Help please! I have an injured pigeon - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 2nd May 2019, 07:33 AM

Help please! I have an injured pigeon

Yesterday afternoon while at work I was handed an injured pigeon to care for. Staff said they found it outside, and it was being attacked by a crow. It has abrasions and a small puncture wound on its back. It’s stopped bleeding. Do I need to take this bird to a vet for antibiotics? What should I do? Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 2nd May 2019, 07:39 AM
If possible would take to a vet but only if the vet can assure you that he will treat and not euthanize the bird. He probably needs antibiotics and TLC. Is he eating? Our first pigeon Phoebe who became our beloved family member was a critically injured feral with a broken wing and nearly decapitated. The vet fixed her up and after we adopted her she was the most wonderful loving bird imaginable. Please keep us posted on how the bird is doing. Thank you for helping him.
Posted 2nd May 2019, 07:56 AM
Thank you for responding. I’m not sure if this is posting to the right place, I’m finding it difficult to navigate this forum. I haven’t seen him drink and I’m worried about hydration. What should I try to feed him?

Posted 2nd May 2019, 07:58 AM
He looks much stronger this morning though, he’s able to hold his head up better and moves around occasionally.
Posted 2nd May 2019, 10:29 AM
You can put down a small dish of wildbirdseed/dove mixture for him to eat. What does his droppings look like? That will be an indication if he is eating or not.

There's a chance there might be something else wrong with him as well, and that's why he was attacked in the first place. Is this an adult or a young pigeon? A photo of the bird and his droppings will be good.
Posted 2nd May 2019, 01:31 PM
This is a picture. He mad a dropping on a towel, looks like mostly fluid. I don’t think he’s drinking. Should I try to get fluids I to him with a dropper? I just bought food for him, don’t know if he’s eating yet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 83283689-C5A2-4118-8597-B1130B83220A_1556825361611.jpg (87.8 KB, 44 views)
Posted 2nd May 2019, 02:08 PM
Here is another picture. There are abrasions and underneath that a small puncture wound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5367C762-DE09-4378-B182-589078D8708A_1556827671812.jpg (93.4 KB, 45 views)
Posted 2nd May 2019, 07:04 PM
Really beautiful bird!
Posted 2nd May 2019, 07:59 PM
He's a young bird. Can you look way down his throat with a flash light and see if you see anything cheesy looking down there? Could have gotten him because he is young also.
Can you get some wild bird seed mix, or dove mix which Marina has mentioned? You can clean the wounds with saline and cover with an antibacterial cream.

Saline solution--boil 2 cups water and add 1 teaspoon of salt to it. Let cool to lukewarm.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 3rd May 2019, 08:19 AM
Throat looks clear. I bought dove mix yesterday, but now sure if he’s eating. He drinks from a tablespoon if I hold it up to him, and maybe from the bowl but I haven’t seen him. He’s stronger today, standing and holds his head up. If he gets frightened he makes peeping sounds.
Posted 3rd May 2019, 10:10 AM
Photo of his droppings? He might be too young to eat by himself and will then need to be handfed.
Posted 3rd May 2019, 12:48 PM
Here is a picture of his droppings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7B6332FA-34F6-492D-944F-80BD60F7CA4F_1556909294012.jpg (82.7 KB, 30 views)
Posted 4th May 2019, 01:20 AM
He is not eating. Can you get hold of a bag of frozen peas? That's the best to feed to a young pigeon that has not learned to eat by himself. You will need to forcefeed him 30 peas 3 times daily, so total at least 90 peas per day.

First defrost the peas in lukewarm water. Put the bird on your lap (facing to the right if you are righthanded). Reach with your left hand over his body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside his beak for him to swallow. If he spits it out, then you are not putting it inside deep enough. Will be easier if you have someone that can hold the pigeon for you.

He will fight you and it all sounds complicated, but will get easier when you get the hang of it. They also quickly learn to eat the peas by themselves, so always leave a small bowl of peas with him.
Posted 4th May 2019, 01:43 AM
Ok, I will do this. Thank you so much. I looked online for advice and saw how I could give him a warm blended mixture of peas, rice, almonds and put it in a jar with a rubber glove with a slit stretched over the mouth of the jar. I tried it but he’s not going for it and I was afraid to tube feed him.
Posted 4th May 2019, 07:51 AM
Hi, thanks so much for helping the bird.

You could give him a complete vitamin supplement (vitamins, trace elements and amino acids), it will help him to get stronger. You could put it in his drinking water. Just to get you an idea something similar to Omni-vit Oropharma would be good.

https://www.versele-laga.com/en/orop...harma-omni-vit

Can you find baby bird formula there? If so, you could make some small balls (having the size of small peas) with it: just add some water (you can use the one enriched with vitamins) to the formula, the balls must be not too hard or too soft. You could hand feed a few of them in add to the peas (same method).

As others said, leave him always available a bowl filled with a large mix of seeds of different sizes and shapes.
You could add to the dove mix dry legumes (the ones for humans) like small lentils, peas and mung beans and even a mixture for canaries containing dehydrated fruits. You could tap your finger in the bowl imitating the sound of a bird who is pecking at seeds, this method could maybe stimulate him to start eating on his own.

You could dip his beak (not over the nostrils) in the water bowl: in this way he will learn that the bowl contains water (in case he doesn't know it).

I usually disinfect the wounds (twice a day) with a disinfectant like Betadine 10% then apply an antibiotic cream. Have you noticed if the wound has a bad smell?