Hello do help me out on this one - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 19th February 2017, 11:58 AM
Last December through a Facebook group for Indian bird lovers I got a txt some one got a pigeon whose wings was half gone. I showed no interest but latter on being the only fancier in that group as other people in that group keeps parakeet and budgerigar and cocktails so I asked to let me know the issue. He send few pics, it was a feral pigeon his wing joint starting from the neck was tore apart. I went to his home and stitched it and applied some antiseptic powder and solution like detol. Then the person asked me to take the bird home which I did cause I was bit worried about how good he can handle the pigeon as he had no idea. Long story short, the pigeon is now perfect eating and walking. I even bought a female feral pigeon for him. Today. Now the question "The wing cut is now fine no issues, but it's attached to the body by a skin and end of the bone? The blood circulation to the wings seems not at all good and black feather turned in to white and it's falling off, so shall I cut the wing off? I mean amputate him?? I will send some pics soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 19th February 2017, 12:04 PM
Here are some images from last December as you can see I washed the wound with warm water and detol and then closed the wounds with stitching it and then applied some antiseptic powder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg received_1120996951354736_1487531053406.jpg (101.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg received_1120996931354738_1487531066949.jpg (99.8 KB, 21 views)
Posted 19th February 2017, 01:03 PM
If it has to be amputated, then a vet should do it with meds to kill any pain.
If you are cutting through bone, it could get infected, and would be very painful. Like cutting your arm off. Pigeons do feel pain, you know.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted 19th February 2017, 02:08 PM
Yes I have contacted the vet, but what you suggest shall I go for amputation? I was thinking to use him and his mate as foster parents if possible. I have quarantined both the pigeon with everything possible.
Posted 19th February 2017, 02:19 PM
If the vet thinks he cannot save the wing then there isn't really any other choice but it must be a vet who does it because not only would it be VERY painful for the bird if it's not done in the correct place there could be more harm than good done to the poor thing. One of mine was anaesthetised just to have a toe off and on pain meds for ten days post op so your bird should be anaesthetised too, plus pain meds for a while afterwards.
I can't help thinking that if a qualified vet had done this birds first procedure maybe it wouldn't be in the state it's in today. You need to take into account nerves, blood vessels and later physical movement of an animal before you go about sewing it up like its a piece of cloth!
Posted 19th February 2017, 02:25 PM
I understand what you are saying bro. But at that time the bird was bleeding heavily I am myself a medical practitioner and student, though a human doctor. This is the best I can do for this bird. I do have the bird pain killer and also put anesthetics very little amount. I just closed the wound. However the bird is perfect now. The wound is no more feather had formed a little but the wing is just attached to a skin and a small fore bone. In my place avian vet is scares, still I contacted a avian vet student he is a senior practitioner he said he can handle. Let's see what happens.
Posted 19th February 2017, 04:20 PM
I hope it all goes well and I understand you're trying your best for him. I suppose living where I do it's difficult to imagine being in your situation with no avian vet to hand. I couldn't do surgery on an animal that's awake but I'm lucky that I don't have to. Don't really know what I'd do in your situation but probably euthanise rather than carry out the surgery myself.
Good luck and let's know how he gets on please. Poor little fella.
Posted 19th February 2017, 04:51 PM
Euthanize is a no no option cause I love him as I love my other pet pigeons. He may be a feral but still. I think he would be fine I will try my best rest depends on god. If he wants the little thing to leave then fine if not then not even a seasoned avian vet can help him out.
Posted 19th February 2017, 06:48 PM
Kolkata I would keep him as foster parents to breed and take care of your better birds eggs. I had a injured pigeon and the vets here they won't do anything with pigeons at all. I had a hommer came back from a 50 mile toss with a broken leg half way off, took it to the vet and all she did was made a clean cut with a sharp scissor with no anesthesia or nothing put some powder to top the bleeding and band it and that's all she didn't even charge me told me they don't do anything with pigeons, they just sell for birds creams, vitamins, and oral medicines but no surgeries. I kept him as a foster parent and did good even loft flys and lands on the landing board with one leg.
Posted 19th February 2017, 07:15 PM
poor thing I hope you don't "cut it off" yourself! as others have pointed out, it should be done by an avian vet and under anesthesia. If you really love him don't make him suffer like that.
Posted 19th February 2017, 07:15 PM
Same here there are no avian vets in here, I am also thinking to use the feral for that purpose.
Posted 19th February 2017, 07:22 PM
I was thinking to do it myself with a friend's help who is actually a vet student on farm animals and poultry. I also got a steady hand in such things as I am medical student. But some other member from another forum said he will ship a leather patch which the pigeon can wear so that he can atleast lift the detached wing. Or just keep it in place. The wing is actually attached to his body with a thought tissue and a small bone. Just hoping for the best.
Posted 19th February 2017, 07:32 PM
Do you have access to pain meds such as meloxicam or tramadol or something for pain for the poor bird? Am glad you are trying to help him.

Last edited by cwebster; 19th February 2017 at 07:37 PM..
Posted 20th February 2017, 11:31 AM
I need to check, through the composition and then go through some research to see weather any Indian manufacturer manufactures it. Thanks for letting me know