injured pigeon - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 13th May 2019, 05:16 PM

injured pigeon

hello there
my neighbour called me knowing that i keep plenty of animals (reptiles and invertebrates) to get rid of a pigeon for her that got into her apartment and that was being attacked by her cat.
i put the pigeon in a box seeing how it was injured with several cuts and later warmed him up, gave him a electrolyte solution and a variety of seeds to pick from, i saw him drink but unfortunately no sign of eating yet; this is a photo taken shortly after i caught it.
the pigeon looks young to me but i'm not sure as i am not used with handling birds.
i live in the center of rome, italy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (89.8 KB, 36 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 13th May 2019, 07:47 PM
If the bird has cuts from a cat he desperately needs antibiotics, such as amoxidillin. Thank you for helping him!
Posted 14th May 2019, 08:11 AM
Yes, he will need antibiotics. Try get the amoxycillin from a pharmacy, a 500 mg Betamox capsule will do. Some countries, unfortunately, you will need a prescription for that.

He is young and probably don't know how to eat by himself. You will need to forcefeed him frozen peas that has been defrosted in lukewarm water. Put him on your lap facing to the right (if you are righthanded). Reach with your lefthand over his body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside his beak over the tongue. If he spits it out, then you are not putting it in deep enough. This will take time, but you will quickly get the hang of it and he will soon start eating the peas by himself.

Feed him 30 peas 3 times daily, a total of about 90 peas.

Posted 14th May 2019, 11:14 AM
thank all of you for the answers!
i gave a pigeon sized dose of amoxycillin to him via the siringe method and added peas to his diet, and he's looking a lot more alert and active than when i first secured him, thank you again for all the resources that this forum contains regarding this topic.
Posted 14th May 2019, 11:55 AM
Hi, welcome to PT and thanks for helping him! He is really cute!

I'm glad to hear he is doing better.

You could wash the wounds with a saline solution then disinfect them (Betadine 10% would be ok) and put an antibiotic cream. Usually I disinfect the wounds and apply the cream twice a day. Have you noticed any bad smell?

You could look for a baby bird formula. You can find it in pet shops (like Arcaplanet) and even in some supermarkets. If you buy it, you could make some small balls (having the size of small peas) with it: just add some water to the formula, the balls must be not too hard or too soft. You could hand feed a few of them in add to the peas (same method).

Leave him always available a bowl filled with a large mix of seeds of different sizes and shapes. You could add to the mix dry legumes (the ones for humans) like mung beans, small lentils and peas. I also add a mixture for canaries containing dehydrated fruits.

You could also look for a vitamin supplement.

Please keep us updated!
Posted 14th May 2019, 01:36 PM
i have not noticed any bad smells and the cuts seem to be healing fine but i'm still going to disinfect the cuts nicely just in case, after handfeeding the bird i tried for a good hour to make him learn how to feed himself by tapping my finger and after a while he finally understood how to peck the seeds! still too clumsy to eat an entire pea by himself though.

Last edited by Vale; 14th May 2019 at 01:44 PM..
Posted 14th May 2019, 10:42 PM
How much amoxycillin are you giving him? I always give 12 mg per 100 gram birdweight. So if he weighs 200 gr, then you will give 24 mg in the morning and 24 in the evening again.

It's dangerous to give meds by a syringe in the beak, he could aspirate. You can take a small piece of bread, soak with the meds and put that deep inside the beak for him to swallow.
Posted 14th May 2019, 11:31 PM
If you just clean with a saline solution (boil 2 cups of water and add 1 teaspoon of salt, and cool to lukewarm). Bathe the wounds with the saline, cover with an antibacterial cream, and just make sure it stays covered with the cream to keep it clean and moist, as it heals. And then do as Marina has suggested and you will be okay.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 15th May 2019, 11:09 AM
did as advised, much easier to prepare the antibiotics with the bread too and cleaning and disinfecting the wounds went relatively smooth.
Posted 15th May 2019, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the update. Just make sure to kep the wounds covered and clean. Glad the bread balls made it easier.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 16th May 2019, 12:44 AM
Bad news! the pigeon apparently has a louse fly problem, noticed them crawling on the poor guy and one dead from when i was cleaning his wounds, any suggestions how to deal with the problem? They seem to be confined to subtropical and warm mediterrean climates like mine
Posted 16th May 2019, 07:33 AM
I hate them because they are hard to catch and to kill! They hide between the feathers and are cleaver.

I noticed that they are annoyed by Neo-Foractil spray (Formevet), it contains permethrin. You can find it in pet shops (about me I buy it at Fortesan which has recently became Arcaplanet).
You can spray it directly on him (under the wings, on his back, at the back of his neck), just be careful at his head/face (eyes, beak and nostrils). You can cover his face with a handkerchief or your hand. I suggest you to close the door of the room before spraying him. It will be easier to catch the louse fly if it leaves the bird.
You could spray it even in his box/cage.

Last edited by Colombina; 16th May 2019 at 12:08 PM..
Posted 22nd May 2019, 02:58 PM
update, the bird's wounds have completely healed and used neo foractyl to get rid of all the pests, the bird is extremely playful and social and is gaining weight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kefnet.jpg (71.4 KB, 15 views)
Posted 23rd May 2019, 12:51 AM
That's great news. Thanks for the update.
Posted 23rd May 2019, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the update. I'm really glad to know he is doing well 😊.

He is lovely!

Keep us updated!

Tags
pigeon