How To Find A Rehabber Or Veterinarian - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Posted 26th June 2010, 06:43 PM

How To Find A Rehabber Or Veterinarian

Nearly every community in the United States, Canada and UK has wildlife rehab centers and veterinarians that treat birds. Sadly, in the United States MANY of those rehab centers and veterinarians, DO NOT treat feral pigeons and other species that are considered NON-NATIVE.

If you have found an injured or ill pigeon and you have taken that bird into your care, you are that pigeonís ADVOCATE. If the injury or illness is beyond your capabilities, never leave it with a wildlife rehab center or with a veterinarian unless you have asked and been told for certain that they are pigeon friendly, their license does permit them to treat pigeons and they will not EUTHANIZE the Pigeon unless the injuries/illness leave no hope.

Should it be that the wildlife rehab center or veterinarian in your community does not treat Pigeons, ask them if they know of a veterinarian or rehabber that does? Most will be able to give you a referral but if they canít, try calling the HUMANE SOCIETY or VETERINARIAN CLINIC closest to you and ask them for a referral.
This may take some time but eventually you will find help.

If your referral is a veterinarian, he or she does not need to be an avian veterinarian but does need to be a veterinarian that has experience treating birds and specifically pigeons. There are more of them around than you may think, so donít get stuck in looking for an avian veterinarian per say. Donít feel uncomfortable about inquiring about the cost of office visit and exam. If tests or procedures are recommended, do feel free to ask for an estimate before anything is done. Only you know if it is affordable to you.

If your referral is a rehabber, ALWAYS take the pigeon to them.
Once you get there, ask to see where the patients are kept.
Ask if the rehabber works with a veterinarian and if so, their name.
Ask how much experience they have with Pigeons and what will happen if the Pigeon is non-releasable.

Notice if the place is clean and if the cages or enclosure are clean and the animals/birds well taken care of with fresh food and water.
If for any reason you feel UNCOMFORTABLE with the rehabberÖDO NOT LEAVE THE PIGEON. Remember, this bird was put in your path and you are the ADVOCATE.
The Pigeonís life may depend upon the decisions YOU make.

Once you find a rehabber and decide to leave the pigeon, if you can afford it, please make a donation. While many wildlife rehab centers receive money from grants and do have private funding, many private rehabbers are responsible for all costs to rehab the wild life they accept. Your donation
can make a big difference.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council

Last edited by Charis; 26th June 2010 at 06:49 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 26th June 2010, 07:07 PM
Great information, Charis.
If anyone knows the 'ins and outs' on how to find a rehabber or vet, it would be you.

I'm going to make this thread a sticky for easy access.

http://www.pigeonangels.com

As we fly,
Let us be safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Let us find safety where we are welcome to stay.

Cynthia Boyce
Posted 26th June 2010, 07:12 PM
Thumbs up

YEAAAA, Cindy!!

Love and Hugs
Shi

LokotaLoft
Posted 26th June 2010, 10:56 PM
yeah I agree when it comes to the helpful info you need Charis is the person in the know ,shes always there for the birds and knows her business and always willing to go that extra mile to get you and your bird there
Posted 27th June 2010, 12:18 AM
Excellent!
Posted 27th June 2010, 12:53 AM
Exclamation

Excellent post, Charis, and thank you for this information. I must add, however, that in the case of state and federally permitted rehabilitators, they are NOT allowed to have people in to see the birds/animals they have. Thus, it may be problematic for them to show finders where and how the bird(s) will be housed. They can lose their permits by allowing members of the public in to view the birds that they have. If they have educational birds and the permits for same, then yes, the educational birds can be seen but not any others that they have. Also be aware that state and federally permitted bird rehabbers are not really supposed to be having or rehabbing non-protected species, so please keep these things in mind when dealing with permitted rehabbers. If they take a pigeon or other non-protected species, then they are doing the finder a really big favor.

Terry

Posted 27th June 2010, 01:31 AM
Can any volunteer rehab pigeons, or is a special permit required?

Aren't pigeon technically illegal to keep in LA County?
Posted 27th June 2010, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAWhatley View Post
Excellent post, Charis, and thank you for this information. I must add, however, that in the case of state and federally permitted rehabilitators, they are NOT allowed to have people in to see the birds/animals they have. Thus, it may be problematic for them to show finders where and how the bird(s) will be housed. They can lose their permits by allowing members of the public in to view the birds that they have. If they have educational birds and the permits for same, then yes, the educational birds can be seen but not any others that they have. Also be aware that state and federally permitted bird rehabbers are not really supposed to be having or rehabbing non-protected species, so please keep these things in mind when dealing with permitted rehabbers. If they take a pigeon or other non-protected species, then they are doing the finder a really big favor.

Terry
That's true although many will allow a tour anyway,especially in off season as human are notorious for breaking rules as it suits them. If you will go back and read my original post... the first paragraph, Terry...you will see that I did mention that not all rehabbers will treat pigeons or other non native species.
The point still remains that if the finder feels uncomfortable about the place for any reason, do not leave the bird.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

DO NO HARM

Last edited by Charis; 27th June 2010 at 09:24 AM..
Posted 27th June 2010, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post

That's something for you to personally investigate.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

DO NO HARM

Posted 27th June 2010, 09:00 AM
I wanted to give everyone this information because you all can do it. The key, is actually making calls and conducting an interview of sorts to find the best match. For example...you wouldn't want to refer a bird with a broken wing to a rehabber that only raises orphaned babies and has no experience with broken wings.
Last month, I was put in contact with a rehabber in a Midwest state. After talking to her for a bit...I wouldn't send any bird her way.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

DO NO HARM

Posted 27th June 2010, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post

Pigeons aside from Band Tail Pigeons are not a protected species in California. We're talking "wild" pigeons here. Obviously racing and show breeds of pigeons are domestic breeds.

You cannot legally have a band tailed pigeon without the required permits. Nobody really cares about the ferals or domestics, BUT it IS ILLEGAL to release them back to the wild.

Keeping domestic pigeons in LA County is not illegal, but it could very well be that you are not zoned for them .. therefore illegal .. I'm not really sure what you're asking, so post again with your specific question, please.

Terry

Posted 28th June 2010, 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAWhatley View Post
Pigeons aside from Band Tail Pigeons are not a protected species in California. We're talking "wild" pigeons here. Obviously racing and show breeds of pigeons are domestic breeds.

You cannot legally have a band tailed pigeon without the required permits. Nobody really cares about the ferals or domestics, BUT it IS ILLEGAL to release them back to the wild.

Keeping domestic pigeons in LA County is not illegal, but it could very well be that you are not zoned for them .. therefore illegal .. I'm not really sure what you're asking, so post again with your specific question, please.

Terry
Letting the racing homers fly in the afternoons is not considered releasing back into the wild, is it?

I've read a disturbing story that only dogs, cats, and parrots are legal pets in LA. That makes my bunnies and hampsters illegal too They closed down a bird rescue project.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/IS+YOU...%29-a083890136

So if my neighbor doesn't like my pigeons, even for no reason, does that mean I can't keep them anymore?
Posted 28th June 2010, 12:54 PM
That is a very disturbing story. But local ordinances only come into play when a neighbor complains. Letting your homers free-fly for an hour or two in the evening wouldn't be considered "releasing them back to the wild," but it might make your neighbors more likely to complain if your birds land on their roofs or loiter in their yard. It will most certainly make your neighbors more aware of your pigeons. If your birds fly around then quickly trap in they shouldn't bother anyone, but you know your neighbors and what might offend them. Should someone complain then yes, the city could make you give up your birds.

Keep everything as clean and odor free as possible and be diligent about pest control. Lots of flies, rats and mice can cause neighbors to complain, too. Make sure there's no feed where rats and mice can get to it.

But even if you take all precautions it really comes down to what type of people your neighbors are. I'm blessed with neighbors who like our birds but I know someone with just a few rescued doves and her neighbors complain about the cooing.

Guess we all need to win the lottery so we can buy acreage out in the country!
Posted 20th November 2011, 07:23 AM
I can not find or know of any pigeon rehabber in my state. If you are willing and able to pay for avian vet that may be the best course of action.
That is what I did.
Posted 20th November 2011, 11:23 AM

Resources in Massachutes for Pigeons

All Creatures Veterinary Hospital
Elizabeth S. Bradt Dr.
20 Commercial Street
Salem, MA 01970
Phone: 978-740-0290
Fax: 978-744-9732
NOTE: Only pet pigeons

Anchor Animal Hospital
Katherine Pietsch
750 State Road
North Dartmouth, MA 02747
Phone: 508-996-3731
NOTE: They see all pigeons! Very friendly staff.

Avian and Exotic Animal Medicine
Jennifer E. Graham, DVM, Dipl. ABVP-Avian
350 S. Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02130
Phone: 617-522-7282
Fax: 617-522-4885
They will see pet pigeons

Franklin Veterinary Clinic
Alissa B Raymond
430 East Central Street
Franklin, MA 02038
Phone: 508-520-9239

Littleton Animal Hospital
Victoria Papscoe, DVM
29 King Street
Littleton, MA 01460
Phone: 978-486-3101
Fax: 978-486-0987
NOTE: They treat pets only

New England Wildlife Center
500 Columbian Street
South Weymouth, Ma 02190
781-682-4878
[url=http://www.newildlife.com]http://www.newildlife.com

Silver Lake Veterinary Hospital
Valerie E Calabria-Maher, DVM
2600 Main Street
Tewksbury, MA 01876
Phone: 978-658-6400
Fax: 978-658-6630
NOTE: Will see pet pigeons Only. They must be kept in a carrier.

South Hadley Veterinary Clinic
William Benner, DVM
511 Newton Street
Souith Hadley, MA 01075
Phone: 413-539-9868
Fax: 413-533-6304

Wild Care, Inc.
10 Smith Lane
Eastham, MA 02642
508-240-2255
[color=#000000]www.wildcarecapecod.org

Please check web page for this wish list and helpful donations.

The Worcester Cat Hospital and Bird Clinic
Bridget Fitzpatrick, DVM
347 Park Ave.
Worcester, MA 01610
Phone: 508-798-0400
Fax: 508-797-1442
NOTE: They will see pet pigeons only.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts