Male King pigeon vomiting seeds and not eating for 2 days. Only drinks lots of water. - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 12th February 2017, 11:47 AM
Marina is right. Keep them separate. His health and the health of his mate is the more important thing.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 12th February 2017, 11:52 AM
The pigeon looks much better. His health is surely improving. He is no more energy less and does not sit around fluffing his feathers all time. Now he is excited, makes a lot of noise when he sees his pair nearby.

But one thing that worries me is the foul smell that still comes from his mouth. Is it sour crop? I am feeding him nystatin but I saw some videos in youtube where people are cleaning the crop of the pigeon. I have never done that and not sure whether I can do it. Should I try to do that? On the other hand, will sour crop cure itself?

Right now I am not even sure if it is sour crop or not. The videos in youtube show that the crops of those pigeons have bulged out but my pigeon's crop looks normal. It is big but normal for the crop size of male kin pigeons. So not sure if it is sour crop or not. Other than that the pigeon looks absolutely fine.
Posted 12th February 2017, 11:56 AM
Is he pooping? If sour crop, the crop isn't emptying, so the bird would not be making many droppings. Canker has a bad smell, and that is more than likely what it is. Do not try to empty the crop. If food is going in, but the bird isn't having droppings, you would know it. Put a few drops of apple cider vinegar in the drinking water if you have it there.
How much Metro is he getting?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted 12th February 2017, 12:02 PM
Hi,

The pigeon is pooping fine. Its poop is regular, albeit the amount is big. There is large faeces, urates, and it is also very watery (it drinks a lot of water).

Right now I am giving 60-80mg of metro, since it is a king pigeon and its has a good weight.
Posted 12th February 2017, 12:46 PM
I would give 50 to 60 mg if he is that large. Would be easier if you had a weight on him though. They do drink a lot with canker. I have had to take the water away and offer it to them several times a day, and not let them over drink, as some will just drink so much that they over fill their crop with water. They can't eat when they do that, as the crop is so full of water, and they can aspirate if it all comes back up. They also drink a lot with cocci. I use Coximed, which is given once, then 10 days later. And treat for canker in between. That's if there is a question of cocci also. I'm pretty sure you are dealing with canker.

Tags
king pigeon, vomitting seeds