I found an injured Dove - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 23rd July 2019, 01:36 PM

I found an injured Dove

Hi all,

I found an injured Dove. In the past, I have rescued two before under the very excellent advice of the RSCPA, at various points in the past.

Of course, they would always come and collect the bird the next day, one was successfully released and unfortunately the other died.

However, now I live in Norway.

I have another bird which seems to have come off for worse after hawk attack. But for whatever reason, the hawk didn't finish the job, nor return for the dove.

So I've rescued it. It has two strike wounds, one in the upper left wing and one in the rear area. Both wings seem to be in working order, it has calmed right down since being placed in a box with food and water.

However, it doesn't move at all if it doesn't have too, it may just be exhausted. It has not touched the food (seeds) or water.

It has been 12 or so hours.

Any advice? I don't really think Norway has much in the way of animal welfare unfortunately. So it's just me and what I can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 23rd July 2019, 02:51 PM

I have added an image just to help you guys, this injury on the back is the most serious, but it is not bleeding and the wing injury while similar is very small by comparison. A number of feathers have been lost but as I said, both wings are working properly even if the left is obviously hurting.

The bird appears unable to unwilling to walk, but may just be exhausted as mentioned earlier.
Posted 23rd July 2019, 02:54 PM
Sadly, I am unable to edit the below post to shrink the image . Didn't realise this forum didn't have auto-fitting.

Posted 23rd July 2019, 06:03 PM
All you can do is supportive care, heat pad under box on low, , dip beak in water every so often , that has bit of sugar and salt in it. Cover box with a towel and see if he survives. If he is ok tomorrow afternoon, then you will have to address his wounds, an antibiotic for birds will be needed.
Posted 24th July 2019, 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygrey View Post
All you can do is supportive care, heat pad under box on low, , dip beak in water every so often , that has bit of sugar and salt in it. Cover box with a towel and see if he survives. If he is ok tomorrow afternoon, then you will have to address his wounds, an antibiotic for birds will be needed.
Woke up this morning, the dove is both alive and somewhat stronger and more mobile.

The wound shows no sign of infection so far. Current temperature in Norway is 16-18C even at the dead of night and 25C ish during the day. Should I still provide heat when it's already so hot?

It's been to the toilet, it looks perfectly normal and I've cleaned and changed the bedding.

It is somewhat more resistant to handling which I will take as a good sign.

It still had not drunk or eaten under it's own power. So I took the step of directing it's head into the water, after doing so, it drunk a good inch of the water.

Still not eating, but it's a fat bird so I can persume that can wait.
Posted 24th July 2019, 04:08 AM
It has a more serious injury I didn't notice before on the underside when cleaning it's self-mess. Now I am not so sure this story will have a happy ending. Doing my best to contact a vet over here who would be willing to rehabilitate, if not humanely deal, with this poor bird .
Posted 24th July 2019, 04:45 AM
Well, I think it could have a chance if the wound is cleaned and antibiotics given, yes please seek a vet that would treat wildlife and would know what to do or who to call for the birds long term care if he survives. And yes use the heat pad , under a towel, then the box on top of the towel, pad set to low, it helps with healing in that, when injured shock can bring down body temp. It s kind of like when a human is coming out of surgery they give you warm towels or blankets.

Last edited by Ladygrey; 27th July 2019 at 05:04 AM..
Posted 24th July 2019, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygrey View Post
Well, I think it could have a chance if the wound is cleaned and antibiotics given, yes please seek a vet that would know what to do or who to call for the birds long term care if he survives. And yes use the heat pad , under a towel, then the box on top of the towel, pad set to low, it helps with healing in that, when injured shock can bring down body temp. It s kind of like when a human is coming out of surgery they give you warm towels or blankets.
I took it to the vet and therefore sealed it's fate. Unlike the UK, I found out that Norwegian vets will put down any wild animal that's injured and that there is a 600 NOK (about $75 USD) rebate for any animal they euthanize. There is no incentive for them to even try to help.

She said she'd put it down before even opening the box and/or looking at the dove and seeing how injuried it was.

It's also apparently illegal to keep any wild animal domestically and any wild animal that has become domesticated or is being kept by a person will be taken by the authorities and put down.

As a British person, I find the whole system to be abhorrent but there is nothing I could do. It needed at the very least, an assessment but you can't get that without immediately sealing an animals fate here.

That you for your help and advice though. I have definitely learned something very disappointing about Norway. If it weren't so injured and if I were to find such a bird in the future, if it has any chance it would just have to take it's chances with me.

Tags
dove, hawk injury