Leg splay? (Astrid) - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 30th August 2019, 12:22 PM
I've finally found a seemingly good website which delivers to Spain (albeit that the shipping is a third of the order price). I want to get these two things.

https://thefrazersgroup.com/product/calcivit-b12/

https://thefrazersgroup.com/product/...rms-parasites/

Is there anything else anyone would recommend me from the website's options, or if these look like bad ideas, please let me know. I'd prefer to avoid anything I have to give via their water bowl. Most pigeons I have are young (but past the hand-feeding stage), and canker and coccidios are common.

The full pigeon supplement list: https://thefrazersgroup.com/product-...n-supplements/

Oh, and this! (Saving mostly for myself to remember the link for later) https://birdcareco-shop.com/categori...pplements.html

Last edited by Hekie; 30th August 2019 at 01:40 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 31st August 2019, 07:48 AM
Yes, if you rehab birds it is essential you stock up on meds and supplements. Using a vet when needed to do fecal cultures to see what medicine to use , if need to treat a bird, already having it makes a big diffence so treatment can be ASAP.
Posted 31st August 2019, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygrey View Post
Yes, if you rehab birds it is essential you stock up on meds and supplements. Using a vet when needed to do fecal cultures to see what medicine to use , if need to treat a bird, already having it makes a big diffence so treatment can be ASAP.
Obviously. I'm waiting to see if you and others think the ones I'm choosing are good or would suggest having others on hand as well. At the moment I rely solely on vets. I have a probiotic (recently bought) but do not have access to the same US and Canada websites so it's not so easy to say "just stock up on the usuals."

Do you think the two that I plan to buy are worthwhile having? Or would the antibiotics used by the vet for canker, coccidios etc be better than the one I propose to get. If you don't know, that's fine. But that's the information I'm seeking.

Posted 1st September 2019, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekie View Post
Obviously. I'm waiting to see if you and others think the ones I'm choosing are good or would suggest having others on hand as well. At the moment I rely solely on vets. I have a probiotic (recently bought) but do not have access to the same US and Canada websites so it's not so easy to say "just stock up on the usuals."

Do you think the two that I plan to buy are worthwhile having? Or would the antibiotics used by the vet for canker, coccidios etc be better than the one I propose to get. If you don't know, that's fine. But that's the information I'm seeking.
Hekie, I never use the 4 in 1s. They don't work well to cure anything as they don't usually have enough of the drug you need for what the bird has.
The calcium one may be okay, but have never seen that one. i love CalciBoost, and you can probably get it as CalciVet. If not, then I would get the one you were questioning. For canker, you would want Metronidazole. They also sell Fishzole, which is Metro. You just need to be sure there is no other drug added to it.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 2nd September 2019, 10:08 AM
Thanks Jay3, that's good to know. Metronidazole isn't freely available here, so far as I can tell. I need a prescription for the liquid form. I'll see if Fishzole or another version is available - I looked a while back without luck, but things change.
Posted 2nd September 2019, 06:37 PM
If you look where they sell tropical fish, they would probably have Fishzole, but just need to make sure that it is only metro, because sometimes now they add a wormer to it. I buy it online, at 250 mg a tablet. Then I just quarter it for adult birds, and cut the quarters in half for the squeakers or up to about 2 months old. Sometimes I forget how difficult it can be to get these things in different countries. I guess we are spoiled. Hope you can get what you need. Good luck!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 3rd September 2019, 05:01 AM
Thank you! I'm digging around online now.

For Calcivet, I can get that one - do you have a recommendation on whether to get the powder or liquid version?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Calcivet-10...oding=UTF8&me=

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Calcivet-Po...oding=UTF8&me=
Posted 3rd September 2019, 05:43 AM
Which kind you YOU rather use? Both are fine.
Posted 3rd September 2019, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygrey View Post
Which kind you YOU rather use? Both are fine.
I wasn't sure if people had experience with both and thought that one was a better method of ingestion for the birds. I prefer the idea of the powder but it might not get as much coverage.
Posted 3rd September 2019, 07:35 AM
Turns out I can't get either, they said they shipped to me but don't once you get further in the buying process. So frustrating. I'm visiting the UK in a couple of weeks but I need something for Astrid sooner than that. The search continues.

Update: found one for the D3 which is the immediate need. It should arrive on Thursday. I'll figure out the rest of a kit later. I lost a bird to what looked lile canker within half an hour of finding her on Sunday. It wouldn't have saved her bit since I find most of my birds on the weekend, it would help to be prepared from home.

Last edited by Hekie; 3rd September 2019 at 10:42 AM..
Posted 6th September 2019, 11:50 AM
I've started giving her the calcium supplement today, fingers crossed it helps. We're going on practice flights but her leg is still a problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190904_185018_1567792192424.jpg (918.3 KB, 19 views)
Posted 6th September 2019, 11:51 AM
Her right leg is often held up like this still
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190904_184802_1567792249061.jpg (1.02 MB, 19 views)
Posted 6th September 2019, 01:47 PM
Not sure whether a splay, or broken and heal badly, or some kind of deformity she was born with. If it is in the joint where she would bend it to walk or sit down, that would explain why she kicks it back so often. Poor thing can't bend it at all.

As far as your question on liquid or powder, I have both. The liquid is mixed in the water, and my birds don't seem to mind it at all, and the powder I like because I can give it to individual birds that may need a bit more, by lightly oiling their seed and sprinkling it on and mixing in. I like them both, if that should come up again. The liquid can be given individually as well with a syringe. Hope that helps.

Posted 8th September 2019, 07:06 AM
I'm no vet and I haven't read all the post here . However , is that blue leash wrapped around its leg ? it looks like it is , on the photo on your homepage anyway . If so , I don't know if that's a good thing or not . But I don't think so . Also , I think the pigeon will fly on its own when its ready .

I'm sure you're doing the best you can for it . So best of luck to you and your pigeon ,

Frank
Posted 8th September 2019, 08:30 AM
Thanks Jay3. The only one I could get was a powder in the end and I'm adding it to her food, slightly wettened. We'll see if it makes any difference. Clearly something happened to the leg when she was younger, could be any of the things you mentioned. She can hobble along ok on it, but generally relies on her other one. If she's in her cage, she's generally on both feet so it can bear weight and it does bend, but clearly either is weak or gives her pain or something, so when she's more mobile she relies heavily on her good leg.

Frank2620, the leash isn't around her leg and has nothing to do with the bad leg situation. Thanks for the luck.

Last edited by Hekie; 8th September 2019 at 08:42 AM..