Maggots and Fly Strike - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Posted 16th January 2009, 04:37 AM
there are these two baby pigeons in my balcony who have beige/white bulbulous growths on either side of their heads and near their beaks. does anyone know what this could be? it does not look like maggots, so what other fungus or infections could they get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 16th January 2009, 04:54 AM
Are these lumps symmetrical? Could they be the nose wattles? Otherwise the thing that comes to ind is pigeon pox...can you provide a photo and/or let us know where you are?

Cynthia
Posted 5th April 2009, 04:11 AM
My Two Pegion Are Sick.they Have Dysentry Please Suggest Me Any Medicine

Admin: post copied to a new thread (Pigeons in India with 'dysentry') - please post any responses there

Last edited by John_D; 5th April 2009 at 04:41 AM.. Reason: copied to own thread

Posted 2nd August 2009, 05:56 AM
Excellent post, thank you for it. After finding a pigeon fly on Noddy my dove I am terrified of everything. As Noddy doesn't fly much and so spends a lot of time on the ground and spends time outside (it's very hot and humid here at the moment), I'm even more scared. I will keep some ivermectin on hand just in case. Thanks again for the great info!
Posted 2nd September 2011, 06:59 PM
Having worked in a vet clinic, we often see this on dogs and cats too.
Pets left outdoors, with wounds...sores... flies go and lay their eggs, maggots eat the rotting flesh but as they do so infection set in and more flesh turns bad....many pets die from this as well, the smell is nasty and what is the worst is the noise the maggots make as they squirm and eat... sorry, I know this is really gross but I have seen it too many times!

They are used in humans to help with wound cleaning but the person is followed closely and are kept on antibiotics to make sure it does not get infected... leaches and maggots... still being used today!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggot_therapy
Posted 12th February 2012, 08:21 AM
thank you so much for the share...poor birds
Posted 13th February 2012, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonpal2002 View Post
Hi Cynthia,

This is interesting and I've never heard of maggots feasting on live pigeons or animals. Do you know which species of flies do this and do you have any idea on how common or uncommon this might be?
I used to know a farm dog who got maggots in her ear once. Before the family could get them all out, the ear was permanently crooked and shriveled. Eventually the tissue healed, but it was very scarred and her ear never stood up like it used to (like a wolf's ear.)

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." J.R.R. Tolkien
http://libis.deviantart.com/
Posted 13th February 2012, 08:15 AM
Here's an article with a picture of a maggot up close *shudder*:
http://www.cracked.com/article_18871...icroscope.html

Posted 13th February 2012, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libis View Post
I used to know a farm dog who got maggots in her ear once. Before the family could get them all out, the ear was permanently crooked and shriveled. Eventually the tissue healed, but it was very scarred and her ear never stood up like it used to (like a wolf's ear.)
just to let you know pigeonpal2002 has been off the site since 2008.
Posted 13th February 2012, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit wings View Post
Didn't see that this had been gravedug. (I always just hit "new posts" when I come to this forum.)

Posted 13th February 2012, 10:35 AM
Quote:
The question he asked would probably be repeated by many if it wasn't there, so any information is appreciated. After all, this is a sticky so one of the first threads that would be found by someone looking.
Posted 28th May 2012, 01:18 PM

Scatt for maggots?

Hello. If I use the Scatt solution orally, will it kill the maggots on the bird? And how to use Scatt(moxidectin) topically for maggots? Thank you, from Los Angeles, California, USA.
Posted 17th July 2013, 02:46 PM

fly predators

I use little microscopic bugs called fly predators to cobtrol flies in the first place. They are cheap and very effective. The eat the eggs and larvae of the flies before the turn to adults.
Www.animalsforless.com
Closed Thread

Tags
injured bird, injured birds, tail feathers