Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 15th July 2019, 09:46 AM

My dove Afonso dislocated her left wing

My female dove has laid consecutive eggs for the past 2 weeks which debilitated her a lot, we were giving calcium on her beak 2 times a day and vitamins.

One thing she liked to do was exercise herself and flap her wings and fly from my hands to my brother's hands to eat bread crumbs. she loves bread.

On Friday she seemed a bit different, i thought maybe she was tired because of the egg laying, but as she flew the day before i never imagined what would happen next.

On Friday as usual she flew from my hands to my brothers hands but she fell in mid air like she was pulled down and hit the ground. It seemed to me that she hit the floor with her left wing but i wasn't sure.

The vet was closed on Saturday and Sunday. She couldn't perch or fly from perch to perch (loss of balance due to wing probably ). She stayed all the weekend at the bottom of the cage. She couldn't eat by herself so it was me who picked her and gave her food and water by hand and also Meloxicam for the pain and calcium and vitamins.

Today i took her to the vet, she has lost lots of weight, her weight floated around 145/150 grams but now is 134 grams. Also she had an X-ray done and the worst was confirmed: Dislocated left wing.

Vet imobilized her wing and told me wing needs to heal and gave it 15 days to a month. She needs to stay all the time at the bottom of the cage with food water available at all times. She will probably not fly anymore. Besides imobilization she has to take anti inflammatoty, calcium, something for the pain and vitamins.

My question is: can a dove survive with a broken wing? what will be her quality of life from now on? i don't want her to suffer.

Please can someone tell me what i can do as this is a first for me, i had a dove before this one, a male one for 22 years and he died of old age and Afonso has been with my family since 2011 and never an accident like this happened.

I'm frustrated, sad and impotent to help my dove but how could i know she would fell mid air? My guess she was weak before and the dislocated wing was due to weak bones caused by egg laying.

Has this happened to any of you? i have a big cage but vet said she cant use that cage anymore and that she needs a small one because of not being able to fly anymore in the future.

Last edited by Picollo30; 15th July 2019 at 09:48 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 15th July 2019, 07:02 PM
Lack of calcium can have a bad effect in the bones. Giving it on her beak wasn’t enough. She should have a calcium supplement in her water and calcium grit to eat as she chooses.

She should have a nest to lay eggs in, and left alone to sit on them if she does do that, because if she does, then she will not lay another so soon and give her body a break from laying eggs, laying so many back to back , depletes her calcium in her body.

Direct sunlight is needed or uvb lighting for birds so her body can use vitamin d3 which is needed to metabolize the calcium use by the body.
Posted 16th July 2019, 06:06 AM
Hi didn't know about fake eggs or that i shouldn't throw away the egg because sometimes she ate the eggs and i throw them away now. She goes for weeks laying eggs 2 eggs per week one day interval between them. Then i have to supply her with liquid calcium on the beak trough a syringe because she doesn't like it on water and doesn't drink it and also multivitamins. She used to recover everytime but this time around it was too much on her.

As for a diet i give her seed mix Versele Laga and Zupreem fruit blend pellets. I don't give her grit because the only i could find here in Portugal is for pigeons and too big for her.

Do you think she will ever fly again or walk normally?

Posted 16th July 2019, 07:50 AM
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about that accident.

I have a broken wing pigeon, Apple. Even if she can't fly she is a really happy pigeon and has a good "pigeon life", she also has a husband. At the beginning she was sad and didn't understand what was wrong (I remember that she flapped and flapped her wings like an helicopter...) but as time goes by she understood her new "condition". Now she has her own indipendence, she is able to do "small flights" and to jump, just for example, from the floor to the table. She walks and runs around the home. In the bad case even your dove will understand her new condition and will learn how to live with it. Just give her time. Even Apple needed some time.

My brother rescued a pigeon who had a dislocated wing, the vet put a bandage. She needed time to heal but she started to fly again. Just wait and see...

Females can suffer from a temporary eggs laying paralysis (during or after the egg laying cycle) caused by the egg pressing on the sciatic nerve (Apple suffered from it once). In this case they can't walk and/or fly. Maybe your dove had this problem and so fell down on the floor. A female can suffer from many egg related problems.

https://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/eggrelatedproblems.htm

Can you find there pigeons picking blocks/pickstones? They are good sources of calcium, all my birds (even my dove) love them. Here there are different types of blocks having different ingredients (oysters shells, minerals, insoluble grit, anise, clay, etc), if you can find one I will explain you how to give it to your dove. It's important to leave always available a source of calcium. Laying eggs deplete calcium, a lack of calcium causes many issues (fragile bones, soft beak, eggs with soft shell, etc) . Have you ever tried to give her cuttlebone?

It's also important to replace the real eggs with fake eggs (you can't just throw away the real ones), if you can't find them you can use Easter decorations eggs (I use them, you can paint in white the colored ones).

One of my birds didn't want to drink vitamins because they looked yellowish (he had a transparent water bowl). In this case, you can put them in a dark bowl (like a dark blue bowl). Some vitamins have a strong smell, in this case you could look for a different brand.
What vitamins and calcium supplement are you using?

How is your cage? In the bad case, you could maybe set up it for a disabled bird or look for a new cage like a rodents cage.

I give to my birds too the Versele Laga mix. As I want to give them a balanced diet I add to it pigeon/dove mixtures of other brands and dried legumes (the ones for humans that you can find at supermarket) like small lentils, peas and mung beans.

Last edited by Colombina; 16th July 2019 at 04:28 PM..
Posted 16th July 2019, 10:23 AM
Like Columbina said, cuttlefishbone is a good source of calcium. You can grind it up into smaller pieces, or just put down the whole piece. If she is the only dove (no male involved) then you don't need to replace the real eggs with fake ones. She is eating her eggs because her body needs calcium. You can boil some chicken eggs, grind up the shells and offer that to her. She will also need direct exposure to sunlight on a regular basis (not through a window) for the body to absorb the calcium.

Even if she can't fly anymore, she can still have a good life.
Posted 16th July 2019, 12:52 PM
Of course, if you don't have a male the eggs are not fertilized (I assumed you have a male 🙄...). I would replace them in any case because for any reason a real egg could get broken.

I forgot to say that you need to put the calcium (cuttlebone, picking block, etc) in a separate bowl from food.
Posted 17th July 2019, 12:31 PM
Quick Update

Afonso has been eating on the bottom of the cage with difficulty because she doesn't have balance and falls to the side or the front with her beak, but she is a warrior and has increased her weight 4 grams, she was 134 and now 138 grams which means she is eating by herself.

As for water she has trouble drinking water so we are giving her water by syringe not much just enough to hydrate her. She is taking her meds on the beak as well: 2 x Tramadol for the pain (every 12 hours) 1 x Meloxicam anti inflammatory (every 24 hours, 3 days max), liquid calcium and liquid vitamins (every 12 hours).

As i said she has trouble moving around because she has an immobilized wing and sometimes falls and uses the beak to regain her balance.

Also what's the best way to clean her rear feathers from the poop?
Posted 17th July 2019, 11:01 PM
Keep her in a cage to minimize her movement. Put down a soft blanket on the bottom of the cage. She will need time to recover. To clean her feathers: take a piece of cottonwool soaked with lukewarm water and just keep on wiping down the feathers until clean.
Posted 18th July 2019, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picollo30 View Post
Hi didn't know about fake eggs or that i shouldn't throw away the egg because sometimes she ate the eggs and i throw them away now. She goes for weeks laying eggs 2 eggs per week one day interval between them. Then i have to supply her with liquid calcium on the beak trough a syringe because she doesn't like it on water and doesn't drink it and also multivitamins. She used to recover everytime but this time around it was too much on her.

As for a diet i give her seed mix Versele Laga and Zupreem fruit blend pellets. I don't give her grit because the only i could find here in Portugal is for pigeons and too big for her.

Do you think she will ever fly again or walk normally?

Her eating her eggs shows a desperate lack of calcium. Doves don’t eat much fruit as that pellet is for hookbill parrots or keets. Seeds lack calcium that is why they need a supplement.

You need to find a grit high in calcium online if you can’t local. You will have to do the things I mentioned to get your dove in better health.
With the water supplement add small amounts slowly. She should get used to it if done very slow.

If you can find vitamin d3 tablets with calcium for humans, I would cut a 500mg in thirds, and open her beak and put a piece in the back of the throat so she swallows it, give one every other day for a week, while your slowly adding calcium to her water, and ordering her calcium grit.

In the mean time see if she will eat Finley chopped dark greens like spinach also

Last edited by Ladygrey; 18th July 2019 at 05:08 AM..
Posted 18th July 2019, 03:58 PM
Quick Update about my dove Afonso

I took her to the vet today and she will stay there till Monday. She was having trouble eating and drinking and moving around with her dislocated immobilized wing so i thought she needed more professional care than what i could provide her. They have nurses and doctors and i'm sure they will feed her, medicate her andnd treat her right so that her bones can mend. Hope i did the right thing.

It will be expensive but when we love our animals that's what matters.

@Ladygrey bought her this grit

https://www.versele-laga.com/en-de/p...rit-with-coral

and a cuttlebone for when she recovers

Last edited by Picollo30; 18th July 2019 at 04:12 PM..
Posted 19th July 2019, 04:15 AM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picollo30 View Post
Quick Update about my dove Afonso

I took her to the vet today and she will stay there till Monday. She was having trouble eating and drinking and moving around with her dislocated immobilized wing so i thought she needed more professional care than what i could provide her. They have nurses and doctors and i'm sure they will feed her, medicate her andnd treat her right so that her bones can mend. Hope i did the right thing.

It will be expensive but when we love our animals that's what matters.

@Ladygrey bought her this grit

https://www.versele-laga.com/en-de/p...rit-with-coral

and a cuttlebone for when she recovers

Oh yes, I actually forgot about cuttle bone, it can be put in a bag and then smashed in small pieces for them to eat as they want.

Good wishes to your dove , I hope she improves.

Last edited by Ladygrey; 19th July 2019 at 04:18 AM..
Posted 20th July 2019, 06:03 AM
I really hope she will feel better soon. Let us know something on Monday.

You can cut the cuttlebone in small pieces with scissors.

Please keep us updated.
Posted 28th July 2019, 01:40 PM
Quick Update

My female dove Afonso is back home from a week stay in the vet, she is taking her medicines,. Tramadol for the pain, Liquid Calcium, Liquid Vitamins (she had a broken wing /femur after she fell on the floor trying to fly, was to weak from egg laying).

She is recovering, still limping, she's walking but on one leg but her balance improved. But she's not eating, i mean, she has seeds and pellets on the bottom of the cage but she doesn't eat, though if i give her bread she eats it and starts pecking my brother's hand and face so he gives her more.

Bread doesn't provide any nutrition to the birds right? I'm puzzled and don't know why she's not eating. As for water i need to pick the drinker with water and show it to her and she drinks that way.

I wish i could see more improvements, i just hope she will be able to walk in the future
Posted 28th July 2019, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombina View Post
I really hope she will feel better soon. Let us know something on Monday.

You can cut the cuttlebone in small pieces with scissors.

Please keep us updated.
what can replace the cuttlebone i think its not appropriated to birds with a soft bill right? maybe grit? or powder calcium maybe?

Last edited by Picollo30; 28th July 2019 at 02:45 PM..
Posted 29th July 2019, 04:57 AM
Lack of calcium can have a bad effect in the bones. Giving it on her beak wasn’t enough. She should have a calcium supplement in her water and calcium grit to eat as she chooses.

She should have a nest to lay eggs in, and left alone to sit on them if she does do that, because if she does, then she will not lay another so soon and give her body a break from laying eggs, laying so many back to back , depletes her calcium in her body.

Direct sunlight is needed or uvb lighting for birds so her body can use vitamin d3 which is needed to metabolize the calcium use by the body.

Tags
dislocated wing, dove, egg laying.