Help cruelty on pigeons and doves (glue) - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 9th February 2017, 08:40 PM
Poor birds. Thank you for helping them. Yes Jay3 has a good idea...sand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 10th February 2017, 02:52 PM
Hi,

the birds are both alive. The pigeon looks more active than the dove. The dove is still lethargic.

I have to hand feed them (so now I have to hand feed 4 birds; of course, I do that with happiness because it means that they are all alive). I have started to give them vitamins (PICAGIX) to help feathers to grow back.

Unfortunately I noticed that the pigeon still has glue also on his body (yesterday I was too scared and angry to notice that). So I have to remove glue from fingers/feet and body.

I saw from my balcony many pigeons which have some glue on their body. I don't know how to help them.

Yesterday night I covered the glue trap.

It's impossible to talk with that woman. She is very aggressive, belligerent and arrogant (she immediately starts to cry and to offend).

Dotty, the net is a good idea: in fact in my neighborhood (three buildings after mine) there is a netted balcony. That person had your same idea.

You are all very kind: thanks a lot for your help Dotty, Jay and cwebster! I will update you, of course!

Last edited by Colombina; 17th September 2018 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: Grammar reason
Posted 10th February 2017, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombina View Post
Hi,

the birds are both alive. The pigeon looks more active than the dove. The dove is still lethargic.

I have to feed them by hand (so now I have to feed by hand 4 birds; of course, I do that with happiness because it means that they are all alive). I have started to give them vitamins (PICAGIX) for helping feathers growth.

Unfortunately I noticed that the pigeon still has glue also on his body (yesterday I was too scared and angry to notice that). So I have to remove glue from fingers/feet and body.

I have seen from my balcony many pigeons which have some glue on their body. I don't know how to help them.

Yesterday night I covered the glue trap.

It's impossible to talk with that woman. She is very aggressive, belligerent and arrogant (she immediately starts to cry and to offend).

Dotty, the net is a good idea: in fact in my neighborhood (three buildings after mine) there is a netting balcony. That person had your same idea.

You are all very kind: thanks a lot for your help Dotty, Jay and cwebster! I will update you, of course!
Glad to hear the birds are okay =).

I hope everything becomes better for the birds and you.

Is it possible to report the woman?
If she won't stop putting the traps or even net the balcony she needs to be reported and traps to be stopped.

Last edited by Dotty; 10th February 2017 at 03:58 PM..

Posted 11th February 2017, 12:22 PM
The birds are both alive: today the dove looks more vigilant and reactive than yesterday. They are still shocked...

My vet sent me and email asking the photos of the dead pigeon and of the balcony. He said he wants to report what happened (probably he wants to contact an animal group).
I sent him the photos but he didn't answer me. Yesterday I sent another email but he didn't answer. Next week I will try to contact him again. I will update you.

Last edited by Colombina; 17th September 2018 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: Grammar reason
Posted 18th September 2018, 11:48 AM
Hello everybody,

as I have some news I'm going to update my thread (sorry if I didn't update it before but, at that time, I had some problems with my internet connection then I forgot to do it...).

So, first thing, both the glued birds recovered well 😊.

I contacted many French animal and pigeon protection groups but, unfortunately, most of them didn't answer to my email. Anyway, one of them answered me and I met a a volunteer, a kind lady, who explained me that in France it is legally sold a product called "repellent gel".

This product is presented by manufacturers like a safe repellent which prevents pigeons and other birds to land on balconies, roofs, etc. without any danger for them but, in fact, it works like a glue (so probably the neighbor didn't put on her balcony a common strong glue as I thought or an illegal glue trap used by hunters as my vet supposed). The product is described by one of the manufacturer like a gel having a "highly viscous consistency".

This "gel" is available online and
even in supermarkets (see the photo that I took in a french supermarket). It is legally used by private citizens and by local authorities as well.

The volunteer recently sent me a photo of a glued pigeon rescued in the city where l live (see the attachment), she had a bad hematoma but she will be soon released.
In Villeneuve-Loubet the gel was put on the roof of a building killing many pigeons.
In Romilly-sur-Seine it was put on a fountain.

As you can imagine, the pigeons
and all the other birds who land on a surface covered by glue die in a terrible way: crashing into the ground while trying to escape, because of starvation while trapped in the glue, etc.

Unfortunately, report is not an useful solution because the use of this kind of product is, as I said, legal.

So, this is the news: my friend told me that a petition asking to forbid the sale of these products in France has been started. Here is the link:

https://www.mesopinions.com/petition...aux-tres/45227

Please share it!

Thanks so much to all members who will sign it. I will post it even in the advocacy section of the forum.

Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P_20180405_180840_1537291921074.jpg (2.41 MB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg englué du 7 juillet_1537291952786.JPG (3.81 MB, 35 views)
Posted 18th September 2018, 02:57 PM
I think it a horrible product, and mean to use for any animal, but unfortunately I doubt that a partition will change anything. The makers of this horrible product make a lot of money selling it, and they are not going to stop. It is used to kill many kinds of animals all over the world. If the uncaring people who buy it are willing to spend money on it, they will make it.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 18th September 2018, 09:32 PM
Very very sad to hear about.
Posted 19th September 2018, 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I think it a horrible product, and mean to use for any animal, but unfortunately I doubt that a partition will change anything. The makers of this horrible product make a lot of money selling it, and they are not going to stop. It is used to kill many kinds of animals all over the world. If the uncaring people who buy it are willing to spend money on it, they will make it.

Honestly I doubt too that a petition can change anything (as you said, manufacturers make a lot of money selling it...) but in this moment it is the only initiative so I decided to post it

My friend regularly contacts all the associations (she would like to find a lawyer interested in "start a battle" against these products) without any results...

Before meeting her, I didn't know the existence of a repellent "gel" for birds, I just knew the glue traps for mice, cockroaches, etc.
I think too that they all are horrible products, really really cruel.
I contacted also some Italian associations; one of them, ENPA, told me that here in Italy some people use the glue traps for mice to kill birds...they sent me some photos of glued birds..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pettirosso colla borghetto_1537347515732.jpg (144.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg civetta colla cadibona 8_1537347605849.jpg (344.6 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Colombina; 1st February 2019 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: Grammar reason
Posted 19th September 2018, 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Very very sad to hear about.
Thanks cwebster, yes, that's so sad...
Posted 19th September 2018, 06:29 PM
People just don't care, as long as they are getting rid of the problem. There have to be kinder ways to keep birds and animals away that people consider to be pests, but until people put the time into finding them, this will go on. If the money and time involved in coming up with these terrible ways of eradicating birds and animals, were spent more on kinder preventative measures, then they wouldn't have to resort to this. I think some people have just given up and cannot see another way. They don't give any consideration to what the actual animal goes through. That or some just don't care. What they need is a better more humane way to solve the dilemma. Until that is done, these horrific measures will not go away. Very sad.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 22nd September 2018, 12:05 PM
Yes, that's really sad...
Unfortunately some people have no any respect for life...Just another example: in the last days I received a new petition on my email about pigeons and doves trapped by the direction of the Grand Hotel in Cannes, France (you know, the famous city of the Festival)...
https://www.mesopinions.com/petition...s-cannes/48635

They are trapped and killed because they "annoy" the clients eating at the restaurant (that's their pretext...)...really sad...

Last edited by Colombina; 22nd September 2018 at 12:12 PM..
Posted 1st February 2019, 07:15 AM
Hi all, a friend sent me an article about glue trap hunting in France.

The French association LPO (Ligue for the Protection of Birds) has lodged a complaint for the European Commission against France.

I looked for a few links in English language:

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fren...Conseil-d-Etat

http://www.tellerreport.com/news/--f...H1Jutg3-E.html

It seems that glue is a danger for all birds here (probably you remember that here it is also legally sold a glue gel which is described like a "safe repellent" which "prevents" pigeons and others birds to land on balconies, etc...)...
Posted 4th February 2019, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombina View Post
Hi all, a friend sent me an article about glue trap hunting in France.

The French association LPO (Ligue for the Protection of Birds) has lodged a complaint for the European Commission against France.

I looked for a few links in English language:

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fren...Conseil-d-Etat

http://www.tellerreport.com/news/--f...H1Jutg3-E.html

It seems that glue is a danger for all birds here (probably you remember that here it is also legally sold a glue gel which is described like a "safe repellent" which "prevents" pigeons and others birds to land on balconies, etc...)...
Thank you for sharing the news, I am glad to hear that the LPO has started fighting to stop the use of the glue.
Posted 5th February 2019, 07:05 AM
Thanks so much for reading the articles, Howl.

I really hope that LPO will win the battle!
Posted 5th February 2019, 08:22 PM
This makes me so sad Unfortunately this cruelty is all over the world, I saw a similar situation where pigeons were trapped inside a net at my local pharmacy, they left them in there to die from starvation and thirst. Sadly they are not protected anywhere and most people don't care. It is only a few of us who care and love them. Thank you for speaking up about it, I have signed your petition, I hope it helps. If you are on facebook please join the Palomacy group and share your petition there, and if you are on instagram please share there too! there are many pigeon lovers around the world who will sign it. Good luck, and thank you for caring for them!