Feathers problem - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 17th September 2019, 11:16 AM

Feathers problem

Dear all,
Last Friday I found pigeon on the street. He was injured, so I took he home. His right leg was hurt, he couldn't walk or fly. Yesterday I took him to the only bird vet we have in town. He made x ray of his wings and foot. The news were not good. He is about 3 months old and according to vet he will never fly again because one wing is broken. The foot also won't heal , so they suggested to euthanize him. Of course, that is out of question. So I took him back home. Vet said he is not in pain, which is most important for me.

My current problem is following. My little one does not have any feathers on his back and under his wings. These parts look like the feathers were plucked. Only thing you can see is his pink skin. He also has only one tail feather I am worried about this. Could this be some kind of skin/feather disease? What should I do? The vet didn't give me any answer. Is there any kind of cream I could apply to make his feathers grow.

Thank you in advance, for every information, advice you may give me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 17th September 2019, 11:57 AM
Can you post a photo of him? Sounds as if a predator tried to get hold of him. Can you see any scratches or bitemarks on him? If a cat was involved, he will need antibiotics. The feathers will eventually grow back.
Posted 17th September 2019, 02:29 PM
Question

crippled pigeon/mauled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine1 View Post
Dear all,
Last Friday I found pigeon on the street. He was injured, so I took he home. His right leg was hurt, he couldn't walk or fly. Yesterday I took him to the only bird vet we have in town. He made x ray of his wings and foot. The news were not good. He is about 3 months old and according to vet he will never fly again because one wing is broken. The foot also won't heal , so they suggested to euthanize him. Of course, that is out of question. So I took him back home. Vet said he is not in pain, which is most important for me.

My current problem is following. My little one does not have any feathers on his back and under his wings. These parts look like the feathers were plucked. Only thing you can see is his pink skin. He also has only one tail feather I am worried about this. Could this be some kind of skin/feather disease? What should I do? The vet didn't give me any answer. Is there any kind of cream I could apply to make his feathers grow.

dear sunshine1,-did the vet even try to set the wing.??-any open wound can be effectively treated with bactine,-is the foot/leg-ok.??-it is a long shot,but he might heal up on his own-in time..--the remaining feathers-are they in good condition or does it look as though they have been chewed on..??--if good,-try food/water for a few weeks,watching his progress-wildbird food,pigeon food-[peas,etc]-,safflower seeds,sunflower hearts,-and store him in his own -quite-environment...sincerely james waller

Posted 18th September 2019, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
Can you post a photo of him? Sounds as if a predator tried to get hold of him. Can you see any scratches or bitemarks on him? If a cat was involved, he will need antibiotics. The feathers will eventually grow back.
Dear Marina this is the picture of his back. Even the bone can be seen 😞
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190918_091428_1568791452639.jpg (2.68 MB, 59 views)
Posted 18th September 2019, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswaller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine1 View Post
Dear all,
Last Friday I found pigeon on the street. He was injured, so I took he home. His right leg was hurt, he couldn't walk or fly. Yesterday I took him to the only bird vet we have in town. He made x ray of his wings and foot. The news were not good. He is about 3 months old and according to vet he will never fly again because one wing is broken. The foot also won't heal [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.pigeons.biz/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG], so they suggested to euthanize him. Of course, that is out of question. So I took him back home. Vet said he is not in pain, which is most important for me.

My current problem is following. My little one does not have any feathers on his back and under his wings. These parts look like the feathers were plucked. Only thing you can see is his pink skin. He also has only one tail feather [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.pigeons.biz/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG] I am worried about this. Could this be some kind of skin/feather disease? What should I do? The vet didn't give me any answer. Is there any kind of cream I could apply to make his feathers grow.

dear sunshine1,-did the vet even try to set the wing.??-any open wound can be effectively treated with bactine,-is the foot/leg-ok.??-it is a long shot,but he might heal up on his own-in time..--the remaining feathers-are they in good condition or does it look as though they have been chewed on..??--if good,-try food/water for a few weeks,watching his progress-wildbird food,pigeon food-[peas,etc]-,safflower seeds,sunflower hearts,-and store him in his own -quite-environment...sincerely james waller[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.pigeons.biz/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.pigeons.biz/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]
Dear James, I just posted a picture of him where his back can bee seen 😞 please take a look
Posted 18th September 2019, 01:29 AM
This is the picture of remaining feathers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190918_091238_1568791740108.jpg (2.61 MB, 59 views)
Posted 18th September 2019, 09:53 AM
He looks young. Is he at least eating and drinking by himself? The first photo is a bit unclear, but I can't see any scrathes or bitemarks except for the hole. Who knows what he went through before you found him? Maybe the human factor (kids) were involved?

Just keep an eye on him and watch out for infection on the back area. The feathers will eventually grow back, may take a couple of weeks especially for the tail feathers.

Some vets just don't care for pigeons. Is there no other avian vet you can take him to that will set the wing?
Posted 18th September 2019, 04:36 PM
Yes, he is eating well and drinking water 🙂 I talk and sing to him and he seems interested 🙂 he is slowly getting used to me and my mum. Unfortunately I am on my own. Vets here are not familiar with birds, especially pigeons. I would also like to find him somekind of entertainment because I don't want him to be depressed. Are there any suggestions? 🙂 Currently I keep him in a carton box
Posted 18th September 2019, 11:19 PM
If you are going to keep him longterm, you might as well invest in a large cage to house him in. Otherwise, turn the box on the side with the opening to the front, and cover the opening with chickenwire or something. Put the box on a table, a bit of height makes them feel safe. Also, put a perch inside for him. Pigeon loves their own reflection, so you can put a mirror inside for him.
Posted 19th September 2019, 03:24 AM
Hi, you can give him a vitamin supplement specific for molting period like, just for example, Oropharma Muta-Vit, it's rich in biotin and sulphurous amino acids, it will help the feathers tail and all his other feathers to grow back. A bird attacked by a predator (or even hit by a car)usually loses a lot of feathers.

https://www.versele-laga.com/en/orop...harma-muta-vit

I have too a broken wing pigeon, Apple. She needed surgery, antibiotics and a bandage.
She is a really happy pigeon, she just needed some time to understand her new condition. She can't fly but she has her own independence, she walks a lot, jumps and is able to do "small flights" (just for example, from the floor to the table). She also has a wonderful husband! If you need any advice or have any questions, feel free to ask!
Posted 27th September 2019, 08:55 AM
Dear please look at these photos I took few minutes ago while bathing her (just with water). It seems worse than I first thought because she is almost naked on her back and wings. Especially tail worries me because I saw few drops of blood 😞. Any suggestions? Is this normal? Thank you a lot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190927_164033_1569596059752.jpg (2.48 MB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20190927_164056_1569596081716.jpg (1.99 MB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20190927_164104_1569596101974.jpg (1.93 MB, 41 views)
Posted 28th September 2019, 01:01 AM
Could someone please respond. Thank you so much
Posted 28th September 2019, 04:54 AM
Poor thing, that is not normal. I don't know if you can maybe get hold of a Aloe vera plant. Use the inside of the leave and gently rub it on those areas. Totally natural and will ease the irritation. If you can get hold of Betamox (contains amoxycillin), that will help against infection. I will help with dosage and how to administer.
Posted 30th September 2019, 01:41 PM
This was skin color just after the bath with water. After he dried his skin returned pink color. However I am worried because feathers don't tend to grow in those missing areas even though I have him for 18 days. He cleans himself very often so I am worried that he has parasites. I bought Neopitroid powder but I am afraid if it will irritate his naked pink skin. Don't know what to do and there is no vet to ask 😞
Posted 1st October 2019, 07:21 AM
It's normal for a pigeon to groom himself, does not mean he has parasites. Don't put something on his skin if you are not 100% sure it will be safe. Maybe the blood was old from the injury that he had. If the follicles are damaged, he might never grow feathers again. Only time will tell.

As long as he is eating well and behaving normally, you have nothing to worry about.

Tags
lack of feathers, no feathers