Lump growing near beak - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 9th January 2017, 04:54 AM
Here is a pic of the cream. You can buy it in mercasystem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0675.JPG (24.2 KB, 22 views)
Advertisement

Posted 9th January 2017, 08:10 AM
Unhappy

rosequartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosequartz View Post
Just came back from school.I treated my pigeon who had pox and ornithosis. Pox grew out to be warts on both of his ears and he had small pox as well. It was hard to get him back to life but the medicines which I used actually worked. If it was canker it would easily identified from his poop. It would highlighting green and would like paint.If it is pox, you can apply pigeon pox cream on the warts/pox. He seemed to be alright in the pic. Guess it's pox. Give him good food and vitamins to help him regain his immune system. i will pray for your bird as well
I will give you a pic of the pox cream. You can buy it online.
Hi Rosequartz, thanks that would be great if you can give me a photo of what the cream looks like...I do have one that is liquid form called "thuya" I guess it is like Iodine my husband told me. So yesterday I put some on it...there is no puss or sore like lesions on it, just a bump...it seems to look more like an abscess to me???

We also gave him 50mg of Metr., and will continue for the next 9 days. His breath is terrible and he has a deep grunting sound he makes when we get close to him, he does not look like any of our other pigeons, I am thinking he is a King Pigeon??...we don't know if it is type of breed or an infection. Physically he is strong and healthy looking, he eats well.
Posted 9th January 2017, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Here is a pic of the cream. You can buy it in mercasystem.
thank you so much!

Posted 9th January 2017, 08:21 AM
Your welcome. Hope your bird recovers soon!
Posted 9th January 2017, 08:25 AM
King pigeons tend to be heavy and very big in build. He looks young so you can't tell now. When he grows you will be able to tell. There are 2 types of king pigeon (utility and show). I am guessing your bird could utility or just a domestic pigeon with white colors.
Posted 9th January 2017, 08:31 AM
Is the bump on beak and ear yellow or is it just bulged?
Posted 9th January 2017, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Just came back from school.I treated my pigeon who had pox and ornithosis. Pox grew out to be warts on both of his ears and he had small pox as well. It was hard to get him back to life but the medicines which I used actually worked. If it was canker it would easily identified from his poop. It would highlighting green and would like paint.If it is pox, you can apply pigeon pox cream on the warts/pox. He seemed to be alright in the pic. Guess it's pox. Give him good food and vitamins to help him regain his immune system. i will pray for your bird as well
I will give you a pic of the pox cream. You can buy it online.

Those green droppings don't indicate canker. They indicate that the bird isn't eating. That can be from many different things. Often with canker they can have those droppings, but they can have them with many other illness or injury as well.
They would need to get a swab sample from the birds throat for testing.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Last edited by Jay3; 9th January 2017 at 09:23 AM..
Posted 9th January 2017, 09:31 AM
Yes I agree many illness can cause green droppings. But for canker the white urates are like white paint along with the highlighting green droppings. And it is not solid.
Posted 9th January 2017, 10:03 AM
How is the bird doing?
Posted 9th January 2017, 10:19 AM
On the question of giving Metro in case the bird has Pox...............

Is there any treatment for pigeons with pigeon pox?

No. There is no direct treatment for a pox virus. Sometimes however, where pox vesicles form inside the mouth, because of the warm wet environment here, they can become secondarily infected with bacteria and canker organisms. Sometimes these birds will benefit from a short course of anti-canker medication and an antibiotic. This will help to dry up the lesion and make the bird more comfortable while the virus runs its course. Lesions on the skin are best left alone. Attempting to remove them or treating with various topical agents tends to cause more tissue destruction and delay healing.
http://www.melbournebirdvet.com/pige...ccination.aspx

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 9th January 2017, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Yes I agree many illness can cause green droppings. But for canker the white urates are like white paint along with the highlighting green droppings. And it is not solid.
With canker, the urates are often more yellow in color. With canker, the bird will often get the starvation droppings with a lot of wet around them, because they are not eating, but do drink a lot.

Posted 9th January 2017, 11:38 AM
Pox cream is suggested by vets. The cream does not contain any harmful chemicals. It makes the pox to dry off rather than growing bigger. when I applied this to my bird, the warts started to fall of within 15-20 days.
Posted 9th January 2017, 12:27 PM
Rose, I posted that whole paragraph more for the info on whether or not to give the Metro during pox. The info on putting anything on the lesions was part of the paragraph. But the fact that they suggest it, doesn't mean it is better to do it. Vets are sometimes wrong. The lesions may have dried up and come off by then anyway, which they will do all by themselves. There are many vets that will tell you to leave them alone too.

Posted 9th January 2017, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Is the bump on beak and ear yellow or is it just bulged?
it is not on the beak...it is below the beak but at the beginning of it...don't know if that helps...but if you can you can see the photos I attached of the lump
Posted 9th January 2017, 03:08 PM
I had a similar question about (maybe) pox knowing that diluted betadine (iodine) dabbing helps but I was reassured that since nothing happened for a while (the other pigeons were okay) it was not pox. Little wart. I cannot see clearly your pigeon's lump, can you indicate with a little arrow? My pigeon's "lump" was perfectly spherical.

Tags
bad breath, pigeon sick, sick pigeon, swollen, swollen beak