My Pigeon isn`t well...Please Help - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 1st February 2006, 06:52 PM
Smile

Hi Ed,

I do hope Shalken will make a full recovery! You have done such a remarkable job with him! Have you had a chance to have a fecal check for worms or other nasties?

Mr. Squeaks and I wish you all the best and look forward to updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 2nd February 2006, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reti
For sick pigeons I do give a whole capsule down their throat and I had never had a problem them not swallowing it, even the young (small pigeons) had no trouble. You can wet the capsule in water and it goes down easily.
Reti
If you do give the whole capsule down the throat it is best to put some olive oil on the tip before you put it down the back of the throat, it is much easier to administer. You have to be very careful, especially when giving it to the smaller birds, like I have given at times to my Satinettes.

The capsule glides easily, when slippery behind the back of the tongue, but you do have to use your index finger to gently push it down the throat. When you don't see it anymore, gently close beak, and rub their neck (under throat) in downward strokes.

The reason we give the whole caps a few days, is because it will quickly repopulate good bacteria, crowding out bad bacteria. This is very beneficial with diseases of the gut, and when the birds are doing huge wet poops. Only use the whole caps a few days, and go back to administring a small serving.

This supportive care, is used in conjunction with garlic, ACV, and more depending on their symptoms.

Posted 2nd February 2006, 04:10 PM
Hello all.
Mr Squeaks, I`m taking Shalken to a vets tomorrow courtesy of my sister. I intend to take some fecal stuff with me (fresh) and see what he says.
Shalken is well enough to wish back to you and Mr Squeaks good health too

Tress Grey and Reti:
I actually did manage to get a capsule down his throat, well I say "manage", it went down pretty easily to be honest!
I wet the first one ala Reti`s instructions and it went down a treat, the next time I`ll dip it in olive oil and I expect it will go down even easier.

I`m not so concerned like I was this time last week, I really thought I was going to lose him, but Shalken is certainly not himself...he is eating, drinking, cooing with his lady friend, but he seems so reluctant to leave the confines of his nest area. He was so adventurous before, now he seems he doesn`t want to move around too much.
I don`t mean he is paralysised or anything, he can certainly walk around when he wants to, it`s just the change in his behavoiur is so noticable.

I know any one of you here who has pigeons or any other pet as such, will know exaclty what I mean. You know instantly when your charge isn`t up to par.

Best wishes to all as always,
Ed.

Last edited by EdMurray; 2nd February 2006 at 04:42 PM..

Posted 2nd February 2006, 04:47 PM
I know what you mean, sometimes even if they act quite normal, I know something is wrong. Usually they get back to their normal state in a few days.
I am glad you are taking Shalken to the vet. Many thanks to your sister.

Reti
Posted 3rd February 2006, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMurray
I know any one of you here who has pigeons or any other pet as such, will know exaclty what I mean. You know instantly when your charge isn`t up to par.
Best wishes to all as always,
Ed.
Hi Ed,

Thank you for doing everything to get Shalken back to his usual happy active self. I know right away when one of mine aren't feeling 100%.

Glad you are taking him to the vet.

Posted 3rd February 2006, 10:17 AM
Hiya, my name is Karen and I'm too in Northampton, i'm sorry I have only just seen this post as my son's been in hospital for past week, and also Pidgey wrote to my email addy advising me of the post, so sorry for the delay. Well sounds like you have been doing brilliant with him. Which vets did you take him too and what was the outcome? Really appreciate an update to whats happening now. So nice that you have made the relationship a lasting one and he is confortable around you and trusts you ) So nice to find someone else in Northampton too who has the love of pigeons ) Please keep us posted x
Posted 3rd February 2006, 03:34 PM
I'm glad you're having a vet check him out. It could be partly psychological if something bad happened to him while he was out, such as an attack by a predator.

We no longer free-fly our pigeons, but when we did, we had a few birds that ran into trouble while out and they didn't want to go anywhere once we got them back. One survived a hawk attack, one got into poison and barely survived, another got lost for a week. None of them acted like themselves for quite awhile after returning. In your case Shalken may have some physical issues too, as did my pigeon that was poisoned. But a pigeon that has a close call is often reluctant to leave the safety of home next time.
Posted 3rd February 2006, 04:34 PM
Birdmom, now that you mentioned it. My Victoria who was poisoned, her mate died due to poisoning and her babies were removed (killed) was depressed for a long time. She's been living with me for a year and a half now, has a new mate, no babies though, but still acts quite odd sometimes, she is the most quiet pigeon I have, and distrust me, she never got used to me poor thing. I don't blame her, she knows humans did this to her.
Ok, sorry I went off topic now, but thought I share Vic's story.

Reti
Posted 3rd February 2006, 05:31 PM
There is a psychological element in all kinds of physical as well as emotional trauma our pigeons face, whether it is injury, poisoning, disease, and losing their mate or/and babies, and more. Some things will effect them much more then others.

Psychological stress should always be considered in every patient we take on in rehab. You have to consider both physical and mental, as each will effect the other.

We don't know their full history sometimes, and we should therefore respect their needs, and rehab the physical being as well as the emotional part of them. Once the physical body starts healing and the bird feels better overall the wmotional well being will also change, to the extent that they are capable.

You can support their overall good health by supplying them with B complex vitamins that will boost their energy, and a give them a sense of well-being, and happiness. Brewers yeast is a good source, and can be sprinkled in the seed, or can be bought in pellet form also. Calcium and vitamin D will help with calming the nerves, as well as build calcium reserves. Nutrients found in good varied diet usually supports mental as well as physical health. They go hand in hand.

Posted 10th February 2006, 12:17 AM
Hello all, just a little update.

Shalken was free of worms and is now well out of the woods according to the vet, although he didn`t really seem to know as much about it all as some of the great people here do/did. The vet`s advice was pretty minimal to be honest but he said he could find nothing wrong with him. I did mention the possible effects of fright or trauma and he agreed that that could be a factor but as people here said, it is very hard to tell what happened in such an instance, if anything happened at all that is.

He`s still not his old self though, seems reluctant to "do anything".

Anyway, he is eating well, and is having regular probiotics and his apple vinegar and for the past couple of days I have opened the patio doors and sort of encouraged him to go out for half an hour...it has been rather sunny here the past couple of days and not cold where I let him out. He seems happy enough when he`s out there but I don`t let him stay out too long at the moment.
He`s making plenty of noise with his girlfriend but don`t think they have "done it" as such for a while, but as I say, there is no rush for him to do anything he doesn`t want to.
I`m quite happy with his progress, just wish he would get right back to his original lively state.

Anyway, thank you everyone for replying to my posts, I can`t thank you enough for your friendliness and advice.
Thank you too Karen for replying...good to know there are others near who care

All the very best to everyone and their feathered friends,
Ed.
Posted 10th February 2006, 12:26 AM
Hi Ed,

Glad to hear he has been given a 'Clean Bill of Health'..!

It could just be that some close call with a Cat or other scarey Animal had given him some sobering pause for thought...and intruded on his previous blithe Spirit and sense of casual security and Bon Vivant self.

He is a 'Ground Bird' yes? So he might now have come to some anxiety about what can be 'out there', where, he may not fly up or away if he needs to.

I had raised a Roooster when I was a kid, from a hatchling...and, he one day had some altercation with a Cat, when he was pretty well just full grown...and for three days or so, he just stood like a statue, and we'd pick him up and put him here, or there, in the house ot take him back out to poop now and then, and so on, till gradually he came out of it, and for some while after that, he was not so 'easy' and happy-go-lucky with things like he had been previous...

I forgot about this, havent thought of it for years...

Phil
Las Vegas
Posted 10th February 2006, 12:37 AM
Hi Ed,

Glad to hear the good update from the vets and that there were no worms found in Shalken

I have some questions for you about your situation, I have a theory of what might be going on. It could be totally wrong or even silly to suggest but just maybe. I'm at work right now so I can't really get into a long discussion back and forth and I have quite a few questions as well to ask. Will try to get back about this tomorrow.

Thanks again for the update though, sounds promising
Posted 10th February 2006, 12:48 AM
Hi Ed,

I wouldn't want to be too concerned about minimal advice from the vet. Vets, like doctors will for the most part give the clinical view and they will sum it up for you in just a few short words. That is them just doing their job as they were trained without getting too emotionally involved. This is normal. For moral support, advice, personal experiences, life philosophy, emotional reaction and good alternative health ideas this is the place to be at pigeon-talk. You can probably feel it every time you sign in.

Just like I do too.

Cameron
Posted 10th February 2006, 04:36 AM
That is great news Shalken got a clean bill of health from the vet.
You're doing a great job with him. With time and TLC he will get back to his normal self, no doubt.

Reti
Posted 10th February 2006, 08:28 AM
Hello all and thanks for your good wishes, they are all appreciated.

I will try and get my sister`s digital camera in due course and take a couple of pictures of Shalken and his good lady and post them here. They make a handsome couple

Brad, I look forward to your thoughts on the matter as always.

All the best,
Ed.

Tags
apple cider vinegar, avian vet, avian vets, bacterial infection, beautiful birds, brewers yeast, broken wing, electric heating pad, gut bacteria, hawk attack, heating pad, local pet store, nesting material, pet store, pigeon food, pigeon rescue, pigeon supplies, pigeon supply, pigeon supply houses, pigeon supply store, rehydrating solution, sick pigeon, sick pigeons, wild pigeon, wild pigeons, young pigeon