My Pigeon isn`t well...Please Help - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 28th January 2006, 09:27 AM
Ed, this is one of the greatest pigeon rescue stories I've ever heard. He might not let you near him (some pigeons are like that) but he must love you very much and trust me, he knows all you did for him and is very greatful.

I am glad he is feeling better. I hope he just was a little under the weather (happens to them just like with us humans) and now starts feeling better. I hope that's what it is.
Anyways keep an eye on him and hope he recovers fully within the next few days.
Treesa will be on soon and will give you all the doses you need. She is our expert in natural treatments.

Reti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 28th January 2006, 09:38 AM
What a wonderful story and rescue, thank you so much for helping this needy youngster!

Keep him isolated for a day or two just to make sure whatever he has is cleared up. He needs to rest as that helps with healing and stress of trying to act like a normal pigeon may bring him down again.

The apple cider vinegar, is best if you can find the all natural kind. The dose is 2 tablespoons to a gallon water, so that will give you enough to do a whole flock, and I'm sure the wild pigeons won't mind! Apple cider vinegar provides the proper PH in the crop and gut that bacteria, like coccidiosis and canker don't like. Make sure the measurement is exact, a little less is better then more, some birds don't relish the taste, in which case add less to the water.

Do you have a health food store available to you? Probiotics can be purchased at health food store, usually in the refrigerated section. Acidophilus is one bacteria, there are usually many others. They provide good gut bacteria to humans as well as birds. Sometimes just the addition of this will crowd out any bacterial infection they have. Now brand soft gel garlic caps, one a day will do fine, or you can actually cut a clove and put a little of it in the water bowl, on the day you are not using ACV.

Thank you for being such a wonderful caregiver.

Posted 28th January 2006, 10:59 AM
Hi Ed,

Your story about Shalken is one of the best rescue stories I've read as well,
and the set up that you've provided to him over the years is so ideal. I'm glad to hear that he is doing better and that his girlfriend continues to come and go which I'm sure brings him good cheer and hope, along with your visits of course .

The natural vinegar described, is the one w/the 'mother' in it. It will appear somewhat cloudy/stringy in the bottom of the container, this is the mother as opposed to the clear kinds that have been pasteurized. According to Chalmers,
one tablespoon per gallon is all that is needed to create the acidic environment that the 'good bacteria' likes to thrive in. 'Bad bacteria' does not like acidic environments and so will not multiply. Many folks do put 2 tbls. per galloon, although you wouldn't want to go higher than that, as Teresa mentioned.

You can also get the garlic in a capsule as well as the probiotic. Many of the chain drug stores have a vitamin section with these items if you have no health food store close by.

Also, if you check our resource section, there is a link to pigeon supply houses that you can get nutritional supplements from as well as other products for your pigeon. Here is a link for pigeon supplies in the UK that is not listed in our resource section:

http://www.everythingforpets.com/category/use.dept.1/

Thanks for all you have done for this little guy to give him quality life and companionship.

fp

Posted 28th January 2006, 03:48 PM
Well, Ed,

You're not the only member in Northamptonshire. We have at least one rehabber over there somewhere who's pretty good. This is one of her posts:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpo...0&postcount=20

I'm going to email her with this thread link so that she can step in here in case Shalken doesn't rebound.

Pidgey
Posted 28th January 2006, 04:15 PM
Hello Ed, great story about Shalken.

The first thing that popped into my head was worms. Since he is confined to the ground, he may have picked some up. Or, coccidiosis.

Maggie
Posted 28th January 2006, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Tarheel
Hello Ed, great story about Shalken.

The first thing that popped into my head was worms. Since he is confined to the ground, he may have picked some up. Or, coccidiosis.

Maggie
Maggie has a good point about the worms especially as your pij is a grounded one. That is something that you can have a treatment for on hand through the pij supply houses in addition to the herbal remedies for on going care.

fp
Posted 28th January 2006, 05:56 PM
Hi there Ed,

What an amazing story and such a good surprise. When I opened your posts today I wasn't sure what I would read but your story was really touching. It is a beautiful story about love, trust and loyalty for a disabled bird.

I wanted to comment about the amount of food Shalken is eating (or not eating). A quote from your past post is as follows:

I had to go out for a couple of hours then and when I got back in he was all out of his covers and I noticed that his seed bowl was almost empty, not that he had eaten it all, but it was all scattered around, good style.

Scatttering seeds means Shalken is selecting what he likes and this is a good, normal behavior for pigeons. It doesn't tell you how much, if any, he ate though. I have only recently started putting out a measured amount of seed for my bird. At the end of the day I collect up the remainder to see how much he ate and what kinds of seeds he is favouring. This has yielded some usefull information for me about his state of health and about what I might be feeding him.

I would say, if Shalken is still under the weather, let him have as much as he wants for the moment of any particular seed but try to measure what remains so you will know how much was actually consumed. And please keep posting to keep everyone updated on Shalkens progress. I think you are doing a really good job Ed and your friend is being well cared for.

Cameron
Posted 30th January 2006, 01:37 AM
Hi Ed,

Raw, Apple Cider Vinegar...one and one-half Tablespoons to the ( U.S., but Imperial would likely be not so far off as to make much difference) Gallon of Water.

Let this then be his drinking Water for a while...

Now...the 'Tube Paint' kind of 'Green' is maybe not a good thing when we see it.

I see it in starved Pigeons, who have not eaten in some time...

I do not see it otherwise that I recall.

So, it yields then to something else once they are eating and food is being digested and so on to pass through...

Columbia 'Liva' anyway, normally, should make poops which are moist, yet firm enough to be easily picked up with one's fingers...and, generally, these will be about the size of a Raisen, but some Birds make smaller ones and some larger.

If you can locate a sympathetic Bird Rehabber or Avian Vet, who are experienced in doing fecal exams, then do see about gathering a Tablespoon or so of poop for a sample and bring it to them, or Next-Day Mail to them, for them to analyse.

What is his diet?

Obviously he gets good fresh air, Sunshine when you have it, and plenty of excercise and social life...and these of course are all very good things...

Now, he might have some kind of 'worms' which have made him feel ill or effected his health...these - if intestinal or stomach - will likely show in the fecal exam in some way.

Well, off to bed for me now...

Hope all goes well with him...!

I enjoyed your recounting of your and his story...

Best wishes,

Phil
Las Vegas

Last edited by pdpbison; 30th January 2006 at 01:55 AM..
Posted 1st February 2006, 04:02 AM
Hello all.
Well, thank you for the great advice and I have taken it...as far as I can at the moment.
I`ve had Shalken on the Apple Cider Vinegar for about three days now and I have to say, there is a great improvement from what he was like last week. He is still not his old self however, and doesn`t seem inclined to go out at the moment which is of course, fine by me, he can stay in as long as he wants.
He has been eating on his own for a few days now so no worries there either, and he does buck up a bit when his girlfriend comes in and they start canoodling each other lol.
Today I picked up some Acidophilus capsules and wanted to know how much do I give him, and how.
On the bottle it says it is Acidophilus with 100mg Pectin...are they safe for him? I take it each capsule is 100mg. I`d appreciate any advice on how much to give him.

All my best to everyone and thanks again for your help.
Posted 1st February 2006, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMurray
Today I picked up some Acidophilus capsules and wanted to know how much do I give him, and how.
On the bottle it says it is Acidophilus with 100mg Pectin...are they safe for him? I take it each capsule is 100mg. I`d appreciate any advice on how much to give him.

Hi Ed,

There really is no set dose for probiotics/acidophilus for pigeons or animals. They can't overdose on these products. If these capsules are small enough for the pigeon to swallow, I would give him 1/day for about a week. Then you can taper off to 2-3 capsules per week after that for maintanence purposes.
Posted 1st February 2006, 04:48 AM
Hi Pigeonpal,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I think they just might be a little too large for him to swallow comfortably, I`m probably wrong about that but I don`t want to take any chances.

I`m nor sure what is inside them, liquid or powder? I`ll have to open one and see. Whatever it is though, could I add it to his water like I have been doing the Cider Vinegar? His water trough holds about two pints so I`d probably add say three capsules? Or would it be better to mix the contents with just a small amout of water and try and do it with the syringe?
Should I keep him on these for very long?
It is good to know about it being hard to overdose on them though.

Hope you don`t mind all the questions, it`s just that I`m a novice with this am just feeling my way.

Your help is very much appreciated.
Posted 1st February 2006, 04:54 AM
Hi Ed, no problem about the questions

It's powder inside and you could try to add it to the water but I've found that it normally doesn't mix well with water and will float on top instead. It depends on the kind of probiotics they are and what ingredients have been added to them. Try and see if it mixes with water and if it doesn't, you'll see a layer on top kind of like how oil rises to the top of water.

You could sprinkle the powder on the seeds though. First you would lightly coat the seeds with oil such as corn, olive or sunflower oil. Just a few drops really, then sprinkle the powder from the capsules on and mix the seeds well. Try experimenting with both ways and see.

Probiotics/acidophilus should be a regular supplement given to pigeons. Like I mentioned, try giving these for about a week or so every day then you can reduce it to 2-3 days a week. The good bacteria contained in these products keep pigeons healthy, especially if they are sick. You could purchase probiotics from the pigeon supply stores that are meant to be put in the water if that would be easier for you.

Last edited by Pigeonpal2002; 1st February 2006 at 04:57 AM..
Posted 1st February 2006, 05:12 AM
"You could sprinkle the powder on the seeds though. First you would lightly coat the seeds with oil such as corn, olive or sunflower oil. Just a few drops really, then sprinkle the powder from the capsules on and mix the seeds well. Try experimenting with both ways and see."

Brilliant!
Exactly the sort of advice I was looking for!
I think that is the best way for me to go at the moment...as I say he is eating fine on his own now.
I`m going to do him up some new seeds right now and start getting some into him.

Thanks so much Pigeonpal (or can I call you Brad?)
Posted 1st February 2006, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMurray

Thanks so much Pigeonpal (or can I call you Brad?)
You're welcome And you can call me Brad, it's my name afterall
Posted 1st February 2006, 06:22 PM
Brad has given you excellent advice. I like the probiotics on the seeds too.
For sick pigeons I do give a whole capsule down their throat and I had never had a problem them not swallowing it, even the young (small pigeons) had no trouble. You can wet the capsule in water and it goes down easily.

Reti

Tags
apple cider vinegar, avian vet, avian vets, bacterial infection, beautiful birds, brewers yeast, broken wing, electric heating pad, gut bacteria, hawk attack, heating pad, local pet store, nesting material, pet store, pigeon food, pigeon rescue, pigeon supplies, pigeon supply, pigeon supply houses, pigeon supply store, rehydrating solution, sick pigeon, sick pigeons, wild pigeon, wild pigeons, young pigeon