Lazy or sick? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 3rd November 2019, 04:27 PM

Lazy or sick?

I have a male pigeon named Boris, heís about 3 years old and an ex racer I believe. Since I adopted him, he seems just super chill and lazy compared to the female capuchin I had in the past (she passed due to reproductive issues I think). His poops look completely normal, he eats and drinks fine as well. No odd behavior, no recent changes in his behavior, and will still fly around every once and awhile. He just isnít as active as other birds Iíve seen or spent time with. Could it just be his personality, age, or breed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 6th November 2019, 07:59 AM
As long as he is eating well, then you have nothing to worry about. He must be bored, get him another female and I'm sure he will become more active. If you keep them indoors, make sure they get calcium with added Vit D3. It's possible the female you had got eggbound from lack of calcium and that is usually fatal.
Posted 9th November 2019, 01:12 PM
Red face

boris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie b View Post
I have a male pigeon named Boris, heís about 3 years old and an ex racer I believe. Since I adopted him, he seems just super chill and lazy compared to the female capuchin I had in the past (she passed due to reproductive issues I think). His poops look completely normal, he eats and drinks fine as well. No odd behavior, no recent changes in his behavior, and will still fly around every once and awhile. He just isnít as active as other birds Iíve seen or spent time with. Could it just be his personality, age, or breed?
dear sophie,-keep an eye on the poop,must be dark green/white top-little liquid,[I call them donuts]--may have to isolate until it is known,-I suspect salmonellosis [paratyphus]-in which case the poops turn runny/bright ,mis formed,-[amoxicillin]-10mgx2 daily-one week.--flying becomes difficult,or not enough energy--probotics and electrolyte good idea,-check the body for feather lice,bugs,exam the throat,overall inspection.,i hope something here helps boris..--sincerely james waller

Posted 10th November 2019, 08:51 AM
A male pigeon usually has a job, in which it is courting his hen, driving her to the nest, helping with incubation, then feeding babies.. he also brings the hen sticks or pine needles to build up a nest, protect his nest and hen.. and his area..

So ... with your pigeon, he has none of that , so he probably doesn’t know what to do, except relax. Esp in fall and winter...daylight being shorter, they take a break from mating and a hen does not lay as often.
Posted 13th November 2019, 02:16 PM
Precisely what Ladygrey said.

The main purpose of Pigeon(s) is to find food, mate and be responsible for raising the young ones. Once they have crop full of food they seem to loose purpose of flying around.

I have few regulars who come to my balcony, eat up the seeds and grains, and then just literally stand there on one foot in the balcony for the rest of the day, and eventually fly back home to another balcony in the evening.

On the days when wanderers eat up the food, these Lazy bums fly around looking for food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygrey View Post
A male pigeon usually has a job, in which it is courting his hen, driving her to the nest, helping with incubation, then feeding babies.. he also brings the hen sticks or pine needles to build up a nest, protect his nest and hen.. and his area..

So ... with your pigeon, he has none of that , so he probably doesnít know what to do, except relax. Esp in fall and winter...daylight being shorter, they take a break from mating and a hen does not lay as often.