Found injured pigeon with PMV: India/Bangalore/KR Puram - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 27th March 2019, 12:45 PM

Found injured pigeon with PMV: India/Bangalore/KR Puram

I found a pigeon 4 days back which was bit by a dog. I had taken it to a vet and got the wounds attended. 2 days later when the pigeon started walking, it was turning in circles quite often. Since today morning, she had been turning her head upside down a lot. Every few minutes she is doing that for a long time. I matched the symptoms of PMV. I need some help to help with initiating the cure at home. Also, I need some rescue centre which can take better care of the pigeon. I live near KR Puram in Bangalore, India. Please help me as I cannot see the pigeon in this condition. Seems like because of the nerve damage of PMV, she is in a lot of discomforts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 27th March 2019, 12:56 PM
Try these:

http://cupabangalore.org/contact-us/

http://wrrcindia.org/

Animal Rescue & Rehab Trust
14 Chikkalasandra Tanka Rd, 15 Main, 18 Cross, Subramanyapuram
BANGALORE 560 001, Karnataka, India.

Honorary Animals Welfare Officer
Santosh Rajashekar No.48, 1st Main, P.G.
Halli, B-3, Bangalore -560 003 Karnataka

http://peopleforanimalsbangalore.org/rescue.php

https://headsupfortails.com/blog/eme...rds-bangalore/

Avian and Reptile Rehabilitation Trust
https://www.facebook.com/WildARRC/
Posted 27th March 2019, 02:07 PM
I wouldn't bring him to a shelter, as they would probably just euthanize him. For one, it is very contagious, 2) It would take a lot of time for hand feeding and such, which many of these places just don't have, and 3) he would not be releasable even if he does get through the virus, as he may have lasting problems, and even if he doesn't, then in times of stress the symptoms will often return. Therefore he wouldn't be safe out in the wild. He would need a forever home. Most rehabber places will euthanize animals that can never be released. Their goal is to rehab and release them to their natural state. If that cannot be done, they will often just euthanize. If a safe home cannot be found for him, then maybe that would be the kindest option.

If you can hand feed him until the virus has passed and keep him safe, and find him a safe home, that would be the best thing for him. For now, leave him with a deep dish of seed, and a narrow dish of water, so he cannot fall in and drown, and see if he can eat and drink. If not, get some frozen peas, and defrost some and warm them to warm, not hot, and feed those to him. Pictures of the bird would help to know how much to feed him about 3 times a day. Is it a very young pigeon or an adult?

If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted 27th March 2019, 04:02 PM
Hi, welcome to PT and thanks for helping him.

Here you can find some information about PMV:

http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/pigeonparamyxovirus.htm

Can you find there a vitamin supplement for birds? If so, you could give it to him, it would be helpful.

We have three PMV pigeons: two of them recovered well and have a normal happy "pigeon life" (have a wife, eat on their own, fly, work hard at their nests, interact with others pigeons, etc) but, just for example, one of them easily gets in panic and when that happens starts to fly in a strange and "crazy" way. In addition, sometimes, while he is landing after a flight, he hits his legs (because he lands in a wrong way).
The other one sometimes moves his head in the classic PMV way. A few times I also saw him walking back and forth at the foot of the wardrobe (he has his nest on the top of the wardrobe) looking up...
Even if they recovered well they couldn't survive outside: they would be the perfect victims of a predator (the pigeon you rescued was attacked by a dog) or they could be hit by a car, etc.
The third one didn't recover in a good way: he can't fly, can't eat by himself (but drinks on his own), can't interact with the other pigeons in a proper way.

As Jay said, the best thing for him would be caring about him until the virus has passed then finding him a good home (can you adopt him?). The forum has an adoption section, you could try to post a message there.
Posted 28th March 2019, 12:54 AM
I know it's horrible to see a pigeon having those fits and seizures, but just remember: they don't feel any pain or discomfort. Just keep him fed and hydrated and minimize stress for now.
Posted 29th March 2019, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I wouldn't bring him to a shelter, as they would probably just euthanize him. For one, it is very contagious, 2) It would take a lot of time for hand feeding and such, which many of these places just don't have, and 3) he would not be releasable even if he does get through the virus, as he may have lasting problems, and even if he doesn't, then in times of stress the symptoms will often return. Therefore he wouldn't be safe out in the wild. He would need a forever home. Most rehabber places will euthanize animals that can never be released. Their goal is to rehab and release them to their natural state. If that cannot be done, they will often just euthanize. If a safe home cannot be found for him, then maybe that would be the kindest option.

If you can hand feed him until the virus has passed and keep him safe, and find him a safe home, that would be the best thing for him. For now, leave him with a deep dish of seed, and a narrow dish of water, so he cannot fall in and drown, and see if he can eat and drink. If not, get some frozen peas, and defrost some and warm them to warm, not hot, and feed those to him. Pictures of the bird would help to know how much to feed him about 3 times a day. Is it a very young pigeon or an adult?

If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.
I have been feeding her the usual rice and seeds. I had read about frozen peas and corn but looking at the size of their beak, and the way they peck small seeds, I felt that it is too big for its beak. I did the exact same procedure for feeding her. Somehow the bird recognizes that I am the one who takes care of her and would allow me to feed her for few times. She also comes and bites me if it's time for her to eat and there is no food left in her bowl. For water, I often let her roam a bit and pour the water down as she likes drinking from flowing water rather than drinking from a bowl.

I don't want her to be euthanized. But as I have to go to work, I can't spend the whole day taking care of her (which she really needs, right now). Hence, I was looking for a safe place where she can be taken care of, with much more attention. I can go to the place every weekend to ensure they have kept her alive and are taking good care of her.

Just for the sake of clarification, can a pigeon really take in a pea or corn completely at once?
Posted 29th March 2019, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombina View Post
Hi, welcome to PT and thanks for helping him.

Here you can find some information about PMV:

http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/pigeonparamyxovirus.htm

Can you find there a vitamin supplement for birds? If so, you could give it to him, it would be helpful.

We have three PMV pigeons: two of them recovered well and have a normal happy "pigeon life" (have a wife, eat on their own, fly, work hard at their nests, interact with others pigeons, etc) but, just for example, one of them easily gets in panic and when that happens starts to fly in a strange and "crazy" way. In addition, sometimes, while he is landing after a flight, he hits his legs (because he lands in a wrong way).
The other one sometimes moves his head in the classic PMV way. A few times I also saw him walking back and forth at the foot of the wardrobe (he has his nest on the top of the wardrobe) looking up...
Even if they recovered well they couldn't survive outside: they would be the perfect victims of a predator (the pigeon you rescued was attacked by a dog) or they could be hit by a car, etc.
The third one didn't recover in a good way: he can't fly, can't eat by himself (but drinks on his own), can't interact with the other pigeons in a proper way.

As Jay said, the best thing for him would be caring about him until the virus has passed then finding him a good home (can you adopt him?). The forum has an adoption section, you could try to post a message there.
I am hoping that she turns out to be fine as the first pigeon. I have read a lot about PMV and have understood about the nerve damage caused by it to the pigeon. I got very worried because the symptoms were very less when I first met her, and on the 4th day, it is like insanely increased. She keeps her head turned upside down most of the time. After every few steps, she will turn around in circles for long periods of time. I will look for the Vitamin for her and until now I was scared of feeding a pea or corn to her. I will watch some videos on to how exactly the corn/pea should feel and start feeding her that to get her healthy a.s.a.p.
Posted 29th March 2019, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend John View Post
Try these:

http://cupabangalore.org/contact-us/

http://wrrcindia.org/

Animal Rescue & Rehab Trust
14 Chikkalasandra Tanka Rd, 15 Main, 18 Cross, Subramanyapuram
BANGALORE 560 001, Karnataka, India.

Honorary Animals Welfare Officer
Santosh Rajashekar No.48, 1st Main, P.G.
Halli, B-3, Bangalore -560 003 Karnataka

http://peopleforanimalsbangalore.org/rescue.php

https://headsupfortails.com/blog/eme...rds-bangalore/

Avian and Reptile Rehabilitation Trust
https://www.facebook.com/WildARRC/
Thanks for the help, John. I have checked with WRRC, but they don't deal with pigeons. The sad part is that very few rescuers deal with pigeons in Bangalore.
I have also got the contact info for the manager at People For Animals.
I am trying to connect with more of them to try and get her some help; otherwise, I will take care of her on my own, as much as I can.
Posted 29th March 2019, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
I know it's horrible to see a pigeon having those fits and seizures, but just remember: they don't feel any pain or discomfort. Just keep him fed and hydrated and minimize stress for now.
I highly doubt that they don't feel any pain or discomfort. Because the pigeon is acting as if something is there in her head/brain and she is trying to get it out or shake it to normal. She has a nerve issue, so she must be feeling something strange from inside. Otherwise, she would not try to do all the extra head exercises.
Posted 29th March 2019, 03:48 PM
Her head movements aren’t voluntary— they’re muscle spasms caused by lesions on the brain. I have no doubt being this uncoordinated is unpleasant for the bird, but there’s no reason to think it’s painful.

It’s normal for the bird to become worse before it gets better. The neurological symptoms worsen as the virus replicates. At some point she might not be able to eat or drink on her own, which is why feeding frozen peas is good. They have enough moisture.

I cared for my PMV pigeons while working, I fed him right before I left, as soon as I got home and right before bed. I know it’s tough but finding an organization to take a highly contagious unreleasable bird is harder.
Posted 29th March 2019, 06:03 PM
The hard dried peas would be large and hard to digest. We are talking about the frozen ones that you would defrost and warm under warm water. If you cannot get those, then fresh ones that you cook till soft, and then cool to just warm. They are soft and easily digested. To help her to drink, gently dip her beak into the water and let her drink that way. Just don't dip the beak past the nostrils, as you can aspirate her.

As far as not being there during the day, just leave her in a safe cage where she cannot injure herself. I raised my first 6 rescue babies while working. Challenging, but do-able.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 29th March 2019, 10:52 PM
She really does not need a lot of attention. Keep her in a small cage or cardboard box (turned on it's side with the front covered by a see-through mesh so she can't get out, but still get enough light) with a deep dish of food and small dish of water. A brick will work well as a perch. Put down a couple of layers of newspaper on the bottom and just remove a layer every morning. If you feed her well in the mornings and evening, she will be fine. During the day she will try and eat by herself and at some point she will figure out a way to do this. There should be plenty of droppings, then you'll know she is getting enough to eat.

I've only cared for one PMV pigeon so far, by week 6 the symptoms were at its worst and it was just horrible. But then she started to get better. No one will take as good care of her as you.
Posted 31st March 2019, 04:57 AM
Thanks for all the help, everyone. I have already started feeding my pigeon with peas, 3 times a day. I am currently feeding her around 25-30 peas per time. Is that enough, or do I need to increase/reduce the quantity of the peas? I currently do not have the equipment to measure the weight of the pigeon and the peas, hence I am going with the peas count.
Posted 31st March 2019, 08:19 AM
You can feed her more, rather go for 40 peas 3 times daily. Don't be alarmed if the droppings are mushy and green (resembling the peas), that's all normal when they are getting fed peas.

Always leave a bowl of seeds with her, she might surprise you one day and things will be so much easier for both of you.

Tags
baby pigeon, pigeon pmv