Help severe Pigeon pox - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 25th May 2019, 11:19 AM

Help severe Pigeon pox

Hi friends this is Sumana from India again and an emergency. One of my pigeon couple from the loft abandoned a baby of them, he was born weak, 5 days approx later from the firstborn. I am taking care of the baby. Now 25 days about to pass and he has got pox from the day one and still the lesions have not gone. Pox is all over his face beak around eye and nostril I have seen one lesion have gone little inside. His beak is always open. I'm giving him green peas and sweet corn in the morning evening and mixed of pulses flax sorghum millet wheat in the afternoon. With multi vitamin. Giving 40mg metronidazole for inside lesion. Keeping him warm. He is eating well and energetic. But the pox seem never ending. The upper part are now dark brown but I feel it is not decreasing in size ... the inner lesion is still there. I'm giving metro for 6 days on the day one I gave probiotic and calcium but dunno if I'm right. Plz help i want him to recover he is a darling he is a fighter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 25th May 2019, 12:11 PM

Eyes

I'm especially worried for his eyes. Pox lesion around area growing day by day. What should I use. Some lesion around his beak went inside the mouth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190525_232329.jpg (2.58 MB, 18 views)
Posted 25th May 2019, 12:15 PM

Eye ointment

I have iodine and Acyclovir cream at home

Posted 25th May 2019, 11:08 PM
Oh the poor baby. Only thing you can do is give supportive care and boost his immunity to fight the disease. The metro won't help for the lesion inside, but it will help if he has canker. Unfortunately the antibiotics will weaken his system and the recovery will be longer. Keep him on the metro for another 4 days (so it will be 10 days in total). How much metro are you giving? I've read on the internet that wet pox is usually located in the front of the mouth and canker towards the back in the throat.

I know in India they use a mixture of turmeric and neem oil to dry up the lesions. As long as the lesion inside does not grow so large as to intevere with his breathing, he will be ok. Let us know how he is doing.
Posted 25th May 2019, 11:09 PM
I've seen you are giving 40 mg of metro, that is fine.
Posted 26th May 2019, 08:14 AM
Is there any medicine for wet pox and any immunity booster?
Posted 26th May 2019, 08:48 AM
There are no meds for pox. Although I've seen on you-tube video's regarding treatment where, especially in India, they use products to help heal the pox. Maybe you can get a few tips there.

To boost him: the vitamins will help, apple cider vinegar in his drinking water (5 ml acv to 1 l water), and also probiotics for pigeons. You can also twice a week put chopped up garlic in his drinking water.

I hope he recovers, the few that I've had with severe pox just don't survive. At least this one is tame, feeding and giving the meds will be much easier. Let us know how he is doing.
Posted 27th May 2019, 02:01 AM
Marina B ... I'm really worried about his eyes, more than half closed... I'm giving him almost everything possible to strengthen his immunity... but the eyes...how would he survive without eyes
Posted 27th May 2019, 02:08 AM
I know its horrible, but those pox will eventually dry up and fall off. I'm sure the eyes will be perfect after that, the pox is actually on the eyelid and not the eyes itself.

All of this will take time. Is he at least cooperating when you are feeding him? Plse don't give up on him. The most important thing now is his breathing and for the wet pox not to cover the breathing hole.
Posted 27th May 2019, 07:42 AM
Hi Sumana, I'm really really sorry to hear about your baby, I hope he will recover well.

Here you can read the experience of one of our members, the pigeon had a severe pox.
I know that each situation is different from others but you could maybe find helpful read about it (course of the illness, etc).

https://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=116058

As Marina said, please don't give up on him!
Posted 27th May 2019, 10:40 AM
Please don't give up on the bird. We recently had a user--Saphira--who also dealt with a poor pigeon that was infected with pox. The birds was in a very bad shape but Saphira stuck with it and eventually the bird got better and is now a very beautiful bird with a good life. It's really hard to see them that way but it will eventually pass. Maybe Saphira can offer some advice.
Posted 27th May 2019, 10:50 AM
He is sometime yawning too much... I'm worried about the wet pox inside too. Could I apply any medicine inside?
Thank you I'm reading the link.
Yes Marina B I'm hand feeding him and he is eating normally and drinking on his own.
Posted 27th May 2019, 11:12 PM
Poor baby. Just keep him well fed and warm, that's about all you can do for him at the moment. Is the pox inside his beak getting larger?
Posted 28th May 2019, 02:21 AM
I fed him 40 frozen peas this morning I'm changing his drinking water in every two hours. Morning I put ACV , mid morning Vitamins with a little electrolyte now probiotic. His poops are okay. He is showing eagerness to eat. I put 10% povidone iodine on the lesions but he doesn't seem like it. The inner poxes are same as yesterday outers are not decreasing in size. About more than 3weeks they are there.
Posted 28th May 2019, 02:24 AM
The top of the lesions are black brown but bottoms are white

Tags
canker cure, help baby pigeon, pox cure, urgent advice