Emergency Help Needed Please - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 31st October 2019, 10:45 PM

Emergency Help Needed Please

Help needed
My pigeon of 2.5 years has been sick again. Although when I open her mouth, there are no obvious white spots indicating canker, she has bubbles of her saliva inside her mouth. She has a swollen crop (chest) which when pressed feels soft. She is not feeding much but still is feeding okay. Her digestion seems to have problem as at times, she poops out food undigested. She likes to sit fluffed up as well at times after feeding stays quite straight.
Past history: Bacterial Infection for 2 times, liver and kidney problem
Past medication: Liv 52, Enrofloaxcin and Nefrotec DS
Is it sour crop or again bacterial infection? Or any other disease? And how do I treat her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 1st November 2019, 09:01 AM
Canker does not always show up in the throat. I would treat for canker and yeast simultaneously. For canker: 50 gr metronidazole once daily for 7-10 days. For yeast: Nystatin twice daily.
Posted 1st November 2019, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
Canker does not always show up in the throat. I would treat for canker and yeast simultaneously. For canker: 50 gr metronidazole once daily for 7-10 days. For yeast: Nystatin twice daily.
Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Here is the youtube link for my little bird showing her problem:
https://youtu.be/xBcSx5H71wQ
What is the dose for Nystatin. The color of her poop is in Dark Green, surely it must not be canker. Should I be treating her for bacterial infection or for sour crop?

Posted 1st November 2019, 09:31 PM
It's so difficult to give advice. She is definitely not well, one can see that in the video. Canker is such a common disease. The dose for Nystatin will be 30 000 units per 100 gr birdweight. So you will need to do the calculations. Nystatin works best on an empty crop, so wait an hour after administering and then let her eat. You also can't overdose on Nystatin, does not get absorbed in the body but needs to get in contact with the yeast. Let us know how she is doing.
Posted 2nd November 2019, 04:47 AM
Quote:
I am a little afraid to use Nystatin and have been feeding her garlic water today. Thank you so so much, is it all okay to treat her with nystatin? If she weights 200 mg, should I be giving her 30,000x2=60,000 units of nystatin twice daily? Or once ? Thank you so much,
Posted 2nd November 2019, 09:19 AM
Searched the entire city, didnt find Nystatin, can we use other medicines such as flucnozale or clotrimazole?
Posted 2nd November 2019, 10:42 AM
Yes, 60 000 units for a 200 gr bird is fine. Have you tried the pharmacies (drugstores)? You can use nystatin made for humans. I'm not familiar with the other meds. Nystatin is quite safe to use, as I said it does not get absorbed into the body so you can't overdose on it. Are you going to treat for canker as well?
Posted 2nd November 2019, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Yes, 60 000 units for a 200 gr bird is fine. Have you tried the pharmacies (drugstores)? You can use nystatin made for humans. I'm not familiar with the other meds. Nystatin is quite safe to use, as I said it does not get absorbed into the body so you can't overdose on it. Are you going to treat for canker as well?
I dont think there are any signs of canker, so I dont want to medicate her for canker. I will search the city for Nystatin again or will buy some Apple Cider Vinegar and treat her with it. I dont want loose her 🙂. I am afraid that this time I might loose her, how many days will she be fine without nystatin? Can she survive it for few days more? She has kidney, liver problems before with bacterial infections as well, I really dont want to loose her
Posted 2nd November 2019, 10:02 PM
The best thing you can do for her will be to take her to a decent avian vet, if possible. Acv won't cure her, it helps to keep them healthy and boost the immunity. She is sick, so she does need meds. I only have experience with a few diseases, including canker. Also don't have a vet closeby, so must make my own decisions. Whenever I find a sick bird, especially fledlings, I always start treatment for canker. Except for one pigeon that didn't survive, the others all responded well to treatment. Keep on doing daily checkups in her throat, deep down with a flashlight. I sometimes think those lesions only start showing when the canker is quite advanced.
Posted 2nd November 2019, 10:05 PM
How long ago did you stop treating her with the enrofloaxin? I've read that enro is quite harsh on their bodies. Did you give probiotics and acv after treatment?
Posted 3rd November 2019, 03:56 AM
Quote:
How long ago did you stop treating her with the enrofloaxin? I've read that enro is quite harsh on their bodies. Did you give probiotics and acv after treatment?
The problem I am facing is that there are no avian vets around here. I have 20 pigeons as the vets treated canker for CRD. Then I decided to go on my own and with suggestions from local pigeon racers and the treatment worked well. She was sick 2-3 times, in which she was given enro for 5 times each. The first time with Liv 52 a liver tonic. And second time when she got ill, she used to be in state if paralysis, and then they suggested to also combina nefrotec ds - for kidneys and it worked good as well. Now she has a swollen crop, searched the entire city for nystatin couldnt get one. Asked a pet store, he said to give ACV and so am I doing now, will also start metrogyl after a few hours. Hopefully she ll do fine and the good news is her crop is getting smaller but the bad news is she has started to do as if there is something stuck in her crop, so will continue canker meds after a few hours
Posted 3rd November 2019, 06:11 AM
Does she do a rotating movement of the crop area? I've seen that twice before and after treating for canker, they made a full recovery. Remember to treat for 7-10 days, even if there is a improvement after a couple of days. Let us know how she is doing.
Posted 3rd November 2019, 06:15 AM
She is eating fine, and to be honest, I have seen canker alot in the past, could you please again look at the video and help me decide whether or not there are any chances of canker? She has lost her apetite but she swells up only after eating, and during night, not while she walks, I think the if she had canker, the lump in her crop would have been visible even when she walks?
Posted 3rd November 2019, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Does she do a rotating movement of the crop area? I've seen that twice before and after treating for canker, they made a full recovery. Remember to treat for 7-10 days, even if there is a improvement after a couple of days. Let us know how she is doing.
Besides she is also not so fond of drinking water right now
Posted 3rd November 2019, 08:50 PM
It's really impossible to make a diagnosis by just looking at the video. One can definitely see she is ill. Start treating her for yeast then, and she how she is responding.