Help severe Pigeon pox - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 3rd June 2019, 05:36 AM
You can leave the pox growths inside his beak. I'm more worried that the canker might return. Happened to me once with a pox baby. So to be on the safe side, keep on doing regular checks for canker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 3rd June 2019, 10:37 AM
Okay Marina B ... today I'm gonna put potassium permanganate with lime. Will report after 24 hours
Posted 4th June 2019, 04:45 AM
Yesterday I put potassium permanganate with lime on pox lesion. Nothing special maybe it takes time. There's still now no canker at the base of the throat... but it will lose vision of another eye the second eye lesion is increasing... the other part drying slowly... what if he is blinded by both eyes...I fear

Posted 4th June 2019, 05:40 AM
One thing I learned in life is not too worry too much about something that might happen in the future. Rather wait and tackle that problem when it's there. Take things one day at a time. I'm 99% sure he will be able to see once again when all those lesions fall off. Even if he is blind, we've had threads on here regarding blind pigeons that were taught to eat by themselves. This will take a lot of time and dedication, I'm by now sure you have all of that.
Posted 4th June 2019, 09:14 AM
Hi SumanaC, just saw your thread. I'm glad you have Marina helping you. She is great. And she is also right in that he will probably be able to see after the pox has cleared. Not sure about how the beak will be though. I wouldn't have used the Potassium permanganate. The pox lesions will come off when they are ready. This is some of the info on it that I found, and it's for people. A bird is even more delicate.

Side effects may include irritation of the skin and discoloration of clothing. If it is taken by mouth, toxicity and death may occur. Potassium permanganate is an oxidizing agent.
Potassium permanganate crystals and concentrated solutions are caustic and can burn the skin. Even fairly dilute solutions can irritate skin and repeated use may cause burns. ... Note that potassium permanganate may leave a brown stain on skin and nails as well as the bath or vessel holding the solution.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 4th June 2019, 12:20 PM
Oh my God ... the YouTube videos are really confusing us ... Now it's night time tomorrow morning I will clean his face. Recently I have been watching two wild feral pigeons they had pox when they were squeaking babies now 3 months old pox lesions have gone without any medications. But both of them got abnormalities in beak,they can't pick up seeds properly. So I offer them seeds in a deep dish. My pij already having that problem. I'm hand feeding him.
Posted 4th June 2019, 09:37 PM
Today he is a bit shy. Sitting through out the morning with puffed feathers. Not enthusiastic to have food. Coz every morning he cries for food and jumps. Today was different. I force fed him but only 8 peas. He is squeaking loudly. His dropping has an acidic smell today. Though I have given him a garlic clove along with his food yesterday. He has a lesion in clocea today I saw faces attached to it but I'm afraid to clean it as it is bit lose and the base is little bloody so I haven't touched that. I have given him ACV in water
Posted 4th June 2019, 09:50 PM
I will send a picture of inside his beak soon
Posted 5th June 2019, 06:26 PM
Try soaking his bottom with a warm wet rag to clean it. If it hardens that will cause more problems.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 5th June 2019, 09:11 PM
Pox is inside his beak lining... today he is refusing food. I'm pushing in he is pushing out. A lesion in the cloaca area has became big brown half hanging... oozing...stinking... I cleaned up the area with water and betadine... wings have slightly drooling... dunno what to do now. He wants to sit alone all the day. Energy level is low.
Posted 5th June 2019, 10:46 PM
I would really consider putting him back on the canker meds. I would treat him for yeast as well. Nystatin is the best product for that.

Like I said, the one I had got canker again after I treated him. It was only afterwards when he died that I saw all the canker in his mouth. That really broke my heart.
Posted 5th June 2019, 10:49 PM
So let me start metronidazole again 50mg per day with full stomach... we don't get Nystatin here but I have a probiotic and the compositions are good should I start them both?
Posted 5th June 2019, 10:52 PM
Marina nystatin cream may be available but are there any alternate medicines
Posted 5th June 2019, 10:58 PM
These are available fluconazole, itraconazole, clotrimazole, terbinafine, enilconazole, and amphotericin B.
Posted 5th June 2019, 11:24 PM
And what will be the dose

Tags
canker cure, help baby pigeon, pox cure, urgent advice