Help! found an injured/sick pidgeon! - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 23rd November 2016, 01:54 PM
You can give both. I would give one in the morning and one in the afternoon, if I were giving both. When giving Baytril, give the whole dose once daily. It has been found to be more effective that way. Also, it can sometimes cause yeast infection, so it is good to give Nystatin or similar also a couple of times daily while they are on Baytril. But you don't even know that he has Chlamydia. What tests did the vet do? What did he check?
How much Baytril are you giving?
The amounts of the meds are based on the bird's weight. Do you know what he weighs?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 23rd November 2016, 05:17 PM
Thank you,the vet didnt preformed any tested ,beside looking and hearing the bird breething.the vet didnt said he has chalmydia ,he said he has some kind of raspertory infection and therfore he gave him the baytril since its a wide range antibiotic.i dnt remember her weight ,but the vet weight her and then told me the dosege which is 0.02 ml per day for 8 days. so you are saying that it is good to give both medicins? or you reccomend on preforming a blood test to nderstand more what is this?
Posted 23rd November 2016, 05:50 PM
Yes Jay3 said its fine to give both medicines but give them at different times of the day, one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. I'd see how she goes with the medicines before having a blood test, just be careful how you give them. Liquid meds I give by a small syringe (without needle of course) in the side of the beak right at the back of the tongue as near in her throat as possible because you don't want liquid going under her tongue and getting into that little air hole, otherwise it can go into her lungs. You can push the syringe a little at a time and not put it all in at once, I used to give three small plunges and let the bird swallow after each one. I hope she improves soon and thank you for all your care.

Posted 23rd November 2016, 06:52 PM
If it is Chlamydia, and he is treated for less than 45 days, then he could just get it back again when treatment is stopped. It's a hard one to get rid of. I would have the vet test for it first. That way you know whether or not you even need to put him through this. You will know what you are dealing with.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 23rd November 2016, 07:32 PM
A test would let you know for sure what is going on. Hope the bird is all better soon!
Posted 24th November 2016, 09:29 AM
today her eyes improved but her generall state isnt better, she is geting a concentrate food oraly with liquids and vitamins, baytril and eye ointment. someone told me that its not ok to give the baytril with the doxycyclin simultansly ,what do you think?
Posted 24th November 2016, 11:16 AM
If generally she isn't better would call the vet and ask them over the phone for an opinion about two meds. Hope she is all better soon. If it is chlamydia it may take a while to resolve.
Posted 24th November 2016, 02:08 PM
If she does has chlamydia does bytrill can help as well? and how hard is it? are there good ods for her to recover? how much affect does it have if ill wait a few days to see if she is getting better befor im doing the blood tests and therefor begin treatment later? will it lower her chances to heal?

Last edited by HelpToAll; 24th November 2016 at 02:10 PM..
Posted 25th November 2016, 12:48 PM
With either Baytril or Doxy, the calcium should be pulled. It binds to the med and makes it less effective.

Posted 26th November 2016, 06:08 AM
what calcium? i didnt understamd
Posted 26th November 2016, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpToAll View Post
what calcium? i didnt understamd
There are meds that when given, you wouldn't give him anything with calcium in it. It will bind to the drug and make it less effective. Grit can have calcium in it, vitamins, etc. You wouldn't give those until the treatment was finished.

Posted 27th November 2016, 01:49 AM
ok. anyway she is getting better ,she started to eat by herself and her eyes no longer look infected.do you think it wil be ok to release her in a couple of days? the fact that the improvment happened fast(4 days) is disqualfing chalmydia isnt it?
Posted 27th November 2016, 08:35 AM
Glad to hear she is doing better, would continue the treatment and keep her until she is completely well and stable.
Posted 27th November 2016, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpToAll View Post
ok. anyway she is getting better ,she started to eat by herself and her eyes no longer look infected.do you think it wil be ok to release her in a couple of days?

I would give her more time, and finish the Baytril treatment. And give her some time to make sure she is stable. If you don't, then she will just go down hill again.
She needs time to recover.

the fact that the improvment happened fast(4 days) is disqualfing chalmydia isnt it?

Not really, Baytril can have an effect on it, just not as good as Doxy. I would wait till the treatment was complete, give her a while to gain some weight back and get stronger. That will also give you time to see if the eye thing comes back on her.
.................................................. ...

Tags
injured - not flying