Found this baby pegion - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 11th April 2019, 07:20 AM

Found this baby pegion

Attacked by a cat and dropped off when the neighbourhood kids chased it off.Injured on neck , under wings and back. I put some turmeric and coconut oil as it is a natural anti bacterial agent and is most unlikely to cause harm. Fed him some oral rehydration solution since it's summer. Seems very frightened. Poop was creamy/yellowy white , watery and sticky. I want to try my best to keep it alive . Also note , I live in India and the temperature here is around 34℃
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture+_2019-04-11-18-00-14_1554988405361.jpg (103.1 KB, 36 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 11th April 2019, 09:40 AM
If he was attacked by a cat he needs antibiotics asap such as amoxicillin. Thank you for helping him.
Posted 11th April 2019, 09:52 AM
I'll get him some first thing in the morning. Do you think he'll live the night ? Tried feeding him some millets , but he isn't eating any. Put him in a dark room as of now. Also , how often do I feed him ?

Posted 11th April 2019, 11:26 AM
Amoxycillin (sold as 500 mg Betamox capsules) works best for infection. Try and get these from a pharmacy (drugstore). Also get a small medicine dropper that will measure less than 1 ml. You will need to weigh him to give the correct dose. For every 100 gram birdweight, you will have to give 12 mg twice a day for about 10 days. I always dissolve the capsule in 5 ml of water: so 1 ml will be 100mg. If he weighs 200 gr, then you will need to give 24 mg and that will be then 0.24 ml. Don't put the meds directly in his mouth, they can easily aspirate. Rather take a small piece of bread, and soak that with the meds and then feed to him.

The best food to give him will be defrosted peas. Get a bag of frozen peas, soak in lukewarm water till soft and then feed to him. Put him on your lap (facing to the right if you are righthanded). Reach with your lefthand over his body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside his beak for him to swallow. If he spits it out, then you are not putting it in deep enough. This will take time, but will become easier with practice. Feed him about 30 peas 3 times daily.
Posted 11th April 2019, 12:43 PM
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
Amoxycillin (sold as 500 mg Betamox capsules) works best for infection. Try and get these from a pharmacy (drugstore). Also get a small medicine dropper that will measure less than 1 ml. You will need to weigh him to give the correct dose. For every 100 gram birdweight, you will have to give 12 mg twice a day for about 10 days. I always dissolve the capsule in 5 ml of water: so 1 ml will be 100mg. If he weighs 200 gr, then you will need to give 24 mg and that will be then 0.24 ml. Don't put the meds directly in his mouth, they can easily aspirate. Rather take a small piece of bread, and soak that with the meds and then feed to him.

The best food to give him will be defrosted peas. Get a bag of frozen peas, soak in lukewarm water till soft and then feed to him. Put him on your lap (facing to the right if you are righthanded). Reach with your lefthand over his body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside his beak for him to swallow. If he spits it out, then you are not putting it in deep enough. This will take time, but will become easier with practice. Feed him about 30 peas 3 times daily.
30 peas each time or for the whole day ? Also , are dried peas which were soaked overnight good enough?
Posted 11th April 2019, 01:34 PM
30 peas in the morning, again at lunchtime and in the evening. So total for the day will be 90. Try to get the frozen peas that needs to be defrosted. Dried peas will be difficult to digest.
Posted 11th April 2019, 05:14 PM
Fresh peas can be used if cooked till soft, then cooled to lukewarm. Can you post better pictures of him standing? Close of his face?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 11th April 2019, 09:43 PM
Quote:
30 peas in the morning, again at lunchtime and in the evening. So total for the day will be 90. Try to get the frozen peas that needs to be defrosted. Dried peas will be difficult to digest.
He ate six peas in the morning. Drinking plenty of water , but refuses to eat more. He has an injury on his neck , so it's hard to force feed him without hurting.i tried millets , but they're kinda hard to feed too
Morning = around three hours ago
Posted 11th April 2019, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcat006 View Post
He ate six peas in the morning. Drinking plenty of water , but refuses to eat more. He has an injury on his neck , so it's hard to force feed him without hurting.i tried millets , but they're kinda hard to feed too
Morning = around three hours ago
Nvm I watched some YouTube tutorials. Fed him. He seems to be warming up to me ? Shuffles closer on my lap. However , his poop is still white and sticky.i really don't think that's normal
Posted 12th April 2019, 01:26 AM
Can you post a photo of his droppings? Starvation droppings are lightgreen and creamy, that means a pigeon has not eaten for a while and is starving. How much are you feeding him? If he is getting fed enough, the droppings will change to brown (or dark green if getting fed peas) and should be bulky.

It's possible that he is sick, and that's why he was caught by the cat. Canker is quite a common disease amongst young pigeons. Symptoms will be: drinking plenty of water, losing appetite, losing feathers on breast area, making rotating movements of crop area after eating and they sometimes get yellowish growths in the back of the throat. You can check for these growths by opening his beak and use a flashlight to check way back in his throat.

Did you manage to get hold of the amoxycillin? Can you perhaps get some metronidazole, just for in case he needs to be treated for canker.
Posted 12th April 2019, 01:43 AM
Quote:
Can you post a photo of his droppings? Starvation droppings are lightgreen and creamy, that means a pigeon has not eaten for a while and is starving. How much are you feeding him? If he is getting fed enough, the droppings will change to brown (or dark green if getting fed peas) and should be bulky.

It's possible that he is sick, and that's why he was caught by the cat. Canker is quite a common disease amongst young pigeons. Symptoms will be: drinking plenty of water, losing appetite, losing feathers on breast area, making rotating movements of crop area after eating and they sometimes get yellowish growths in the back of the throat. You can check for these growths by opening his beak and use a flashlight to check way back in his throat.

Did you manage to get hold of the amoxycillin? Can you perhaps get some metronidazole, just for in case he needs to be treated for canker.
One thing I can say for sure is , it's definitely not light green. Also , his beak seems lumpy. He drinks A LOT of water. I'm going to get some now. The store near my place was closed. He's eating quite well now , if I feed him right
Posted 12th April 2019, 01:54 AM
Quote:

Definitely worrying
I'll upload picture now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190412_131845.jpg (3.99 MB, 23 views)
Posted 12th April 2019, 03:06 AM
Get the meds asap and start treating him. Catsaliva is deadly to birds and he will die from infection within a couple of days if not treated.

If one zoom into your first photo, looks as if he is starting to get pigeonpox. There's no cure for that, he will just need supportive care for the next couple of weeks until the virus has shed. Can you post a photo of his beak?

The metronidazole dose for canker will be 40-50 mg once daily. So if you get the tablets, you will need to split them to the right size. Best way to give will be to put the piece deep inside his beak for him to swallow.
Posted 12th April 2019, 03:17 AM
His neck isn't staying straight anymore. He was quite alright this morning 😭😭
The stores open around 4 I'm scared he won't make it till then
Posted 12th April 2019, 03:59 AM
Just keep him as comfortable as you can for now. Sounds as if he is very weak. If the food you fed him is digesting, there will be a change in the droppings. If you have apple cider vinegar, add 5 ml of that to 1 litre drinking water and put some in a small bowl for him to drink. That will help with digestion.