Feathers problem - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 3rd October 2019, 06:43 AM
Have you looked for a complete vitamin supplement rich in amino acids and biotin (like one specific for molting period) as I suggested earlier ? It will help the feathers to grow back and even to prevent or treat vitamins/minerals deficiencies.

As you can read here feathers need time to grow back.

https://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/lossoffeathers.htm

The skin couldn't support feathers growth in case of damaged follicles/tissue. Fortunately I have never had a similar experience until now.

A varied and balanced diet is also really important for a healthy bird and for good quality feathers. You can buy pigeon/dove mixtures of different brands and mix them each other and add dry legumes (the ones for humans) like mung beans, small lentils and peas.

If you can find essential oil of lavender (in a pharmacy, etc) you can put 10 drops of it in his bath water. I was told that lavender is good to fight parasites, you can even put some sprig of lavender in his box/cage.

If you have a spray containing permethrin, you can spray his box/cage with it (remove your bird from the box before spraying it, wait for about 15 minutes before putting him back).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 4th October 2019, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine1 View Post
Could someone please respond. Thank you so much
Have you tried looking up feather diseases online ? There is a host of information which his condition can be compared to, then hopefully if you find which one it could be, you can find the right treatment .
Posted 24th October 2019, 09:02 AM
You to inform you that my bird is still alive. She even started flying 2 weeks ago and moved from the box on table to the top of the closet. She only eats wheat and barley. Other seeds she does not like. She does not move from the closet, only jumps to the other closet when we clean the first one. The problem is that her back is still naked, no new feathers growing. Today I found a lot of small feathers around closet that are fallen from her which made me very sad. I don't now what to do. It seems that she plucked them herself, because she always does something with the feathers. I also bought her grit and redstone. I talk to her, turn the music but I don't know is she happy

Posted 24th October 2019, 12:44 PM
Put a brick on top of the cupboard with a mirror next to it. See how she reacts to that. Females like to look at their own reflection. That might help a bit with the loneliness.
Posted 25th October 2019, 06:03 AM
I've done that today but she is not interested. This is the picture of the fallen feathers I found today, actually a part of it. How often should I bath her? Is water enough? Last time I did it, her skin was red like blood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191025_135526_1572004927967.jpg (2.18 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20191024_161007_1572004961917.jpg (1.95 MB, 16 views)
Posted 25th October 2019, 06:09 AM
Feed a better diet. With more protein.. pigeon peas or legumes.. calcium is important too because seed diets lack calcium. So my guess is this is nutritional.

Healthy pigeons molt all year but have bigger molts going into winter.. so she could be molting but lack the nutrition to grow healthy feathers..
Posted 25th October 2019, 06:11 AM
Also, since I rescued her I never treated her against parasited. Only put powder called Neopitroid on her feathers directly first day I rescued her. Could this be the cause of feathers loss. I am on my own since vets in my town don't have experience with pigeons at all. Thank you all for your kind words and advices.
Posted 25th October 2019, 06:17 AM
What supplements should I order from the internet to give her so she could be healthy little princess 🙂
Posted 25th October 2019, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygrey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine1 View Post
Could someone please respond. Thank you so much
Have you tried looking up feather diseases online ? There is a host of information which his condition can be compared to, then hopefully if you find which one it could be, you can find the right treatment .
Yes, I've tried but unfortunately I haven't foind anything to compare to.
Posted 25th October 2019, 11:15 PM
Don't force her to bath. Rather put down a large dish with water and she will bath if she wants to. Make sure there's a nice sunny spot for her to get dry. Any good vitamin supplement for pigeons will do, one you can add to the drinking water. Also give apple cider vinegar in the water twice a week. 5 ml to 1 litre water. Probiotics for pigeons will also help. If the follicles got damaged, the feathers won't grow back.
Posted 26th October 2019, 10:11 AM
Feed a better diet. With more protein.. pigeon peas or legumes.. calcium is important too because seed diets lack calcium. So my guess is this is nutritional.

Healthy pigeons molt all year but have bigger molts going into winter.. so she could be molting but lack the nutrition to grow healthy feathers..
Posted 26th October 2019, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombina View Post
Hi, you can give him a vitamin supplement specific for molting period like, just for example, Oropharma Muta-Vit, it's rich in biotin and sulphurous amino acids, it will help the feathers tail and all his other feathers to grow back. A bird attacked by a predator (or even hit by a car)usually loses a lot of feathers.

https://www.versele-laga.com/en/orop...harma-muta-vit

I have too a broken wing pigeon, Apple. She needed surgery, antibiotics and a bandage.
She is a really happy pigeon, she just needed some time to understand her new condition. She can't fly but she has her own independence, she walks a lot, jumps and is able to do "small flights" (just for example, from the floor to the table). She also has a wonderful husband! If you need any advice or have any questions, feel free to ask!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombina View Post
Have you looked for a complete vitamin supplement rich in amino acids and biotin (like one specific for molting period) as I suggested earlier ? It will help the feathers to grow back and even to prevent or treat vitamins/minerals deficiencies.

As you can read here feathers need time to grow back.

https://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/lossoffeathers.htm

The skin couldn't support feathers growth in case of damaged follicles/tissue. Fortunately I have never had a similar experience until now.

A varied and balanced diet is also really important for a healthy bird and for good quality feathers. You can buy pigeon/dove mixtures of different brands and mix them each other and add dry legumes (the ones for humans) like mung beans, small lentils and peas.

If you can find essential oil of lavender (in a pharmacy, etc) you can put 10 drops of it in his bath water. I was told that lavender is good to fight parasites, you can even put some sprig of lavender in his box/cage.

If you have a spray containing permethrin, you can spray his box/cage with it (remove your bird from the box before spraying it, wait for about 15 minutes before putting him back).

About what I know many factors could cause feathers plucking/self plucking like stress, boredom, cage overcrowding, sexual frustration, social isolation, lack of hygiene, absence of bath time, poor diet/vitamins deficiency, parasites, etc..
Identify the source of the problem would be important...

Surely she is not following a balanced diet: leave always available a large variety of seeds and dry legumes (like mung beans, small lentils and peas, you can find them at supermarket), hopefully she will start to eat them too. You can also add a mixture for canaries containing dehydrated fruits, my birds love it.

As I suggested in my previous posts, you could look for a complete vitamin supplement specific for molting period. Something similar to Muta-Vit Oropharma would be ok:

https://www.versele-laga.com/en/orop...harma-muta-vit

These are the constituents, it's rich in biotin and sulphurous amino acids.

Nutritional additives
vitamin A 2850000 IU, vitamin D3 200000 IU, vitamin E 20000 mg, vitamin K3 635 mg, vitamin B1 830 mg, vitamin B2 3350 mg, calcium D-pantothenate 2300 mg, vitamin B6 1250 mg, vitamin B12 5 mg, vitamin C 12550 mg, niacin 16750 mg, folic acid 310 mg, biotin 225 mg, 3.2.3. L-lysine 19000 mg, 3c301 DL-methionine 28500 mg, E1 (iron) 2350 mg, E4 (copper) 475 mg, E5 (manganese) 4700 mg, 3b605 (zinc) 4250 mg, 3b202 (iodine) 95 mg, 3b8.11 (selenium) 19 mg

You can leave available a dog bowl for her bath (you can put paper towel or a puppy pad trainer under it, this way you can absorb the water and protect the closet, usually pigeons splash water everywhere! ). My pigeons decide on their own when take a bath (they love bathing!).

I have never heard of Neopitroid, I don't know if it could be the cause of feathers loss (when you put the powder on her, the skin was damaged because of the predator attack ?). Have you noticed if she scratches herself a lot?

I'm really glad to hear that she flew from the table to the closet, even my broken wing pigeon Apple has her own independence (she jumps, she does "small flights" like, for example, from the floor to the table ) . Probably she only jumps from the first closet to the other closet because of her wing, my pigeon Apple can't fly around the room. How are her "flying abilities" ? Be careful that she doesn't fall from the closet to the floor. My pigeon needed time to learn and understand her new condition of "disabled pigeon".
Posted 27th October 2019, 05:28 AM
Really, this does not need to be complicated and her have tons of info to go through,

As said a simple change in the diet, more protein... look up a healthy pigeon seed grain and legume diet.. feed that, in a few months there should be an improvement.

No need to beat this to death with more info than is helpful or necessary.

Report back in a few months tell us how itís going.
Posted 27th October 2019, 02:47 PM
Thank you very much Columbina for detailed information. I will do as you said. Hope for the best Last night she fell from the closet while resting I suppose because it was dark. Today morning she hid behind the closet and got stuck there. I got so scared so I moved closet. She will be in the box until I buy cage big enough for her. Also, while catching her I noticed that new fearhers started to grow everywhere and I am so happy. I will get her Mutavit as you suggested. Thank sooo much one again for the support and advices from all of you
Posted 29th October 2019, 10:51 AM
You're welcome 😊.

I'm really glad to hear that new feathers started to grow everywhere!
In normal times (no more feathers problems, no molting) you could use a "normal" complete vitamin supplement like Omni-vit.

My broken wing pigeon Apple needed time to learn how to live with her disability.
When I rescued her I bought too a cage (I used it especially for night time). I chose one for rodents, size:

Length 1,00 m
Height 0,50 m
Width 0,60 m

Now she lives free in the room with her husband Marshall and my other birds.
Her nest is closer to the floor. Pigeons are really smart: she knows where she can go and how to go there. When she wants to go somewhere she studies a "map": once she wanted to go on a dresser so she jumped from the floor to the table, then from the table to the dresser. She never goes on the top of the wardrobe.

I'm sorry to hear that she fell from the closet...
Yes, usually pigeons can't see well in the dark (lol except my pigeon Marshall, I don't know why but he moves well in the dark.. Joking I say that he got superpower from PMV 😅...).

Keep us updated 😊.

Tags
lack of feathers, no feathers