My Pigeon isn`t well...Please Help - Page 4 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 10th February 2006, 09:47 AM
Ed, I'm so glad Shalken was cleared by the vet and is physically okay. It may take awhile for him to fully return to being himself. My hen that was lost for a week acted very strange for several months after her return. She had no physical injuries. She had been a great mother, in fact she and her mate had raised four broods that year. But after getting lost and returning she would build a nest, lay eggs, then scatter the eggs and nesting material and abandon it. It was the strangest thing. Eventually she returned to normal and would sit her eggs for the whole brooding period again. But whatever happened to her really rattled her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 10th February 2006, 10:44 AM
Hi Ed,

Ok, I'm questioning my theory today as I just went through and re-read all your posts on Shalken, however...

Are you very familiar with pigeons' behaviour and do you know for sure whether Shalken is male and not female? Have you seen who sits on the nest during the day and night...males on during the day and females take the overnight shift.

Anyways, I was thinking that perhaps Shalken was female and perhaps was having complications with passing an egg when this all happened. Perhaps she was in distress. On this same note, I was thinking that even if Shalken is male, that they are the ones that will find a nesting spot to call to the female. Sometimes they will just sit and lay down, calling to their mate to come and inspect the nesting area. They can be very persistant and almost go into a trance at times. Have you seen this behaviour before and does it sound like this could be a possibility? Sometimes, males are very tenacious in this respect and if his mate is unable to come and visit him, he might just sit around waiting for her.

Anyway, as I said, it was only a theory and probably not the greatest one but I'm trying to see the simpler aspect of things. From your descriptions, he sounds basically fine otherwise and this is just one thing I came up with.

Sorry if I'm insulting your intelligence at all with these suggestions. It seemed like a good theory last night but I needed to refresh your story.
Posted 10th February 2006, 12:13 PM
You know, realistically there isn't a way for a vet or a doctor to give anyone a "clean bill of health". You never know what mischief is working inside when it comes right down to it. I think Shalken passed a fecal float and that doesn't even actually have to mean that he's not full of worms. For instance, a bird ingests a bunch of worm eggs because he took one small mouthful of dirt that had some laying in it. They hatch out in the stomach and penetrate the intestinal lining, go into the bloodstream, make their way to the lungs and spend a few weeks growing.

In the meantime, the bird has a little bit of discomfort from that but presents no symptoms that we can detect other than not being as perky. The worms finally get coughed up and swallowed and finally lodge in the intestines to grow to their full size. I don't know how big they have to get or how old they have to be in order to start laying eggs but it's a chunk. And I think I've read that there are both male and female worms so it's even possible to have several male worms with no females which wouldn't make any eggs at all. My bird Debbie didn't have any worm eggs in her fecals for awhile and I finally wormed her because the other symptoms said they had to be there. I got quite a few out.

I'm just pointing out that we can never be completely certain, even with a plethora of lab equipment. There are, quite simply, too many things that they can get. You just have to keep an eye out for all the symptoms and sometimes take a leap of faith.

Pidgey

Posted 10th February 2006, 12:23 PM
Hi Pidgey,

Wouldn't you and the others agree though, that sometimes.....sometimes, there isn't a medical reason behind why pigeons behave the way they do? Would you agree that perhaps that not everything that happens to pigeons is necessarily connected to an illness?

I find that on occasion, we as humans feel the need to look deeper and we question things exponentially when we don't understand. In my years of pigeons, I've come to realize that not everything that goes wrong with pigeons can be found in a medical textbook or disease symptom list. They are living beings and they have behaviours that sometimes we just don't understand.

I think it's worth considering these options at times and just chalk it up to that, I'm not saying in this particular case that there is nothing wrong healthwise. However, whether this situation or any other, there might be times where we are just left scratching our heads?

Sometimes we/us are just so darn close to the source of concern that perhaps we make too much out of things?....possible or not
Posted 10th February 2006, 12:45 PM
Yes, I believe that they have a full array of emotions, just like the rest of us. I've certainly seen them get depressed for unknown reasons. And they certainly are individuals--there are curious ones, mean ones, loving ones, stand-offish ones, ad nauseum. I do tend to worry if an individual changes his behavior though. And, of course, there are only so many tests that you can do on the outside of the bird. If nothing shows up, then about all you can do is make sure they get plenty of good things like vitamins, probiotics, sunshine and luvvin' (unless they're allergic). If that don't work... then you just worry.

Pidgey
Posted 10th February 2006, 08:17 PM
Hi Brad, thanks for getting back to me as always.

I`m pretty sure Shalken is the guy but I`m not an expert.
Afew points why I think so:

He is on the eggs during the day.
He is by far the main nest builder.
I`ve seen his lady friend on the nest for ages when she is trying to pass an egg and although I haven`t actually seen it, she is always the one to emerge after the laying.
He is the baritone, she is the soprano. That is very noticable...is that a good indication of sex by the way?

All the best,
Ed.

Edited to add:
I have peeked when they get it on (can`t help it, they are noisey about it!) and Shalken is the one who jumps on her...I know, shame on me

Last edited by EdMurray; 10th February 2006 at 08:40 PM..
Posted 10th February 2006, 09:05 PM
Hey Ed,

That sure sounds like a giveaway tell tale sign to me. I'm with you now on who is male and who is not.

Cameron
Posted 10th February 2006, 09:21 PM
"Hey Ed,
That sure sounds like a giveaway tell tale sign to me. I'm with you now on who is male and who is not.
Cameron"

Hey Camrron...
Yep, he likes his lady, he is a bit frisky as they say! And so very affectionate...I think he knows "Valentines Day" is coming up LOL

Last edited by EdMurray; 10th February 2006 at 09:24 PM..
Posted 17th June 2007, 10:04 AM
I'm resurrecting this thread to post a couple of pictures of my two pigeons, Shalken (who has only one wing), and Wing Pong (so named because he used to use his wing like a ping pong bat to shoo me away!).
Their stories are in this thread for those who didn't read it first time around, Shalken who had his wing amputated, and Wing Pong who I found with a broken wing and tried to fix him up best I could. Wing Pong looks very grown up these days and not like the baby in the pictures!
My Shalken is a fine looking bird is he not he is my old chap and close to my heart (not that the others arenlt too of course!)

First Shalken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shalken 1A.jpg (97.0 KB, 29 views)
Posted 17th June 2007, 10:06 AM
Shalken again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shalken2A.jpg (88.2 KB, 30 views)
Posted 17th June 2007, 10:08 AM
Last one of Shalken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shalken 3A.jpg (75.8 KB, 30 views)
Posted 17th June 2007, 10:10 AM
First Wing Pong
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP1.jpg (93.4 KB, 30 views)
Posted 17th June 2007, 10:11 AM
Last picture.
My best to all here and their feathered friends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP2.jpg (98.1 KB, 30 views)
Posted 17th June 2007, 10:14 AM
What a couple of sweeties.

Thanks for sharing.

Posted 17th June 2007, 10:55 AM
Ed, they are both beautiful. Shalken's lack of a wing is barely noticeable. The vet did a good job. You did a good job too on Wing Pong's broken wing. I can't even tell it was ever broken.

Tags
apple cider vinegar, avian vet, avian vets, bacterial infection, beautiful birds, brewers yeast, broken wing, electric heating pad, gut bacteria, hawk attack, heating pad, local pet store, nesting material, pet store, pigeon food, pigeon rescue, pigeon supplies, pigeon supply, pigeon supply houses, pigeon supply store, rehydrating solution, sick pigeon, sick pigeons, wild pigeon, wild pigeons, young pigeon