Help! Dove Wont' Drink from Dish - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 3rd June 2019, 09:40 AM

Help! Dove Wont' Drink from Dish

I got my ringneck/collared dove Friday morning. She's 7 weeks old. Put a water dish in her cage near her perch...within easy reach. Changed it every day. It never seemed like the water level went down and I never saw her drink. I've been concerned all weekend.

This morning, I had her on the shower door when I was showering. I dripped a drop of water on her beak from my finger. She drank it. Did that for ten minutes straight. Poor thing was totally dehydrated.

I rigged up my bunny drip water feeder to her cage before work this am but not sure if she'll drink from it. How do I get her to drink normally?

BTW: I'm in Hollywood, CA if anyone has avian vet referral.

Thx in advance.

--------------------

Edit...

Breeder just told me she drank out of metal dish at his house. Her dish is plastic so maybe she doesn't recognize it as a water source. He said to push her beak in the her water dish. She won't like that but will give it a shot.

Last edited by DoveSearcher; 3rd June 2019 at 10:51 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 3rd June 2019, 11:56 AM
Yes, that's the best way to get them to drink. Just dip the tip of her beak into the water, not over the nostrils, otherwise she might aspirate.
Posted 3rd June 2019, 12:08 PM
Hi, yes, I think that probably she just doesn't recognize the bowl. Just dip her beak (not over the nostrils) in the plastic bowl. When I rescue a new bird I always show him/her the water bowl dipping the beak, in this way they usually learn it.

If it doesn't work, you could look for a bowl similar to the one of the breeder.

Have you put something in her water (like vitamins)? I remember that one of my pigeons didn't want to drink the water enriched with vitamins because it looked yellowish (as I was treating him for canker I kept him in a box with a glass and so transparent bowl...).

Posted 3rd June 2019, 02:11 PM
Thanks all.

I added nothing to the water. It's just purified water from the bottle. Should I consider water vitamins once she stabilizes?

Took the bunny water feeder out and pushed her beak in the water dish a couple times. Hope that worked.

Now she has terrible diarrhea...lots of clear liquid with lil poop in it. I'm hoping its from all the water she drank this AM.

Being a new dove-dad is nerve-wracking! I need paternity leave.

Last edited by DoveSearcher; 3rd June 2019 at 02:30 PM..
Posted 3rd June 2019, 11:12 PM
Yes, she will benefit from vitamins especially if you are going to keep her indoors. Calcium with added Vit D3 is very important. This will prevent her becoming eggbound when she starts laying eggs. You can also add apple cider vinegar to her drinking water (5ml acv to 1 l of water) two or three times a week.
Posted 4th June 2019, 06:14 AM
Don't worry, I'm sure you are a wonderful dove-dad 😊.

How is she doing today?

Yes, a complete vitamin supplement (vitamins + trace elements + amino acids) would be helpful. Just to get you an idea something similar to Omni-vit Oropharma would be good:

https://www.versele-laga.com/en/orop...harma-omni-vit

Pigeons pickstones/picking blocks are good sources of calcium. There are different kinds of blocks containing different ingredients like oyster shells, insoluble grit (the small stones which help to grind up the seeds), anis, clay, minerals, etc.
You could leave always available in a separate bowl the crumbled stone (if you are interested in it, I will explain you how to cut and crumble it) and also leave available the entire one (some of my birds love pecking directly at the block). Even my dove love them, btw she also loves to directly peck at them.

You can also find water soluble calcium supplement and, as Marina said, supplements containing both calcium and vitamin D3.
Posted 4th June 2019, 09:57 AM
Looks like her dove seed has calcium and vitamins. Do you think I should still get the vitamins and pick stonesblock? Is the brand of seed ok? I prefer organic but had to grab what was available in the pet store. My bunny got organic and lived a long life. Is pellets like Harrison's better than seed? Do you guys feed your birds veg and fruit? I tried to give her some zucchini and strawberry but she wasn't interested.

Dove is doing good. Poops back to normal last night. It was the water.

I dipped her beak again last night and this AM but I didn't see her drink. The bowl seemed full this am after changing the water last night. I don't have much of chance to see her drink though because she is usually out of her cage when I'm home. She took a sip in the shower. Didn't want give her more shower water and depend on it. If she hasn't drank from her bowl by tonight I'll have to finger feed her water.

On the upside, she's super cuddly. Cuddled a long time on my chest last night and first thing this AM. Now if I can only get her prolific pooping under control. I think I counted 6 times in an hour this am! I'm hoping its cuz she's juvenile. It seems like she goes a lot more often than my parrots did. Parrots hull there seeds so I'm wondering if their fiber intake is less than doves.

Last edited by DoveSearcher; 4th June 2019 at 11:27 AM..
Posted 4th June 2019, 11:32 PM
You can give her some chopped up spinach, my birds just love it!
Posted 5th June 2019, 07:39 AM
Glad to hear she is fine. Is she finally drinking from the bowl?

My birds don't like pellets so I can't give you an opinion.

The dove mix seems good. I'm going to tell you what I do: I buy mixes of different brands and mix them each other, I also add dry legumes like small lentils, peas and mung beans (as you prefer organic food, you could buy organic dry legumes) and a mixture for canaries containing dehydrated fruits. In this way I give to my birds a large variety of food. Sometimes I buy mixes enriched with vitamins too.

My birds don't like fruits, berries or vegetables (I had to throw them away 😡 ...). You could try to offer her also a small piece of apple. Just a thing: fruits and vegetables easily get moldy with humidity and hot weather so be careful, don't leave them available for long time.

I would look for a block/stone (of course, that's just my personal opinion!), they don't just contain calcium but also others ingredients (of course, it depends on what kind of block you get) like insoluble grit (the small stones which go into the gizzard and help to grind up the seeds), anis (it helps with digestion), clay (I read that it has many advantages for birds: it helps to regulate the digestive system and in case of poop a little bit watery, etc), etc. Birds eat block according to their necessities so you just have to leave it available.

Doves are really sweet and also protective of humans! When my dove sees a pigeon on my head/shoulder she chases him away lol.

Talking about "pooping" you could cover what needed with paper and painting plastic sheets.
In your other thread you asked about leash and harness: are you thinking about a flight suit? Doves feathers are more delicate/fragile than pigeons feathers so I don't know if it could work. In any case I have never tried a flight suit so I can't give you a general opinion about it.
Posted 6th June 2019, 12:32 AM
I've had a dove family for 15 years. Only the mother and son are left now. I shred carrots, and finely chop apples, pears, poached or grapes and put it on top of their seed. I also buy canary egg crumbles and mix it in their seed. They don't eat chopped greens. They love crumbled tofu on their seed. I never give spinach because the oxycylic acid ( I think that's what it is) depletes calcium. My canary and budgies love kale and broccoli crumbles, but the doves never eat it. They also love thawed frozen peas. They have stringy toys for canaries in their cage and those plastic rings with a bell on the end door buffed budgies. The mother loves that Rory toy. And they love to bathe in a shallow tray. ThThierry have a large crate cup with shredded paper to b sit in. The female uses it all the time.
Posted 9th June 2019, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombina View Post
Glad to hear she is fine. Is she finally drinking from the bowl?

My birds don't like pellets so I can't give you an opinion.

The dove mix seems good. I'm going to tell you what I do: I buy mixes of different brands and mix them each other, I also add dry legumes like small lentils, peas and mung beans (as you prefer organic food, you could buy organic dry legumes) and a mixture for canaries containing dehydrated fruits. In this way I give to my birds a large variety of food. Sometimes I buy mixes enriched with vitamins too.

My birds don't like fruits, berries or vegetables (I had to throw them away 😡 ...). You could try to offer her also a small piece of apple. Just a thing: fruits and vegetables easily get moldy with humidity and hot weather so be careful, don't leave them available for long time.

I would look for a block/stone (of course, that's just my personal opinion!), they don't just contain calcium but also others ingredients (of course, it depends on what kind of block you get) like insoluble grit (the small stones which go into the gizzard and help to grind up the seeds), anis (it helps with digestion), clay (I read that it has many advantages for birds: it helps to regulate the digestive system and in case of poop a little bit watery, etc), etc. Birds eat block according to their necessities so you just have to leave it available.

Doves are really sweet and also protective of humans! When my dove sees a pigeon on my head/shoulder she chases him away lol.

Talking about "pooping" you could cover what needed with paper and painting plastic sheets.
In your other thread you asked about leash and harness: are you thinking about a flight suit? Doves feathers are more delicate/fragile than pigeons feathers so I don't know if it could work. In any case I have never tried a flight suit so I can't give you a general opinion about it.
Sorry for the late response. Been super busy.

She’s drinking from bowls! Thx 4 asking.

I think Im referring to a flight suit. Ill probably keep her clipped. We willl stay at my bros often. His place is chaotic with kids, visitors and open doors. I cant risk losing her. It would break my heart. I’m already madly in love.
Posted 10th June 2019, 06:34 AM
Don't worry, no need to apologize.

I'm really glad to hear that she is finally drinking from bowls 😊.

Here is a link of one of the seller of flight suits, I think they also have a Facebook page, you could maybe see if someone can give you an opinion about doves and flight suits.

https://www.flightquarters.com/bird-...d-diapers.html
Posted 12th June 2019, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombina View Post
Don't worry, no need to apologize.

I'm really glad to hear that she is finally drinking from bowls 😊.

Here is a link of one of the seller of flight suits, I think they also have a Facebook page, you could maybe see if someone can give you an opinion about doves and flight suits.

https://www.flightquarters.com/bird-...d-diapers.html
Not sure if we are ready diapers. I was thinkiing more along the lines of an harness.

https://www.chewy.com/aviator-bird-h...SABEgIvdfD_BwE
Posted 14th June 2019, 07:44 AM
If you will decide to try it, please let us if it works well or not.

Tags
dehydrated, dove