Feral pigeon possible broken wing help please - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 3rd February 2017, 06:17 PM

Feral pigeon possible broken wing help please

I have found a feral pigeon in San Francisco and i believe it has a broken wing it was unable to fly from me and let me take him. I don't know of any vet that could help at a low cost with a feral pigeon and I know sf animal control pretty much puts them down even if they can be rehabbed. So if anyone can help with a vet in the city. Most rescue places I have seen online are far and I don't have a car. PLEASE HELP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 4th February 2017, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecrump89 View Post
I have found a feral pigeon in San Francisco and i believe it has a broken wing it was unable to fly from me and let me take him. I don't know of any vet that could help at a low cost with a feral pigeon and I know sf animal control pretty much puts them down even if they can be rehabbed. So if anyone can help with a vet in the city. Most rescue places I have seen online are far and I don't have a car. PLEASE HELP.

Can you keep him with you?

His wing will heal in 2 weeks. But the problem is if the bone will set in the right place.

He might be not be able to ever return back to the wild.
Posted 4th February 2017, 08:27 AM
Please contact Wildcare who are in the bay area. Let them know you are willing to help the bird and release him.
http://www.wildcarebayarea.org/
There is a pigeon rescue, Palomacy, on Facebook, who are in your area.
https://www.facebook.com/PigeonDiplomacy/
If you can keep him and take care of him while he heals, it would help if you could post a photo of the bird and his droppings so people on PigeonTalk can help try to figure out what is wrong and how to help. He may just be starving. Is he in a container in a warm safe place? Is he eating and drinking? It would be great if you could give him pigeon mix or seed, grit, and a water dish. Thank you for helping him. Our first pigeon was an injured feral who we could not release but who was a loved family member for eight great years.
There is a fantastic avian clinic near the bay area, Medical Center for Birds, in Oakley, but they are expensive. They may be able to refer you to an avian vet who is less expensive. Drs Speer and Olsen are the greatest.
Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

Last edited by cwebster; 4th February 2017 at 08:35 AM..