Male King won't stand or fly. - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 24th November 2016, 08:26 PM

Male King won't stand or fly.

I have a Male King pigeon that has something wrong. He is moving his legs and wings, yet he won't stand or fly. He just does a flop on the ground. He has a mate and they have 2 babies around 2 weeks old. I came home late tonight and saw him just sitting on the ground in the middle of their loft. Looked down his beak and nothing abnormal. No signs of trauma, but I was gone all day for the holiday. I placed him in an empty nestbox for the night. When I first picked him up off the ground there was a small wet spot under him roughly the size of a US dime. It appeared clear ish and wasn't opaque like their droppings.
Here is a video of him attempting to move. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tiUUtCHQNs

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Slugg; 24th November 2016 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: Added more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 25th November 2016, 03:20 AM
Could he possibly have a calcium deficiency, perhaps some Calciboost may help him. Just as thought if he can't stand and seems okay elsewhere.
Posted 25th November 2016, 04:48 PM
Do your birds get vitamins? This can also be caused by a deficiency of vitamin B12. They should be getting calcium and D3 whether from the sun or from a supplement, and they need to be getting a good vitamin, as a seed diet is pretty much deficient of the vitamins they require to be healthy.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted 25th November 2016, 07:06 PM
Is an avian vet visit possible? Hopefully vitamins will help. Have not seen a bird move like that. Hope he is all better soon.
Posted 25th November 2016, 08:02 PM
Tonight I came home and he is flying, just not as well as usual. I took some rooster booster and mixed it for their water. I also took some and brought him inside to hand feed him with a syringe. So he drank a few milliliters of rooster booster vitamin and electrolytes mix before I put him back with the others.

Here is what I give them. If there is anything at Tractor Supply, petsmart, or Walmart that I can give them instead of or in addition to please let me know.
http://www.qcsupply.com/media/pdf/541079_Label.pdf

I was thinking of adding something like this to their feed in place of the rooster booster.
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/poultry-cell-16oz

Last edited by Slugg; 25th November 2016 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: Added to it.
Posted 25th November 2016, 08:48 PM
Don't know how much of each is in the poultry cell. Probably better than nothing, but they do sell pigeons vitamins on pigeon supply web sites, which would have more of what they need. They do need calcium also.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 25th November 2016, 09:33 PM
What kind of pigeon mix does he get?
Posted 26th November 2016, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
What kind of pigeon mix does he get?
He gets a wild bird seed with whole kernel corn and barley seeds mixed in myself. It's Milo, white millet, wheat, and black oil sunflower seeds. It says it's food for wild doves so that is why I chose it.I used to mix laying pellets in it but they would only pick the smaller pieces of it out so I stopped due to them wasting the larger pieces. The laying pellets is the only change he has had other than the babies on November 9th.

The king pigeon is about the same as yesterday. He can fly just not well or for long. I found him again on the ground standing up and I don't think he can get to the bottom perches that are around 2 feet high. I hand fed him some of the smaller layer pellet pieces because they are high in calcium and gave him some more Rooster Booster for the Vitamin D + all that other stuff it has.

Last edited by Slugg; 26th November 2016 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: Added more info.
Posted 26th November 2016, 09:41 PM
If he needs calcium, he will need more than what he will get that way, and should be getting a good pigeon vitamin. Really should see a vet that knows birds, to figure out what is wrong for sure. You can buy low dose human calcium and vitamin D3 tablets at the drug store, Then come back and we can help you with that.
How often do you give the vitamins?

Posted 27th November 2016, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
If he needs calcium, he will need more than what he will get that way, and should be getting a good pigeon vitamin. Really should see a vet that knows birds, to figure out what is wrong for sure. You can buy low dose human calcium and vitamin D3 tablets at the drug store, Then come back and we can help you with that.
How often do you give the vitamins?
I ususally give them twice a week in the water. So I have 2 full days that they drink it. I'll start shopping for a pigeon vitamin online and see what I can get them. If you let them fly regularly and scavange is the vitamin still required?
Posted 27th November 2016, 06:25 AM
Where do they scavenge? I do not think they can acquire the nutrients from their environment, and hopefully they are not picking up any kind of poison or toxin from the soil.

Also, if they are allowed free flight they might be picking up health issues from other wild birds, if they are in contact with them.

Posted 27th November 2016, 08:35 AM
They fly free? Are you sure he didn't injure himself while out?

Posted 4th December 2016, 02:25 PM
They aren't flying free yet. I was going to start letting them home. I haven't started food training yet, so I'll do that before I let them out.
Posted 4th December 2016, 03:05 PM
How is the bird? Did you get any vitamins yet? Up his calcium intake? Anything?

Posted 10th December 2016, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
How is the bird? Did you get any vitamins yet? Up his calcium intake? Anything?
I gave the whole flock a larger calcium intake by filtering all the small pieces from the oyster shells that we offer our chickens and offered that to the flock. I also started them on a vitamin you mix in the water. The male king is doing fine now. He perked right up with the vitamin though it was the same time his children grew up enough to feed themselves and leave the nest so he could have been overworked by raising his first babies.

Tags
pigeon cannot stand