Help cruelty on pigeons and doves (glue) - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 6th February 2019, 07:42 AM
Thanks so much Jenny for signing the petition! French birds are really grateful for your help.
I'm not on Facebook or Instagram, if you are on socials you could maybe share it there at my place.

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened at your local pharmacy, that's so sad.. As you said, unfortunately this cruelty is all around the world...

Thanks to you for helping and caring about them, I read some of your posts and I saw you are doing a great job! Btw, how is doing the bird with the growths inside his beak? I hope he is fine!

Thanks again from me and from French birds 😊.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 27th February 2019, 08:24 AM
I'll sign the petition in a moment, but for all those saying 'petitions won't do anything'... it can and it does! Here is an example of the current bird protection legislation in the UK thanks to animal welfare lobbying over the decades. It's my job to know this; I work in pest control and have to dispel myths about this every day.

In the UK, ALL BIRDS ARE PROTECTED.

Penalties that can be imposed for criminal offences in respect of a single bird, nest or egg contrary to the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 is an unlimited fine, up to six months imprisonment or both.

There are exemptions under specific circumstances. If the species isn't on the exemption list, or the criteria of the exemption list isn't met; the Wildlife and Countryside Act applies any you're in line for an unlimited fine or up to six months in prison, or both.

The exemption used in the UK most frequently for the control of feral pigeons, wood pigeons and collared doves is General License 05 - To Preserve Public Health or Public Safety. However, to use this exemption the birds must be seen to be causing a health or safety risk and critically; ALL NON-LETHAL MEANS OF CONTROL OR DETERANT MUST BE EXHAUSTED BEFORE USING LETHAL CONTROL. So even if the bird is causing a health or safety risk and it is on the list of species which can be controlled, if you haven't exhausted non-lethal methods; it's an unlimited fine, up to six months in prison, or both.

THEN... even if the bird is on the exemption list, and it's causing a risk to public health and safety, and you've exhausted all methods of non-lethal control, you can only use specific, Government-approved methods. There's a list of what kinds of trap you can use for each species, how often the traps need to be inspected, what you can and can't shoot, there is a 'stupefying bait' you can use on pigeons but you have to apply for a seperate license from the Environment Agency for each separate occasion and it can (usually is) refused. If you don't follow these rules, you can be done for animal cruelty under the Animal Welfare Act 2006. The 2006 Act introduced tougher penalties for neglect and cruelty, including fines of up to 20,000, a maximum jail term of 51 weeks and a lifetime ban on some people keeping animals.

So basically; in the UK you're putting up netting or just learning to live with the birds! Those glue traps and glue deterants are illegal to use in this country. The only thing gel-like that you can use here is a bird detering gel which is supposed to 'look like fire' to the birds but from personal experience, they quickly learn that it isn't fire and they just ignore it.

One company got caught out at the end of January; I'm waiting to see who gets fined and how much! https://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/...rayford-store/
Posted 3rd March 2019, 08:49 AM
Thanks for signing the petition.