How To Safely Insert Defrosted Peas into ~20 day old Squab's Mouth? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 18th February 2017, 12:12 PM

How To Safely Insert Defrosted Peas into ~20 day old Squab's Mouth?

Hey there folks. I found a squab on the ground earlier this morning, looks pretty healthy, runs around and is able to get a couple inches off the ground when he attempts to fly. Now, I've taken care of and successfully released a squab, as well as a fully grown pigeon before, but the squab I cared for before was mature enough to eat on his own.

I've dipped his beak into water, and he, after a few attempts, gulped nearly all of it up. But what I'm afraid of is feeding him. He's right at the age when he should be learning to eat on his own, but I have no idea how to teach him, and I'm terrified of feeding him myself. I know which hole he breathes through, and it's place in his mouth, but I'm confused/scared of the actual act of feeding itself. I know that you have to put the pea into the back of his throat, but how far? Do I just need to get it past his air hole, and just drop it in there? Do I have to push it in as deep as I can? And how many peas should I feed him per day? Do I pop them one after the other, or should I give him 5-7 seconds between each pea? And what would happen if the pea accidentally gets stuck in his mouth? What do I do?

I'm really afraid that this squab will choke if I try to feed it. So I want to be really careful with this and get as much info as I can.

Also, how would I go about teaching him to eat on his own once I begin hand feeding him? How many days would it take?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really afraid of making a mistake and accidentally hurting the little guy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 18th February 2017, 12:46 PM
It's easy to feed peas. At 20 days old, maybe 30 peas 3 times a day. Check to make sure the crop is emptying before feeding again. How has he been eating up till now?
You use frozen peas which have been defrosted and warmed under warm running water. Warm, not hot. After a while he will probably pick up the peas himself.

If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 18th February 2017, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
It's easy to feed peas. At 20 days old, maybe 30 peas 3 times a day. Check to make sure the crop is emptying before feeding again. How has he been eating up till now?
You use frozen peas which have been defrosted and warmed under warm running water. Warm, not hot. After a while he will probably pick up the peas himself.

If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.
Do you mean 10 peas three times a day adding up to 30 over the entire day, or 30 peas each sitting...?

Posted 18th February 2017, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by m122 View Post
Do you mean 10 peas three times a day adding up to 30 over the entire day, or 30 peas each sitting...?
Give him about 30 peas at each feeding. Just make sure the crop is emptying before you feed again.
After a few days, leave some in the cage with him, and he may practice picking them up himself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Tags
baby pigeon about 20 days