HELP: thin, cold, lethargic homer - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 24th November 2016, 08:11 PM
Exclamation

HELP: thin, cold, lethargic homer

I have a homing pigeon that ive had for avout a month now suddenly become sick. Hes a march hatch so hes not old. Hes cold to the touch, really thin, lethargic, amd has tannish runny stool. He has redish wattles and his cere is a bit pinky. Is there anything i can do for him? Ive been trying to keep him warm and at least keep some water in him. Ive been tube feeding water into him since he wont drink from the cup. I cant feed him anything chunky unfortunately. I gave him a small bit of wazine to see if thatd help with anything. I just started like 2 or so months ago with pigeons so im super new. In case theres anything i have that can help him, i have liquid penicillin, amoxicillin, corid, and wazine. I can also get doxycycline, and sheep wormer if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 25th November 2016, 01:06 AM
Can you post a photo pls if him and his droppings?
Posted 25th November 2016, 04:10 PM

Heres what he looks like. He can still fly a little so hes not compeltly sapped.

Posted 25th November 2016, 07:09 PM
Can you put a heating pad for him that he can sit on or not as he chooses? He is a handsome bird. His poop looks runny. What does he eat?
Posted 26th November 2016, 06:10 AM
Do not administer meds without a diagnosis, the bird may just need an upsurge of good gut bacteria and need hand feeding.
Please do not force the bird to drink water, it may be way too much. Give bird a good pigeon seed mix and get the good gut bacteria growing by giving the bird a probiotic or even a good plain fat free yogurt will do. That will help Crowd out bad bacteria and get some weight on.
If the bird is not eating the bird needs to be hand fed to get weight on.

Posted 26th November 2016, 08:55 AM
I would do as Skyeking has said. Also a few drops of ACV in his water. For the flock it would be mixed at about one Tablespoon to a gallon of water a couple of times a week.
What do you mean by "I can't feed him anything chunky" ?
He is eating, though I cannot know how much. How do you know that he isn't drinking at all? Usually if they eat, they will drink. Please, as Sky mentioned, don't force the water.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 27th November 2016, 10:22 AM

Going light

The condition is called going light by the old timers. It is the disease paratyphoid, and if left untreated he will continue to waste away until he dies.

As I see it you have two options. Take him to the vet or start a treatment. The best medication I have found to cure paratyphoid is Sulmet. It will no longer be available to the public as of January 1 2017, and it is hard to even find any now because people are buying it up. You might still be able to order some through one of the pigeon supplies like Foy's.
Posted 27th November 2016, 11:45 AM
Chuck, you cannot be sure that paratyphoid is the problem. Could be many things, but without a vet check or dropping sample checked, no one can know for sure. Also, Baytril is usually the choice of drug for that.
If you wanted another sulfa drug then Trimethoprim/Sulfa would be a good choice, and good to have on hand.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Last edited by Jay3; 27th November 2016 at 12:16 PM..
Posted 27th November 2016, 12:19 PM
Ok so i talked to a friend whos had pigeons since the 60s and he said that i might try worming. So i gave him a bit of wazine and holy moly he released a ton or round worms. Gross. Im thinking that was his issue because he seems to be doing a lot better since his worming.
Posted 27th November 2016, 02:57 PM
Great! Now make sure you follow up again in about 12 days to 2 weeks. I'll bet that was it. Unless there is something else going on too. Watch him and let us know how he does. Will be wondering. Thanks.
Don't you worm your birds? If they fly outside, then most would worm spring and fall anyway.

Posted 27th November 2016, 03:04 PM
Well i just wormed everyone after that scare. I just got the birds not long ago so im still learning.
Posted 27th November 2016, 03:05 PM
Ive only got two homers and two common (pet) birds that can go outside. Everyone else has to stay in since i dont want them to fly back to where i got them.
Posted 28th November 2016, 02:04 PM
When you worm, all should be wormed weather they go out or not. The worm eggs spread to others through the droppings.
If you are letting only a couple of birds out to fly, you are taking a chance. They are safer in numbers.

Posted 28th November 2016, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
When you worm, all should be wormed weather they go out or not. The worm eggs spread to others through the droppings.
If you are letting only a couple of birds out to fly, you are taking a chance. They are safer in numbers.
Well as I said, everyone has been wormed and new birds will be wormed on arrival. I've got some more homers coming in soon.
Posted 28th November 2016, 04:26 PM
Hope you will quarantine the new birds.

Tags
cold, homer, lethargic, thin