found a pigeon with both eyes swollen shut - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 24th August 2019, 09:01 PM

found a pigeon with both eyes swollen shut

Hi every one, I found a pigeon in our backyard in bad condition, his/her (can't tell which because i don't have any experience with birds) both eyes were shut and I could see some crusts around them. the bird was not moving and I easily left him up and took him home. I tried giving some water to him and he seemed pretty thirsty the only thing suspicious about that was he didn't lift his head up during drinking as normal birds do. I tried feeding him too which I totally failed. he can't see anything at all. I rinsed his eyes with water and applied some Gentamicin eye ointment ( the only antibiotic eye ointment I had at home). I don't know how to help this poor bird. I really appreciate any comments about what to do with him. Can a blind bird feed at all? how do you give medication to a bird that is not eating? I will try to post a picture of him for better description. Thank you very much in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 24th August 2019, 09:09 PM

found a pigeon with both eyes swollen shut

this is his picture, I forgot to mention I live in Tehran, Iran.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (108.2 KB, 30 views)
Posted 24th August 2019, 10:35 PM
I've never dealt with this before, but looks like Chlamydia to me. Can be treated with Doxycycline.

For now you will need to get some water and food into him. You can dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water to get him to drink. You might have to do this a couple of times for him to start drinking.

Regarding food: the best to feed him will be defrosted green peas. Get a bag of frozen peas and defrost in lukewarm water. Put him on your lap (facing to the right if you are righthanded). Reach with your lefthand over his body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside the beak over the tongue. If he spits it out, then you are not putting it in deep enough. Try to feed him 30 for now. A pigeon that size will need about 50 peas 3 times daily.

You can make saline water by boiling a cup of water and add 1 teaspoon of salt to that. Let it cool down and gently clean his eyes.

Posted 24th August 2019, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
I've never dealt with this before, but looks like Chlamydia to me. Can be treated with Doxycycline.

For now you will need to get some water and food into him. You can dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water to get him to drink. You might have to do this a couple of times for him to start drinking.

Regarding food: the best to feed him will be defrosted green peas. Get a bag of frozen peas and defrost in lukewarm water. Put him on your lap (facing to the right if you are righthanded). Reach with your lefthand over his body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside the beak over the tongue. If he spits it out, then you are not putting it in deep enough. Try to feed him 30 for now. A pigeon that size will need about 50 peas 3 times daily.

You can make saline water by boiling a cup of water and add 1 teaspoon of salt to that. Let it cool down and gently clean his eyes.
Thank you so much for your reply. I can buy human Doxycycline capsules which contain 100 mg of it. how much and most importantly how should I give it to him?
Posted 25th August 2019, 05:00 AM
I've been checking on the internet for the dosage and got many different answers. Some sites suggest 25-150 mg per kg, another one 10-50 mg per pigeon. So my answer (hopefully someone else will advice as well) give him 25 mg once daily. Divide the tablet into 4 pieces so each one 25 mg. Best to give will be to put deep inside beak for him to swallow. Don't put the meds inside a pea, will be less effective. Treatment will be from 5 to 20 days, until he has recovered.

You can also check deep inside the beak for yellowish growths that might indicate canker.

Are you able to feed him the peas?
Posted 25th August 2019, 10:29 AM
Hi, I used doxycycline just to treat an adult dove (not for chlamydia) but maybe that experience can help to find the right/best dosage.

The vet gave me doxycycline 20 mg for dogs and cats.

Dosage prescribed by the vet (see the pic):

- one tablet once a day for 3 days:

- half a tablet once a day for 7 days (then he decided to extend the treatment: so I gave half a tablet once a day for 10 days).

Total days treatment: 13 days

A dove is smaller than a pigeon.

I read online that the suggested dosage is 10 - 50 mg once a day per pigeon.

http://www.homingpigeon.com/article/Dosage.html

https://www.pigeoncote.com/vet/formu...tml#antibiotic

http://www.chevita.com/en/pigeons/tr...ornithosis.php

An important thing: don't give him any source of calcium during the treatment.

I don't know if you can find something similar in your country but you could try to look for a product similar to this one:

https://www.cocooncenter.co.uk/bausc...5ml/20726.html

it's a sterile solution for eye wash. I used it for birds and even for myself (when I got conjunctivitis). Here you can find it in pharmacy.
Posted 25th August 2019, 12:09 PM
A pigeon is bigger than a dove and chlamydia should be treated for longer period.. I would treat for 25 days once a day of fourth of the pill of the 100mg .

Be sure to wash your hands.. it is a zoonotic disease.
Posted 26th August 2019, 06:32 AM
The chevita website that I posted actually mentions a 25-day treatment period with doxyciclin-t. I didn't find there how much mg of doxycycline are contained in each capsule of doxycyclin-t.
So I looked for it online and I read here

https://www.pigeonsproducts.com/doxy...6?category_id=

that each capsule contains 20 mg of doxycycline. Honestly I don't know if there are capsules of doxycyclin-t having a different composition.

Tags
swollen eye