Infection - Big Problems - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Posted 30th September 2006, 03:46 PM
Maggie,

I'm so very, very sorry this is happening to you and your beloved birds. You've gotten good advice from everyone, and I hope all the birds will be OK. Hopefully a definite diagnosis can be gotten.

Terry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 30th September 2006, 04:02 PM
Based on the preliminary report by the pathologist of a respiratory infection, I was wondering if this would be contagious from one bird to another. We have never dealt with anything like this before so I just don't know. We have them in separate cages in the garage except we did put the pairs together to eliminate additional stress.

Will the Baytril carry them through until we can get Tetracycline or whatever the vet tells me Monday is the best. Also, it will probably be mid-week before the lab results come back with a definitive answer which could change everything.

Boss Hog who came down with it early last week appears to be doing pretty good but his poop is so watery that I'm really concerned about that. The vet that we took him to Monday is the one near our home - not the one I go to most often. I knew when she said he had a concussion that we were in trouble.

Pidgey, we had already buried Ringo when I read your post but in any event the vet had already left for the weekend. I really hate not being able to bury my Simon in the yard but we had to find out what is going on.
Posted 30th September 2006, 06:06 PM
Oh Maggie,

I am truly sorry to hear about your loss, I can only imagine how devastated you must feel.

If it's any help, here are are a few links confirming that that tetracyclines, such as Doxycycline may be given in combination with a Floroquinalone, such as Cipro (Baytril) or a macrolide, such as Azithromycin.

http://www.immed.org/reports/treatme...eat-01.3.8.htm

http://tinyurl.com/qf4q8

One of the links shows that this combination for Chlamydia as a recommended treatment, as Pidgey seems to be hinting at Chlamydia if I am not mistaken.

This link does show that Cipro (Baytril) does has effect alone on Chlamydia, although a weaker one. I agree it would be great if you could somehow get your hands on some Doxy, or any tetracycline, and get your birds started on both.

http://tinyurl.com/jqyr6

My thoughts and prayers are with you,

Ron

Posted 30th September 2006, 06:32 PM
Maggie,

Besides what I already listed, and what I PM'd you, I also have this Herba Air Spray among my arsenal of natural goodies. I use it in the coop once a week or once a month depending on the mosquitos and air quality, but it has a positive effect on bronchial tubes, colds, sinusitis, bronchitis, mucus, etc. and builds up resistence. I like using it when the humidity is down and the air is dry. I spray it in the coop at night, but you can also put it in their water.

I really use it sparingly, because it costs alot. I like it and it smells nice.

http://www.globalpigeon.com/gps.php?...showprod&id=14

Posted 30th September 2006, 06:51 PM
It's my understanding that respiratory infections in pigeons are highly contagious. That has been my experience, although whatever strain we had last summer was apparently not as deadly as the one you're dealing with. It sure spread fast, though.

It's also my understanding that respiratory infections in pigeons are often, though not always, caused by a combination of Chlamydia and Mycoplasma. I think that's why Doxy-T is so effective, because it combines doxycycline and Tylan (tylosin) to kill both organisms. In my pigeons it was more effective than Baytril in knocking the infection. Once I put the whole flock on it the outbreak stopped and we didn't have any more new cases.
Posted 30th September 2006, 06:56 PM
Treesa, this is a good one.
I will get it some day soon.

Maggie, if more than one bird got it, whatever it is, can probably spread form bird to bird or via aerosoles or respiratory droplets.
It's good you isolated them and keep them as far apart form eachother as possible.
Hopefully by Monday you will know what it is and have a specific treatment.

Reti
Posted 30th September 2006, 07:17 PM
Hi Maggie,

Might be good to mist the air and mist everything down in the loft and cages and soon, with "Oxine" (I got my gallon from Jedds or Foys...haven't used it yet but it is supposed to be a marvelous steralizer against anything and everything yet will not harm Creatres...or is even benificial for asthma, pnuemonias, or other repiratory problems...and can act like a medicine-antibiotic when misted in the air and breathed in...

Anyway, if you are not familiar with it, do a few 'googles'...it may just be a good thing for your situation...

Mine says "OXINE"...

"Fungacidal...Bacteriocidal...Virucidal..."

Made by "BIO-CIDE International Inc., Norman, Oklahoma

Comes in Gallons and larger sizes too..a Gallon I think is around $35.00 and it is a concentrate which will make many many Gallons for use.

There are different ways of useing it, and for us, this usually means that we add only a small amout of the concentrate to a gallon of Water, and 'mist' everything...misting the ambient Air also...

Best wishes Maggie..!

Phil
Las Vegas
Posted 1st October 2006, 08:52 AM
I am so sorry to hear of this terrible outbreak and the loss of your beloved Simon and Ringo.

Hoping and praying that this situation is resolved very soon and your other affected birds return to normal health quickly.

Big hugs and prayers,

Lindi and Jax
Posted 1st October 2006, 11:15 AM
Thank you all

Things seem to be stable right now and I sure hope it stays that way.

There are a couple of things I wanted to mention in case anyone else ever has this problem. All of our birds in that particular aviary have their little corners that they always stay in when they're not on the ground. All three that came down with it, Ringo, Simon and Boss Hog, stayed in one corner, along with several others. I thought it odd that they were affected. May have no bearing on what went on but it makes me wonder. We're keeping an eye on the others that we know use that corner. The other thing is that in both Simon and Ringo's death, picking them up seemed to trigger their dying. I don't know whether we pressed on the air sacs or not.

Boss Hog is finally pooping real poop. We moved him out to the garage so he could see and be with the others but put him in area by himself.

We have power washed the aviary and tomorrow will use clorox to disinfect and clean.
Posted 1st October 2006, 12:27 PM
Thank goodness Boss Hog is better. It was the first thing I thought of when I woke up this morning. All of our thoughts and prayers (and hearts) are with you guys right now.

Talk to me,
Coo to me,
Bow to me,
Listen to me.
And I'll teach you
To fly with me
And I will love you
Like no other....

http://picasaweb.google.com/awrats3333

21 Amazing Facts You Might Not Know About Pigeons!
Posted 1st October 2006, 12:42 PM
Maggie,
I am so so sorry for your losses. It is so very sad to lose loved ones, especially so out of the blue like that. I know how much I suffered when my cat died last year when he was 12, and he had been my love since he was born. My heart goes out to you, truly. I hope all the rest of the pijies stay well, and that this outbreak stays under control. Our thoughts are with you in this stressful time.
Sabina
Posted 2nd October 2006, 12:05 PM
I'm so glad to hear Boss Hogg is improving. Disinfecting is the best thing you can do. Hopefully you won't have any new cases.
Posted 2nd October 2006, 01:31 PM
That's good news, Maggie!

I, too, add my WARM HEALING HUGS and THOUGHTS TO YOU ALL!!

I know how detrimental stress can be and I hope you have no more outbreaks or deaths!

With love,
Shi and Squeaks
Posted 2nd October 2006, 02:03 PM
I love you guys!

Your support means so much to us.

We just finished dosing the birds and so far, so good. We are weighing them every other day trying to catch any weight loss. I was so pleased that Boss Hog has started gaining weight again and his poop is looking much better plus he is pretty frisky.

There is only one bird we're watching closely, Cookie, who seems subdued but is maintaining her weight and no heavy breathing. She has always been reserved and doesn't like being caged so I'm hoping that is all that is bothering her.

Still haven't heard from the vet but I am ordering Doxy-T today just in case the Baytril doesn't fully do the job. Everything is being disinfected. I was thinking this afternoon that in the apx 10 years we've had an aviary we have had only 2 die in them. One, Feisty, who died last fall from a kidney problem and Pearlie, who died several years ago when he flew into the side of the aviary.
Posted 2nd October 2006, 10:50 PM
Oh, Maggie! I am very sorry for your losses. You are so meticulous in your care of the birds...this is such a shock. Thank you for sharing your observations so someone else might benefit in the future.

Tags
avian vet, avian vets, bacterial infection, beak open, cod liver, cod liver oil, heating pad, hydrogen peroxide, pigeon rescue, respiratory infection