I found a pigeon and I think it may be dying idk what to do - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 27th June 2019, 03:52 AM

I found a pigeon and I think it may be dying idk what to do

I found a pigeon outside my building and it was barely standing up and could hardly keep its head up or eyes open. I continued to the store to leave him be but when I came back it hadn’t moved and was almost falling over. I brought him inside to my balcony (I’m in the first floor so he should be safe there) and made a little nest and gave him a cup of water and made sure to cover where his little nest area was so the sun isn’t shining directly on him. I don’t know what’s wrong with him or what to do. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I couldn’t just leave him there for a cat or dog to come by and hurt him more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 27th June 2019, 05:47 AM
You can dip his beak up to the nostrils not over them, in a cup of water, pigeons suck water, if he feels it on his beak he may drink some . In the water you can add a bit of sugar and salt as a rehydration drink. Try that and see if he does drink.
Posted 27th June 2019, 07:57 AM
Would offer a cup of wild bird seed or pigeon mix too. Thank you for helping him!

Posted 27th June 2019, 11:57 AM
I got him to drink a tiny bit and I gave him some oats and popcorn seeds. He’s very wobbly and has moved around a little bit but not much. I have hopes because he made it threw the morning but he still doesn’t seem very good
Posted 27th June 2019, 03:45 PM
Update we got him some wild bird seed and I made the cup of electrolyte water and he has started to eat a bit and drink more and has started moving around a bit more. Still very wobbly and only opens his one eye mostly but he has started to open the second eye on occasion and seems to be breathing deeper. Hopefully with some food water and a safe place to sleep he will be able to recover I think he may have flown into a window or something and knocked his head pretty bad. Again if anyone has any advice for me that would be great thanks in advance
Posted 28th June 2019, 08:54 PM
We think he may have PMV is there anything I can do to help the little guy or is he going to die?
Posted 28th June 2019, 10:56 PM
What does the droppings look like? If bright green and creamy, then he has not eaten for a while. You will need to get food into him. Best to feed will be frozen green peas defrosted in lukewarm water.

The best way to do this: hold him on your lap facing to the right (if you are righthanded). Reach with you lefthand over his body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside the beak over the tongue. If he spits it out, you are not putting it in deep enough. Give him time to swallow and proceed with the next one. Try to feed him 40 peas 3 times daily.

PMV won't kill him. In nature they die of starvation cause they can't pick up seeds. Can you post a photo plse?
Posted 28th June 2019, 11:01 PM
His poo has been a mix of white and kinda yellow. And will peas be better then actual bird food ?
Posted 28th June 2019, 11:17 PM
Poor thing, sounds as if he has not eaten for a while. Peas are ok to feed for now (much easier than forcefeeding seeds), until he is able to feed himself. Sometimes with PMV they do figure out a way to eat by themselves. When he does pick at seed, make sure he swallows them and not just scatters them around. Can you put a swallow waterdish in for him, not too large otherwise he might drown when having seizures.

First of all, try to get some peas into him. It might be difficult doing this in the beginning, but will become easier with practise.
Posted 28th June 2019, 11:22 PM
Okay I did force feed him some grains today to make sure he got something in his belly but I will make sure to give him more and will be buying peas as soon as the store opens tmr. I’ve been holding him while he drinks bc he hasn’t been able to hold his head up much he does have another shallow dish with water too the cup is what I’ve been using to dip the tip of his beak in to get him to drink when I do that he drinks quite a bit. Thank you so much for your advice is there a way I could keep In contact with you if I have more questions?
Posted 29th June 2019, 12:30 AM
Also he’s been seeming to be most comfortable sleeping on his back in a little nest we made is that okay or should we force him to sleep on his side or belly?
Posted 29th June 2019, 05:21 AM
Rather put him back on his belly. If he keeps on falling over, you can fold a towel around him to prevent this from happening. You can keep in touch by sending me a pm, or just keep on posting here. I will check twice a day for your posts. That way, everyone will see your posts and can give advice.
Posted 29th June 2019, 07:40 AM
Hi, thanks for helping him.

You could give him a complete vitamin supplement (vitamins + trace elements + amino acids), you can put it in his drinking water. It will help him to stay as strong as possible. Just to get you an idea something similar to Omni-vit Oropharma would be good.

https://www.versele-laga.com/en/orop...harma-omni-vit

You could also look for probiotics and give him twice a week ACV (ACV acidifies the contents in crop and discourages the multiplication of some bad bacteria; helps with digestion; etc.).

Maybe you have already read them but here are 2 links about PMV (in case it's PMV):

1)

https://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/condi...ectinghead.htm

You can find other information about PMV on pigeonrescue.co.uk in the section "neck problems" (in the same section you can read something about concussion too).

2)

http://www.pigeon-aid.org.uk/pa/html...irus__pmv_.php

We have three PMV pigeons, two of them recovered well and have a normal happy "pigeon life" (eat on their own, fly, have a wife, etc).

Try to avoid any situation of stress and to maintain the daily routine. PMV pigeons are really sensitive to stress.
Posted 29th June 2019, 08:19 AM
Just to add, when you see symptoms of pmv, that means the disease is at its last stages and the bird can recover with supportive care, as you are doing. That is if there are no other issues. Good job!!
Posted 29th June 2019, 09:29 AM
The recovery will still take a long time. The one I had took 2 months to recover and was only able to fly a couple of months later. The seizures was at it's worst by week 6. Even after recovery, he will be unreleasable. All those symptoms will return when under stress again.