Help please. INFANT - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 28th June 2019, 04:11 PM

Help please. INFANT

I found a smashed egg on my feed tray this afternoon and a baby pigeon trying to get out of the egg. The baby is still alive but the yolk sac is still attached. I have never raised a pigeon this young. What do I do about the yolk sac and how often do I need to feed it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 28th June 2019, 10:59 PM
Is the baby still alive? It's very difficult to raise them from such a young age. They need to be kept warm (35 - 38 degrees celsius), for that you will need a heatpad.

Best food to feed will be a handraising formula for parrots and parakeets. This you will get from a petshop.
Posted 28th June 2019, 11:25 PM
You can just leave the yolk sac, I'm sure this will dry up eventually. First 24 hours, feed 1 ml every 2 hours. Day 2: 2 ml every 2 hours. Just keep an eye on the crop to make sure you're not feeding too much. The crop will also need to empty inbetween feedings.

Are you keeping him warm? If too cold, the food won't digest and he will die.

Posted 28th June 2019, 11:28 PM
www.pigeonrescue.co.uk

Scroll down to "raising baby pigeon". Lots of helpfull info.
Posted 29th June 2019, 03:34 AM
The baby is still alive. Been 12 hours. I have him on a towel covered heating pad on low. Still moving around so I have hope. I'm using Kaytee baby bird food. Tube feeding. I've hand raised before but never from hatch. I'm terrified of doing something wrong.

The bad part is I don't even know where this egg came from. I only have 2 sets of birds sitting right how and this isn't their egg. Can a bird carry an egg? The feed tray is in the middle of the coup approximately 2 feet off the ground. How would this egg have gotten there? It's a mystery. But the egg was crushed and I suspect this baby is a little preemie.
Posted 29th June 2019, 05:18 AM
Maybe the egg got kicked out? Do you have a thermometer to measure the temperature? I've only raised from day 4, and I've noticed when the temperature stays between 35 and 38 degrees Celsius, a lot of droppings get produced. As soon as the temperature dropped, very little droppings. Unfortunately, they can't do open mouth breathing at that age when too hot.

The amounts I've given, are only a guidance. Some pigeons are bigger than others, so obviously there will be a difference in the baby size as well. Can you post a photo of him? A drop of apple cider vinegar with his formula will also help with digestion.
Posted 29th June 2019, 05:26 AM
Here is a pic. Seems pretty active when I touch. Hope that's a good sign. Just really worried about the yolk sac. How is the bird going to poop with the sac attached?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190629_062128.jpg (2.38 MB, 24 views)
Posted 29th June 2019, 05:56 AM
From what I've just read, the yolk gets absorbed just before or during hatching. That is the food supply to the baby while in the egg. I can't really give advice. Obviously he is still supposed to be inside the egg. I don't know if you should stop feeding him to check if the yolk starts getting smaller.
Posted 29th June 2019, 06:15 AM
Yes I've read that too. I suspect that when the egg got onto the feed tray it was stepped on and smashed and that's why the bird is hatched. I don't know how the egg got there since the feed tray is in the middle of the coop not near any of the nest boxes.
Posted 29th June 2019, 08:16 AM
I hope he survives, just follow your instincts here. Let us know how he is doing.
Posted 29th June 2019, 10:21 AM
Died an hour after the last feeding
Posted 29th June 2019, 10:54 AM
Oh I'm so so sorry to hear this. Thanks for trying to help the little one.
Posted 30th June 2019, 03:45 AM
So sorry the little baby bird didn't make it.
Posted 30th June 2019, 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoppock View Post
Yes I've read that too. I suspect that when the egg got onto the feed tray it was stepped on and smashed and that's why the bird is hatched. I don't know how the egg got there since the feed tray is in the middle of the coop not near any of the nest boxes.
Reason an egg can get dislocated are mice can carry egg or disprut eggs.
Also the parent birds if their feathers are wet or even just humid the egg can stick in the egg pocket of the feathers and fall during feeding.

Another bird in with them can take eggs as well , like a competing cock bird , even hens wanting to take over a nest have taken eggs .. but unusual.

My guess and highest probability is it got stuck on one of the parents feathers in the egg pocket. The baby can not survive long without the absorbing the yolk.. I’m sorry this happened.
Posted 30th June 2019, 08:45 AM
Lady grey, thanks for the clarification. That makes perfect sense. I have often thought about hand raising one of my babies, tho not straight from the egg. What would be a good age to take a baby to hand raise and tame? I've thought when the pin feathers start to come in?