Found a sick pigeon - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 18th February 2019, 03:35 AM

Found a sick pigeon

Hie, I am from India. I found a pigeon that suddenly fell outside my office place. I found him 4 days back.There is no sign of any injury or visible wound. But he is having symptoms of PMV (although am not sure). He is not even drinking or having food on its own. I feed him with the help of syringe. He is moving in circular motions with head twisted. Yesterday, I took it to a Vet and he gave a injection after which the pigeon is not able to walk properly. Besides, Vet asked me to give pegion NEUROKIND syrup (VET) thrice a day (one or two drops per ml). But now the pigeon couldnt even stand on its own. Earlier he used to swallow the food but now he is not doing that too. He is in sleepy condition since last eve. I have tried every possible thing but all in vain. On asking the vet, he said he gave Multivitamin injection. Pls suggest, what to do? I dont want him to die but his condition has worsen. Vet isn't suggesting anything. He is saying nothing to worry, pigeon will be alright. But now Am not able to believe him as after his injection the poor pigeon has fallen more sick. pls help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 18th February 2019, 06:12 AM
If he can keep his head up , then you could try crop feeding him, ask the vet.
Posted 18th February 2019, 10:31 AM
If the pigeon has PMV, then no meds will help. The virus will shed in 6-8 weeks time. It's very dangerous to feed with a syringe, you can easily aspirate the pigeon.

Can you get hold of frozen peas? If you can, defrost a few in lukewarm water till soft and then feed to him. Try to feed him at least 40 peas 3 times daily. You will need to put him on your lap (facing to the right if you are righthanded). Reach with your left hand over his body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside the beak over the tongue. Give him time to swallow and proceed with the next one. If he spits it out, then you are not putting it in deep enough. Sounds complicated, but will get easier over time. You can gently dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water to get him to drink. You might have to do this a couple of times before he will drink.

Sometimes they do figure out a way to eat when they have PMV. Leave a small bowl of seeds with him.

Posted 18th February 2019, 10:33 AM
The symptoms might be from getting weaker, not getting enough food to eat. If his droppings are green and creamy, then he is not getting enough food.
Posted 18th February 2019, 07:18 PM
Marina is right. Can you post a picture of the bird, and of his droppings?
Where are you located?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.