My diamond Dove is very sick - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 30th July 2019, 02:49 PM

My diamond Dove is very sick

He is weak and skinny. He eats less often and barely ever drinks water. His poop gets stuck to his feathers around his bottom and to remove it it plucks out feathers. He never moves from the bottom of his cage and he never flys (I don't even think he can fly anymore). He has worsened to the point that he can't really stand up by himself when he used to perch on his food bowl and stay there. I think he is on the verge of death sadly. Is there anything I can do for him? He is around 5 years old (I got him from a PetSmart so I don't know his exact age).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 31st July 2019, 02:09 AM
How long ago did you get him? He sounds very weak, you will need to handfed asap. They have such tiny beaks, but is it possible to check with a flashlight deep inside the beak for any yellowish growths that might indicate canker?
Posted 31st July 2019, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birb View Post
He is weak and skinny. He eats less often and barely ever drinks water. His poop gets stuck to his feathers around his bottom and to remove it it plucks out feathers. He never moves from the bottom of his cage and he never flys (I don't even think he can fly anymore). He has worsened to the point that he can't really stand up by himself when he used to perch on his food bowl and stay there. I think he is on the verge of death sadly. Is there anything I can do for him? He is around 5 years old (I got him from a PetSmart so I don't know his exact age).
Take him to the vet and do not wait to call and get in. when a bird shows sickness they need attention ASAP.

Posted 31st July 2019, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
How long ago did you get him? He sounds very weak, you will need to handfed asap. They have such tiny beaks, but is it possible to check with a flashlight deep inside the beak for any yellowish growths that might indicate canker?
I got him 5 years ago. He is starting to eat and drink water on his own now but I don't know if he eats enough.
Posted 1st August 2019, 12:41 AM
What does the droppings look like? If brown and firm with a white dot on top (resembling a raisin), then you know he is eating enough. If green and creamy, then he is not getting enough food.

Also: does he get direct sunlight (not through a window), apple cider vinegar, probiotics and vitamins in the drinking water on a regular basis? All these things helps to keep a dove/pigeon healthy and can make a big difference.

If you notice him only eat one type of seed, make sure there's always some of those available for him. Plse post a photo of the droppings.
Posted 1st August 2019, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birb View Post
I got him 5 years ago. He is starting to eat and drink water on his own now but I don't know if he eats enough.
Take him to the vet and do not wait to call and get in. when a bird shows sickness they need attention ASAP.
Posted 4th August 2019, 10:47 AM
Quote:
What does the droppings look like? If brown and firm with a white dot on top (resembling a raisin), then you know he is eating enough. If green and creamy, then he is not getting enough food
His droppings do look Brown and firm. I've attached a picture.
Quote:
Also: does he get direct sunlight (not through a window), apple cider vinegar, probiotics and vitamins in the drinking water on a regular basis? All these things helps to keep a dove/pigeon healthy and can make a big difference.
He only gets sunlight out if a window. I am starting to take him outside so he gets sunlight and fresh air. He does not get apple cider vinegar but I give him a nutritional supplement that can be used by both humans and animals. It has been helping him a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2507_1564936516794.jpg (238.3 KB, 19 views)
Posted 5th August 2019, 05:24 AM
The droppings does not look to bad, bit of yellowish urates. The apple cider vinegar in the drinking water helps to restore the good gut bacteria. He will only benefit from it.

Maybe he is just old, who knows.
Posted 16th August 2019, 11:30 PM
Sadly today my diamond Dove died. Thank you all for helping me help him.
Posted 17th August 2019, 01:41 AM
I'm sorry you lost him.
Posted 17th August 2019, 08:26 AM
That is too bad, was hoping it was not too serious, but as I said if a bird shows sickness sometimes it’s already too late., because they hide symptoms well and at last stages it shows.

If you get a new pet, be sure you understand and have the funds to take them to a vet if needed. Humans need doctors, and so do animals.