I just gave her her doxy dose just now.

Thanks!
Jennifer
Posted 8th April 2008, 04:05 PM
Here's the latest update on Freya.

The second vet did an ultrasound and said there's definitely no second egg. She recommended continuing on the doxy and monitoring her.

She also said that she would not use a calcium/vitamin D product in the water because of the risk of vitamin D toxicity. (And here I just ordered a bunch of bottles of Calcivet.) There is grit in her gizzard on x-ray, so she thought that would provide enough calcium. I'm a bit confused as to whether I should be supplementing D at this point--she did say I could use a multivitamin supplement like Prime or Nekton, but those also have vitamin D in them, so I don't know why the risk of toxicity would be less than way than with Calcivet. Anyone have any ideas on the vitamin D issue?

She also said there wasn't really an accurate way to assess through blood tests whether she was getting enough calcium.

And since she's on doxy, she said I probably shouldn't supplement calcium, since calcium binds tetracycline antibiotics.

The droppings in the picture she said were typical barium droppings. They come out a seafoamy green. I'm wondering if this is what the first vet took for "lime green urates," because she sure isn't passing those now.

I still think it's odd that there isn't a second egg, especially with the way she was acting, but I guess I'll just wait and see how she does.

Jennifer

Last edited by jenfer; 8th April 2008 at 04:07 PM..

Posted 8th April 2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the update, Jennifer. I wish I had some useful information/advice for you, but I don't. It sounds like this last vet is in the know. Hopefully other members will be along to comment/offer advice.

Hoping your Freya will be fine.

Terry

Tags
animal hospital, avian vet, colloidal silver, dummy eggs, egg binding, egg laying, healthy birds, heating pad, nest bowl, nesting material, oyster shell, oyster shell grit, pigeon supply, tube feeding, wing slap