Found an injured pigeon - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 18th August 2019, 01:04 PM
Hi I’m new here but i started looking up info on how I can help this pigeon out. I live in southern CA, I was walking my dog this morning when I found an injured pigeon lying in the grass unable to stand or fly away. So i decided to help it and I brought it home in a box. I read that I can put it in a dark area that’s warm and quiet so it can calm down. And I put lukewarm water next to it with a pinch of salt and sugar. I waited for it to dissolve first. I haven’t seen it drink yet but it’s there for it. And I have bird seeds as well. But I’m trying to figure out how I can help it get back on it’s feet. When I gently picked it up, it wiggled its feet around but didn’t move it’s wings. So i thought maybe it’s just the wings then, So then I gently put it down while still supporting it with my hands to see if it can stand, it couldn’t, it just lies there. So I’m not sure what’s wrong with it? Maybe calcium deficiency or something? If so what could I give it. Thanks in advance

Last edited by Lokafy; 18th August 2019 at 01:06 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 18th August 2019, 06:31 PM
Thank you for helping him! Could you pls post a photo?
Posted 18th August 2019, 07:23 PM
Let me know if there’s anything you want to see specifically. It’s been drinking the water now. when I handle it, it moves its feet like crazy and they seem fine. But it can’t seem to hold its weight or even balance itself. So its just been lying on its side. But he moves them around like nothing, just can’t seem to stand. And also when I spreader it’s wings it seems like it’s bothered when I try to spread its right wing and he tucks it back in pretty quickly. His left wing on the other hand, he lets me spread it but I can still feel a slight resistance when I do. Is there anything I should try to feel for on the wings? Also I thought if it can’t stand then it has to be something with the legs right? But they don’t seem broken, but im not sure, I’m no expert. Which is why I’m here asking for any info I could get. Another thought I had was maybe it’s just really weak? And also how do I feed it? And what should I feed it to maybe give it some energy or strength. Like something with calcium or what?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1566176688211.jpg (527.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg image_1566176767778.jpg (1.03 MB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg image_1566176839614.jpg (927.9 KB, 28 views)

Posted 18th August 2019, 10:22 PM
What does the droppings look like? If bright green, then he is producing starvation droppings and haven't eaten for a while. The wing might be injured and this prevented him from flying and getting to a food source. You can handfeed him defrosted green peas.

Put him on your lap (facing to the right if you are righthanded). Reach with your lefthand over his body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside the beak over the tongue. Give him time to swallow and proceed with the next one. Try to feed him 30 peas for now. Also, put a small bowl of seeds in front of him.

Check under the wing for any injuries. Also take a flashlight and check deep inside his throat for any yellowish growths that might indicate canker. If he struggles a lot, cover his body and head with a soft blanket and only let the beak stick out. Make sure he has enough light to be able to see the seeds in order to eat them.
Posted 18th August 2019, 10:52 PM
Ok thanks for all the info, I’m about to get out of work and I’ll check everything you said as soon as I get home. I had some family check on him while I was gone. They said it’s been drinking plenty of water and they had already left a little bowl of seeds for him. But he hasn’t ate any yet. So I’ll try to hand feed him once I’m home. And do you have any guesses on why he can’t stand? Thanks again

Last edited by Lokafy; 18th August 2019 at 10:56 PM..
Posted 18th August 2019, 11:22 PM
He might be just weak from lack of food. The droppings will be an indication if he has eaten recently or not. They also get canker which is quite common amongst pigeons. Symptoms will be: drinking plenty of water, not eating a lot, sometimes yellowish growths in back of throat. So plse check for that.
Posted 19th August 2019, 02:36 PM
Ok so when I got home last night I didn’t see any droppings but I fed it around 15 green peas, it’s a very stubborn pigeon it didn’t let me do it very easy lol and it still drank plenty of water. And then this morning it had pee’d and the dropping seemed normal since it ate now I guess. But it still doesn’t seem to eat from the bowl of seeds. So I guess I’ll continue to hand feed it, but should I keep doing green peas or try something else? It still can’t seem to stand, also when I pick it up, it seems more active and try’s to flap its wings but it’s only able to flap its right wing and it still wiggles its feet around pretty easy. Just can’t balance itself still. So I checked it’s left wing and I guess I didn’t see it but it has a wound on it and it looks like he’s had it for a bit. It looks kinda dry almost like it scabbed already. So i guess I found the problem now. Is there anything I can do for the wound even though it’s already scabbed? And also let me know if you want more pics of anything
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 071EB1F6-0A1D-4060-9EE1-6020F77C8932_1566246273313.jpg (87.9 KB, 23 views)
Posted 19th August 2019, 05:47 PM
Also how many times or how often should I feed it?
Posted 19th August 2019, 10:32 PM
Have you checked inside his beak for yellowish growths? Take a flashlight or headlamp and check deep inside towards the back of the throat. He might be sick as well.

An adult pigeon will need to be fed 40 to 50 peas 3 times daily, total of 120 to 150 peas. Defrosted green peas are the easiest to fed. His droppings will be greenish when getting fed peas. You will know he is eating seeds when the droppings turn brown. Always leave a small bowl in front of him.

Does the wound have a smell? You can rinse with lukewarm saline water and put some antibiotic like betadine on it.
Posted 20th August 2019, 12:20 AM
Ok I’ve checked his beak the best I could and i managed to get a pic of inside (somewhat) but I don’t see any growths. Unless you could spot something I missed in the pic? As for the wound, it doesn’t have any weird smell to it but I’ll clean it the best I could, but is there anything else besides cleaning it that I should do to help it heal or something?. And as for the feeding, it’s very difficult to force feed it, he makes it very hard for me. Any tips? I’m only able to do a few at a time because it just shakes it head when I put it in its mouth and it spits it out. So I’cant even feed it as much as I’d like too. And I’ve also seen it try and grab some seeds a couple times from the bowl and he struggles to do so. He gets it in his mouth and tries to eat it but then it just falls from his mouth. I’ve seen that happen multiple times. But he’s had a little success. So I want to try and feed it more peas since it’s struggling because I don’t want it to starve. And it’s been peeing and pooping pretty often. The poop has been different each time actually. It’s mostly coming out kinda watery, but it’s been brown (assuming from the seeds?) and a little white. And only once have I seen it like a dark green. But like I said it’s mostly been watery. Maybe diarrhea? As for activity it mostly just lies there and occasionally tries moving around and flaps its wing and moves it’s head like crazy while the other wing kinda tries to move but it seems like he can’t. Feet are still the same, moves them a lot but still can’t stand. He definitely wants to try and fly but struggles a lot. So I’ll just keep updating you everyday and tell you how it’s progressing. But I’m worried that I won’t be able to feed it enough because I struggle trying. Hopefully it keeps trying to eat seeds as well. But thanks for any more info and helping me out. My first time helping a bird but ima try the best I can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22E86A6D-9F6E-4FBB-85C2-4EF48DBDD4CD_1566280700037.jpg (82.6 KB, 24 views)
Posted 20th August 2019, 12:36 AM
Quick update: just caught him eating seeds from the bowl without struggle now! He started eating a lot so hopefully he keeps eating
Posted 20th August 2019, 10:55 AM
Glad he is eating. Lovely bird.
Posted 20th August 2019, 11:14 AM
That's great news! Hopefully he will regain his strength in a couple of days. If he does not start walking soon, best will be to take him to an avian vet for a checkup, one that won't just euthanize him.
Posted 20th August 2019, 01:08 PM
He’s eating much better now so yes hopefully he can get his strength back. If he remains the same after multiple days than I’ll see if I could take it to the vet.
Posted 21st August 2019, 07:53 AM
Glad to hear the good news!