Injured pigeon please help - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 3rd August 2019, 04:06 PM

Injured pigeon please help

Hi I'm looking for any advice you can offer. I'm in durham uk and have a wood pigeon that has been hit by a car. We rescued him and put him up for the night with water food and a warm jumper in a box. It appears to have a broken wing/leg but is very well otherwise. no one is willing to help 'it's a rodent' to me he's Nelson and I'm willing to care for him regardless of what's he needs unless it's worse for life quality etc to keep him alive. we've had him a full day now and he's much better than yesterday. I don't want to wrap the wing or anything until I've had advice and the vet I called wasn't interested at all. any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 4th August 2019, 06:19 AM
Hi, thanks so much for helping him.

This is the website of pigeonrescue UK, you can find there some general information about wood pigeons and the link to the Facebook group Pigeon rescue and Protection UK. You could maybe find there someone available to help you.

https://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/

Is he eating and drinking on his own? Can you find bird vitamins? They will help him to stay as strong as possible.

Does he have any open wound? If so, you need to clean it with a saline solution then disinfect it (I use Betadine 10% or Éosine 2 %) and apply an antibiotic cream (according to my vet instructions I usually disinfect the wounds and apply an antibiotic cream twice a day). You also have to pay attention to any bad smell, a bad smell means that the wound is becoming infected. In this case an oral antibiotic is absolutely and urgently needed.

Could you please post a photo of the bird? It would be helpful to see his wing and leg.

Some years ago my vet explained me a "test" which helps to understand if a leg/foot is broken. I'm going to explain you it and send you some pictures:

- take your bird in your hand and gently turn him upside down;

- put your finger in the centre of the sole of the foot and exert a light pressure;

- if the bird close his foot and squeeze your finger with his fingers everything is ok.

If the bird is too scared maybe he will not close the foot at the first time so try the test again. It could help you to understand if the leg is effectively broken. Birds bones heal quickly so even the leg would need a bandage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190804_140313_1564920509606.jpg (2.33 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190804_140328_1564920531629.jpg (2.22 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190804_140343_1564920552474.jpg (2.38 MB, 10 views)
Posted 4th August 2019, 02:13 PM
Angry

Injured pigeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabi2091 View Post
Hi I'm looking for any advice you can offer. I'm in durham uk and have a wood pigeon that has been hit by a car. We rescued him and put him up for the night with water food and a warm jumper in a box. It appears to have a broken wing/leg but is very well otherwise. no one is willing to help 'it's a rodent' to me he's Nelson and I'm willing to care for him regardless of what's he needs unless it's worse for life quality etc to keep him alive. we've had him a full day now and he's much better than yesterday. I don't want to wrap the wing or anything until I've had advice and the vet I called wasn't interested at all. any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks
-dear gabi2091,-you are 100%correct,perhaps if you drove up in a Bentley or rollsroyce-,good advice in post #2[matriarch]-,most injured critter get no help,you sound very sincere,so the bird is in luck,-be aware of others-ie.landlords,neighbors,so called friends-[opportunists]-who do not care..exotics are great,this website has a library and with internet to aid you in the recovery of the pigeon..sincerely james waller